What happens when the built-in battery fails--can it be replaced, as in an iPod?
asked by DeAnna on June 30, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
The battery is replaceable. Hopefully some aftermarket chargers will come out soon so the battery can be charged out of the camera. That way you can use the camera while the other battery is charging. The battery is a Sony NP-BX1.
Rolla Gravett answered on July 2, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sony will have an external battery charger in Sept.
PMA1953 answered on July 18, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi D.,

I highly recommend getting the Wasabi battery kit for this and any other camera you have. I discovered the Wasabi kits, for sale on Amazon, when I bought a Panny GF-3 as a gift for a friend. They are available with one or two batteries (I choose two), lower price than Sony brand, come with charger, car adapter, and round plug adapter (great for travel). Finally, the Wasabi replacement batteries have a higher capacity than the original Sony or Panasonic that I've used (including the RX100). Extra battery, and you can charge without tying up the camera in the mean time.

Hope this helps.

Keep shooting ~ zkot
Scott answered on October 11, 2012
Comments (2) | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
When I got my camera in Aug 2012, I was not willing to put up with having to charge the removable battery in the camera. So I bought a kit that had a charger and two batteries. It wasn't the Wasabi one mentioned below. My batteries are Power 2000 3.6V, 1600mAH batteries. At one point someone warned me that using off-brand batteries could damage the camera, but I've had no problems at all and get good camera life from them. I found some pill boxes at Container Store that are a good size for these batteries. I've put a couple of small strips of paper criss-crossed in each box wrapping around the battery. I wrote "charged" and "dead" on the ends of one strip where they overlap. I always have an extra battery with me with the "charged" note showing. When I replace a battery, I put the used battery back into the case with the "dead" notation on top. With this system, I won't accidentally put an exhausted battery in my bag; and with three batteries, I can always have two live ones with me while the third is charging.
S. Canzoneri answered on June 8, 2013
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The battery pops in and out, same as it would in most cameras. You just (currently) have to charge it in the camera. As someone else said, Sony is developing an external charger.
pengu1n answered on July 20, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This universal charger might work for this Sony:

http://youtu.be/JyvDREgpuAs
Fixup answered on July 24, 2012

A
It's not actually a "built in" battery. You can charge the removable bat in camera, but I bought a spare bat & charger from 3rd party (from Amazon) and have used it a lot w/ no probs.
Joshua Freedman answered on January 12, 2013

A
[Deleted by the author on Jul 18, 2012 4:13:29 AM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›