Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Sixth Man forum

Why is the hardcover cheaper than the Kindle edition?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2011 5:28:12 AM PST
Tom says:
Why is the hardcover of Baldacci's book cheaper than the Kindle edition?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 7:56:47 AM PST
Golf Granny says:
I would also like to know why kindle are sometimes more than hard cover. It makes no sense. It is a disappointment because I expected kindle and paperback to be the same price. Should be, it must be cheaper to produce book without paper.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 7:48:19 AM PST
I would also like to know the answer to that question. I thought having a Kindle would enable me to get books less expensive than hardbacks. I don't read paperbacks as a rule. I just have been waiting until the Kindle price goes down since I have enough books to last. Since you buy the Kindle, it seems you should get a better "discount." Very disappointed about that. The prices used to be a lot lower.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 8:42:04 AM PST
T. Straub says:
Price on this book is set by the publisher who is the actual seller of record (see right below the price) who seem to force the high prices. For Books where Amazon is the seller the prices of Kindle books are much lower than hardcover.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 8:45:50 AM PST
M. Galbraith says:
I'm not saying it's right, but the publishers have set the price for the electronic edition to prevent sellers like Amazon from cutting the price to compete with other electronic sellers. Kind of like price fixing, but not illegal, since the same restrictions apply to all sellers od the same product. It sucks, but it's not illegal. Maybe if enough people complain, the publishers will get a clue.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 8:49:56 AM PST
Yes, I hope a lot of people complain also, as well as not buy the books until the price does come down.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 8:50:49 AM PST
I wish Amazon was the seller on all Kindle books! Thanks.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 11:40:52 AM PST
JTHiker says:
What is the best method to lodge our displeasure over the higher than necessary prices?

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 12:31:47 PM PST
Danal says:
The actual publisher, who set the prices, is the "Hachette Book Group"

Customer Service: customer.service@hbgusa.com
Telephone: 800-759-0190
Fax: 800-331-1664
Hours of operation: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM (Eastern time zone)
Address: 3 Center Plaza, Boston MA 02108.

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 12:37:12 PM PST
W. Allen says:
Regarding Kindle book prices. As with most other products, the producer sets the price. When Kindle was in its infancy, prices were low, now that they and other devices are more available and popular, the publisher is selling fewer hard cover books and more downloads. Obviously, they have got to make up for the losses in print. As a long time Kindle owner I liked the lower priced books too. Sadly, they are probably a thing of the past. I also liked $1.00 gasoline and $.50 bread. By the way I have no connection to publishing, Amazon or any author or agent - I'm just a reader who really likes the convenience of Kindle.

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 4:44:29 PM PST
Ringleader says:
Sad to say it but I won't be buying anymore Kindle new releases. This is price gouging at its worst.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 1:54:26 PM PST
always wait till publication to buy. price will always be lower.

why does amazon guarantee lowest price for hardback, but not for kindle?

cwduck

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2011 2:04:08 PM PST
I too thought I would benefit using Kindle (pricewise), but love that gizmo. I find myself trying to turn the page it feels so "booklike". BUT to combat the price I have decided if there is only a $2 difference more for the hard cover I will purchase the hardcover from Amazon and when read continue to give my books to the local library, a storefront in a little strip mall in a town of 600+ here in Texas. I will get the free books on my Kindle until the offending companies see the "light".

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 4:05:40 PM PST
bbempress says:
Love David Baldacci books but am disappointed to find that the popular authors' Kindle books are more expensive than hardcover in pre-release time period. it is the voice of you -- the consumer -- being vocal and outraged over another publisher reneging on their commitment to Amazon that the prices are too high and also exceed the initial $9.99 pricing. David Baldacci fans -- unite in our protest. No buying kindle version until it drops to $9.99!

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 9:29:20 AM PST
thx255 says:
If you think this is a rip-off, look at Burnt Sienna by David Morrell. First released in March of 2000, the Kindle price is $12.99 while you can get a new mass market paperback for $0.99. Some publishers need to get a clue.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 11:06:22 AM PST
P. Knopf says:
I agree with what I'm reading but I'd like to add a few thoughts, when you buy a hardcover though Amazon you should get the Kindle version included. Of course it is a lot easier for multiple readers in your family to read a book at the same time with the Kindle version so that is also worth something.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 11:45:46 AM PST
Probably a little publisher "greed" (AKA "Profit") mixed with editing costs for "Kindle Edition" format

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 1:13:33 PM PST
Just don't buy. Send the publishers a message.

James
DEADLINE

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 7:26:41 AM PST
I've pretty much quit buying the Kindle version for that very reason. I wait for the paperback to come out, then buy a used one for $0.1 and $3.99 shipping, total $4. Price is more important to me than the convenience of the Kindle. There's plenty of free stuff I can d/l on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 7:28:00 AM PST
Thought they were. If not Amazon, then who is the seller?

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 9:23:48 AM PST
Not buying again...off to library reserve list

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 1:14:49 AM PDT
Gregory Mays says:
Don't buy anything until the price is below $10. Period. Don't buy the hardcover or the paperback ever!! Hold that line, and it will change.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 10:42:55 AM PDT
Bookaholic says:
I've bought and read hundreds of Kindle books but the price inflation on new releases is way out of hand. Lately I've been going back to some classic novels which are dirt cheap and usually done by much better writers. I enjoy reading the mysteries and thrillers by current authors; they are fun and great for escaping into an exciting world. These entertaining books are not great literature and I don't want to clutter up the house with dead tree books unless they are real "keepers". I now just wait and read the newer books when they have been out long enough to drop back to a better ($9.99 or less) price. Considering how the quality of most authors' novels deteriorates over time due to their formulaic writing and use of collaborators (in the mode of Dumas) it is a real insult to be charged $14-$16 for a new e-book. Save some money and read the top 100 novels of __________ fill in your own blank. Just as the music publishers blew it with digital sound, so now are the digital book publishers killing their own golden goose. Most readers and certainly most Kindle users aren't stupid. There are plenty of good buys on Amazon for e-books and even some on B&N as well although it seems (to me) that Barnes & Noble is somewhat more of a price gouger.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 6:39:37 PM PDT
Bill M. says:
I chose not to buy the Kindle addition because of the price. It is too bad that Amazon and the publisher are not making use of the cheaper distribution over the internet and passing the savings along. I haven't bought a Kindle yet, I use the PC version or the version for my iPhone, and frankly, I don't think I will be buying one soon with content at these prices.

It is too bad because the Kindle is very good technology. I guess Baldacci will still be a good read even if I need to wait and get it for free from the library.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 3:59:34 PM PDT
L. Rockhead says:
ditto - one of the reasons I bought the kindle was that I would save on the price of buying new books. Guess not...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Sixth Man forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Sixth Man
The Sixth Man by David Baldacci (Hardcover - April 19, 2011)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,137)