hmmm... Confused?? Christianity = becoming a better me??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2007 9:49:20 PM PST
S. Hwang says:
Since when did the purpose of Christianity become bettering myself?

I haven't read Mr. Joel Osteen's book (I may pick it up, just for kicks), but I have listened to his sermons on podcast, and as even non-Christians criticize it, it does seem like "Theology-Lite".

By no means am I saying "he's the devil/false prophet!" for (1) who are we to judge, and (2) we can see fruit of Christians that ARE being inspired from his church... but I was just confused why Osteen focuses so much about bettering myself, because no matter how hard I try, I will not be able to better myself, which is not the goal of Christianity at all in the first place.

My purpose in life is to share a intimate relationship with Him, even though I am a weak and wounded, desperate sinner. I cant better myself; He betters me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 5:38:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2008 5:39:00 PM PST
Karen Zemek says:
First off, you may want to read the book before you criticize it.

The gist of the book is to actually put into practice the Biblical principles that God gives us and exercise our faith by believing God's promises, primarily that God is in control, loves us, redeemed us and adopted us as His Child. Therefore, we need to trust God for the future and that He is working in our lives right now. This book is about living the abundant life that Christ wants us to have. (See John 10:10 where Jesus says, "I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly.")

For more specifics, please check out my customer review. Keep in mind though that this is not a complete list, but only a partial list of things that really stood out for me to start practicing more in my life. There are tons more!

--Karen Arlettaz Zemek, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 7:27:23 AM PST
I have to agree that these titles sound not very much like a guide for Christian living but more of a security blanket. I have not read the books, nor do I intend to. The titles of his books smack loudly of self help, feel-good fluff. (Yes, I am judging a book by its cover because in this case it speaks volumes even before reading word one of the book itself.)
Had I not known that the author is an evangelist I would have assumed, from the book titles, that he was just another lifestyle improvement guru who's full of bull.
Hopefully it's not just more chicken soup for the brain. (i.e., Keep a happy outlook. Strive for success, and so on.)

The focus is entirely on You, you, you. Not others? Not God?
Isn't Christianity more about loving your neighbor or doing good works than improving your lifestyle and self esteem?

"Become a Better You."
"Your Best Life Now."
Very clever titles; Who wouldn't want to read books with those titles? They sound great, in a very self-centered sense. Most folks aren't truly happy, so they see these books and buy them.
He certainly will make a lot of money telling folks what they like to hear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 10:54:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2008 10:55:10 AM PST
Karen Zemek says:
I am not going to argue about this book. I liked it. I got a lot out of it. For your information, it doesn't just focus on me, me, me. He talks about building others up, encouraging one another, praising God and being led by His Holy spirit. If you don't want to read the book, fine; but then don't be criticizing it and jump to wrong conclusions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 11:56:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 2, 2008 12:25:51 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 2:38:01 AM PST
Karen Zemek says:
This has nothing to do with this thread. I'll be happy to give you an answer if you go to my profile page here and contact me from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 8:16:25 AM PST
futurmajic says:
"I cant better myself; He betters me."
We better ourselves by allowing him to better us.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008 9:14:15 PM PST
E Bookmaster says:
Oh, I beg to differ. We are children of God. He gave us dominion and it is our heritage to be fruitful...our heritage. We can do all things thru Christ who strengthens us. Your comment is what is so scary about Christianity. Some Christians feel that they are weak, desperate sinners as you say. So what does this mean, that our Creator created a weak and desperate creation? I am sorry, but I will not believe that. Your comments are exactly why the Church is in its predicament it is now. Power belongs to each and every one of us and because you want to give yours away doesn't mean we all have to. I prefer to live freely and happily because that is who my Creator intended me to be and that is who IAM.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2008 9:18:38 PM PST
E Bookmaster says:
You sound like you are not happy and don't want anyone else to be happy. You don't read the book but you put it down and speak on things that you don't know and that are not based in reality. How can anyone take your word for anything when it comes from such a bad, cynical place? Why do people like you assume church has to be punishing, not enriching and anything that can bring one pleasure or power is sinful. It's like you've given up all hope in life. This is surely not what Christ meant.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 17, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about