Can it hold on with just two screws in the upper horizontal bar? After I bought this I figured out that it needs to two vertical studs to hang. But I have only one horizontal one and the width is about 5", 1" less then what it needs. The only option I have is to mount with only top horizontal bar, but not sure if this will hold or not. Mine is a 42" Plasma from panasonic. Any idea would be appreciated.
asked by goodguy on March 5, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
votes
That is what I did with a different mount in my daughters' room. If you cannot get all of the mounting screws into a stud, your friend's suggestion is spot on. You mount a piece of wood to the stud that is large enough to mount all four points of the bracket. In the end, it will be behind the tv anyway...but there is a lot to be said for the peace of mind, knowing that your tv isn't going to fall.
Dubya answered on June 20, 2012

A
votes
Thank you for your suggestions. I was also thinking that mounting just top screws may bend the frame or make a hole in the wall itself. One of my friend suggested to mount another piece of wood (stud like quality) on top of the horizontal stud and then mount the frame on it. This will allow me to mount one screw at each "corner" of the frame and hence support the lower part of te frame..
Once again thank you for your response.
goodguy answered on March 12, 2011

A
votes
A 42" plasma TV weighs about 50 lbs. You need at least four bolts or heavy duty screws that will penetrate at least one inch into some wood or masonry wall framing to safely hold that kind of weight with this mount, especially if you live anywhere that might have an earthquake.

If all of your are fasteners are right next to each other, or only in the upper or lower bar, the mount may flex and bend when the weight of the TV is added. The metal used to make this mount is not extremely rigid or heavy duty, so as to reduce its weight and to keep the price of this product low.

You need to have the fasteners closer to the left AND right sides of both the upper AND lower bars of this mount, rather than just in the middle of the upper bar, even if you have several fasteners together. This will help to prevent the rather flimsy metal from bending, by holding the mount tightly flat against the wall.

If your wall framing is horizontal only, You can mount the screws in the upper bar to the framing, but you will still need to fasten the lower bar to the wall with another kind of 'hollow wall' anchor, to keep it tight and flat to the wall. This should still be strong enough to safely hold the weight of your 42" plasma.

I hope this helps you to install it safely.
MadCarpenter answered on March 11, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›