Customer Discussions > Seinfeld: The Complete Series forum

I am holding out for a Blue-Ray set

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2009 5:11:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 6, 2009 7:20:07 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 5:17:16 PM PST
How much do you think it will be? $ 250 perhaps?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 7:09:30 PM PST
Why would you hold out for a Blu-Ray set of a TV series that was obviously recorded in regular TV (= DVD) resolution?
The only advantage would be that the whole set would fit on just 3 Blu-Ray discs.

Wd

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 7:12:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 6, 2009 7:19:27 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 7:19:08 AM PST
V. LEWIS says:
You know, that never occurred to me that it IS a TV series. It will probably never be on BlueRay. I guess i messed the 99 dollar deal, because i see it is now 179.99.
I wish I had seen your reply yesterday. Maybe some day it will return as a special during XMAS time - or a Seinfeld Anniversary day thing.

Thank you again Whaledad for setting me straight on BlueRay (not for older TV series type shows).

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 8:22:12 AM PST
I'll wait for it to go back to 99 bucks.....

for sure!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 9:34:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2009 9:35:13 AM PST
stlouisbrad says:
I wouldn't wait for a Blu-Ray version either. But I would point out that some old shows are now being shown in 720p or better on HDNET. I was watching Hogans Heroes from the sixties the other day in HD. It was amazing - lots of details I had never seen before. My favorite was the scar on General Burkhalters right cheek. It looks like a scar in standard def. In HD it is clearly a red grease pencil. He should go to the Russian Front for that!

I am guessing Hogans Heroes was shot on 35mm film stock. If Seinfeld was shot on film, then a Blu-Ray version is possible..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 9:36:33 AM PST
Eez-nuts says:
Otherwise keep an eye out for Best Buy to have it on sale. I got mine there about 4 months ago on sale for $139 with the Best Buy exclusive refridgerator case and magnet set. I don't know if it justifies $40, but the refridgerator does a nice job protecting the set, is a good conversation piece, and the magnets are kinda fun too. In regards to a blu-ray edition, I'm rather skeptical of that as well since it was made in the 4:3 aspect ratio.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 11:09:30 AM PST
The thing is that this show cannot ever be released in high-def, as I am fairly certain that it was always shot on video. This is a problem with a lot of tv series produced in the 80's and 90's, since they were not shot on film, they cannot be transferred to high definition. TV shows prior to the eighties were often shot on film, just like movies, so those shows can be transferred to high-def (such as the original Star Trek). Still...this is one of the best shows ever, and you know that they cleaned up the video as much as possible for the dvd release, so basically this is Seinfeld as good as it's ever gonna look. Don't bother waiting for a blu-ray release.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 11:52:48 AM PST
V. LEWIS says:
Thank's Stlouisbrad - so there is hope for Seinfield someday!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 12:42:24 PM PST
stlouisbrad says:
Upon further review.. it turns out Seinfeld was filmed on 35mm stock with Panavision cameras. This means Warner Brothers can produce an HD version of Seinfeld at any time they want. The 16:9 35mm film stock shoots a 4:3 TV picture with a "safe zone" to the left and right covering an HD friendly 16:9 frame. To learn more just google "Seinfeld 35mm".

In fact.. Turner Broadcasting has been showing a 720p HD version of Seinfeld for months! I would safely assume the Blu-Ray box set will be here sooner than later -- unless they try to milk it for all its worth by putting out Blu-Ray boxed sets for each season first.

I am now officially holding out for Blu-Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 3:08:00 PM PST
good looking out stlouisbrad, I didnt think that Seinfeld was shot on film.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 4:09:52 PM PST
V. LEWIS says:
Excellent!
Thank you again stlouisbrad!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2009 8:06:39 AM PDT
FrankieBoy says:
If you spend it, Blu will come. Dvd is dying. Blu is the future, It is the money making deal for all productions now.

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 9:04:11 AM PDT
Ubertrout says:
Seinfeld was shot on film but edited in video. However, for the DVD release they rescanned the film in high-definition and re-did all the edits at high resolution. Not sure if they'll ever do a Blu-Ray release, but if they think there's money to be made they will.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2009 9:14:11 AM PDT
stlouisbrad says:
Today Amazon is dumping the standard def complete box (32 disc) for $99. This is a sure sign that the bluray version will be here for Christmas ... Oops.. I meant Festivus. Time to work on some feats of strength!

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 9:50:40 AM PDT
Bouncy X says:
the show already airs some of the episodes in HD, its amazing to see. because its widescreen for one but the picture is soooo nice. they've only done 4 or 5 episodes as a sorta "test". but considering some of the episodes are from 1993 i was very impressed. didnt think shows that old had any chance of being redone in HD.

hopefully if there ever is a blu-ray collection, price is reasonable. because i look at that Battlestar Galactica set, its over 200$ and only has 4 seasons. Imagine Seinfeld, a show with NINE seasons? it'll be like 1000$. lol

anyway i bought this for my brother for upcoming christmas. i'm in canada so i'm saving even more money than usual.

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 7:31:51 AM PDT
Larry Davis says:
It seems everything is coming out on Blu-Ray, even older TV shows...espesh those done by major companies...Fraggle Rock probably won't. I have a feeling Seinfeld will be getting a Blu-Ray release within a year or two...now that they did the anti-reunion reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm (I'd buy a Blu-Ray of the series of that too, when it's done), it seems Seinfeld is as popular as ever. I have the BestBuy fridge box...I'm curious whether to sell it or not cuz of the Blu-Ray possibility...it's a big maybe for me.

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 12:38:54 PM PDT
D. Thompson says:
I'm holding out for Blu-ray, it will look awesome.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 2:32:32 PM PST
This week Best Buy is selling this set with the extras for $99.waiting for high def makes no sense just watch this up-converted on a blu-ray player.HD can not magically fill in anything that was shot on video.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 2:35:29 PM PST
Bouncy X says:
its true that HD cannot fill in but.....they've been airing episodes in HD recently and i guess they just had the forsight back then to film in widescreen as well because you do get a full 16x9 image as well as HD quality.

apparently its all a test to see how well its received, they've only done this to a handful of episodes but who knows...they might eventually do the whole series.

but with sitcoms, especially older ones i would never hold out for blu-ray. i've stopped buying dvds for regular movies but i will always continue buying dvd for tv shows.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 1:08:06 AM PST
gswithen says:
"apparently its all a test to see how well its received, they've only done this to a handful of episodes but who knows...they might eventually do the whole series."

I've been watching Seinfeld in HD nearly every night and they've touched on most every season, even the early episodes. I haven't seen the Pilot yet but all of the 2nd season and most of the 3rd have shown up in HD. I've probably seen half of all the episodes in HD so far. Only a few times do you see excessive grain/contrast or some object to the left or right that shouldn't be there. It's funny, in The Hamptons, when George's girlfriend goes topless, you can clearly see she's wearing something to cover her breasts as she exits to the left of screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2009 6:45:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2009 6:46:46 AM PST
V. LEWIS says:
I am still holding out for a BlueRay Version - no matter how long it takes!
It had better be $85 or less..

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 6:45:53 AM PST
Bryan says:
More on Seinfeld in HD:

http://hd.engadget.com/2008/09/03/seinfeld-goes-hd-on-tbs-hd/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2009 7:23:07 AM PST
V. LEWIS says:
Thank's B.Wendell

Re:Seinfeld goes HD on TBS HD
(too many comercials though) I would rather have my own collection - come on BlueRay.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Seinfeld: The Complete Series
Seinfeld: The Complete Series by Jerry Seinfeld (DVD - 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (372)