Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2012 9:22:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 5:47:05 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 9:34:55 AM PDT
Seriously? There's more than JUST ONE "widescreen" aspect ratio, dude.

The most popular are 1.78:1, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1... 1.78:1 is 16:9 and, therefore, fills up the entirety of an HDTV and 1.85 is sometimes slightly cropped due to it being SO CLOSE to 16:9. 2.35:1, on the other hand, leaves pretty much the same amount of black on the top and bottom of an HDTV that 16:9 leaves on the top and bottom of a 4:3 SDTV.

Seeing as 'The Avengers' is 1.85:1 you don't really have to worry... all of the other lead-up movies to 'The Avengers', however, are 2.35:1. It's just something you're going to have to deal with: the original aspect ratio (or pretty darn close) is going to be the one put onto a Blu-ray and (at least for the near future) the only version you'll be able to buy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:29:45 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:12:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 12:14:51 PM PDT
Capoland says:
He does, but I don't think you do. Let me try to explain.

When a move is in "Fullscreen", that doesn't mean the movie will magically fill the whole screen regardless of what T.V. you're using. It means the movie is stored on the disc at a 4:3 aspect ratio, which is more like a square shape. For example, if you viewed a "Fullscreen" movie on a widescreen T.V. (which has an aspect ratio of 16:9, I.E. a rectangle like shape), assuming it was displayed properly, there would be black bars on the sides of the movie to keep it in it's 4:3 square shape. Now, different T.V.'s and different DVD players can take the "Fullscreen" video and stretch it to fit the Widescreen T.V., which is probably what yours does. It might fill the whole screen that way, but everything will look stretched out, and you wouldn't actually be getting any extra footage. You're actually seeing less footage on the sides than you would've been watching a Widescreen DVD/Blu-Ray. If you're okay with that, then that's all that matters, but just understand that it's not filling the whole screen because it's a "Fullscreen" DVD. It's filling the whole screen because either the player or the T.V. is stretching it.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:20:15 AM PDT
AIRBORNE6176 says:
^ What he said...

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:23:03 AM PDT
Jeffrey Roy says:
I am a bit of a snob. Personally, I like to see a movie as the director wants me to see it. In other words, I like to see all of it. If you do the math, when you "fill" a 4:3 television screen with a 2.35:1 image that "has been edited from its original version; it has been formatted to fit this screen" you are missing virtually HALF the movie. Techniques like "Pan and Scan" help you see who's talking, but I liken the experience to going to the movie theater and watching it through a paper towel tube.

Here's an idea. Scoot your chair closer to the screen and watch the whole movie. The director and cinematographer will appreciate it.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:53:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 26, 2012 11:54:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:11:46 AM PDT
Arg! says:
I can't believe there are still people in this world who don't understand that watching a widescreen movie in full is so completely ill-advised.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:52:21 AM PDT
I don't think the issue is that people don't mind seeing the movie as the director wants, the issue is that why can't they put it in such a way that there are no black bars to begin with.
I know about the aspect/how it is now, but I'm just trying to get the original point here back across

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:52:43 PM PDT
If your that worried about the black bars then get a projector that supports anamorphic lenses.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:47:14 AM PDT
Well there are two options for the Op... the first is they are now making 21:9 "Cinemawide" TVs, they start around $3k or so. The format basically removes the bars from the top and bottom of the picture and can be stretched slightly to remove any black bars that may appear on the right or left.

The other option is to check your current TV. Most models have a picture zoom feature where you can actually stretch the screen to make it appear in "full" screen without any black bars, but then again you lose part of the picture, which is what happens with fullscreen movies anyways, so maybe this is a better option for the op.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:58:09 AM PDT
Those Cinemawide TV's are no better because then everything not shot in THAT format will have black bars somewhere or have to be stretched.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 8:01:50 AM PDT
yeah, if they're not shot in anamorphic format, there will be black bars on the left and right of the screen, but not on the top and bottom. You can still stretch the screen to fix it.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:01:38 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:11:32 AM PDT
I don't know how that has anything to do with the conversation here, Karen, but thanks for joining us.

I would imagine that Amazon will adjust the price (they do about 9 times out of 10) and that anyone who got the coupon will end up getting this item for $24.99.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 3:58:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 16, 2012 4:17:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 5:10:44 AM PDT
mc-Hotsauce says:
you could always adjust the settings to output 720p and it will go to full screen. i do that on my ps3 all the time to not get bars with a 2.35:1 or 1.78:1. i only see minor differences in 720 v. 1080 on my 30in monitor. (2-3 feet away)

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 2:59:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 3:00:55 PM PDT
What!? Whether its in 720p or 1080p has nothing to do with whether or not there are black bars. The only way to get a film that has black bars to fit your whole screen is either to crop or stretch the picture. If changing your output to 720p is doing this it is because its cropping the picture.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:35:02 PM PDT
J. Hedgepeth says:
I'm getting a black bar one the left side of the screen in 2d mode of 3d bluray, and with 3d on, its half black half an image ???? weird.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 4:28:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 4:30:08 PM PDT
The Avengers 3D Blu-ray does not have an option to play in 2D so you must be making your tv do a 2D picture. You are only seeing the footage for one of the 2 pictures, that's why you have a black bar on one side sometimes. What you are seeing in 3D is that one eye has a picture in that spot and one does not, it's honestly a flawed conversion job. If you want to watch it in 2D watch the regular Blu-ray version that came in the box.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 4:36:04 PM PDT
J. Hedgepeth says:
No, the bars are showing up randomly on both sides. It was full, on both sides, then about a cm on the left, then it went away and came up on the right, and at times the thickness is diff too. Its doing it in BOTH 2d and 3d on the 3d bluray, but not on my 2d bluray. This hasn't happened before, so I dont think its my tv. Even supposing it was, wouldnt the problem most likely be consistent (if it were a tv or ps3 aspect ratio issue? I am starting to wonder if its the bluray being messed up or something.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 4:38:18 PM PDT
That's just how it is, it's only like that in some scenes but it's like that for the reason I said, a poor post filming 3D conversion. And again, the 3D Blu ray has no 2D viewing mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 4:54:34 PM PDT
J. Hedgepeth says:
Wait, are you saying everybody is seeing this? I mean, there would be more negative ratings. I mean, these aren't just bars, they are going in and out on either sides and changing sizes too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions