Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2009 1:36:34 PM PDT
D. Petersen says:
Now that Warner Bros. has announced that extended editions of the HP films are coming out soon I'm hoping that this set (as well as the one for Chamber of Secrets) are the extended cuts. Anyone know for sure yet?

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 7:18:50 AM PDT
Glen R says:
Ah the 'extended cut' rip off rears it ugly head again.

Posted on Sep 9, 2009 8:41:51 AM PDT
Sometimes an extended edition is worth -- consider LotR. If this cut resembles that shown on the Family Channel, it will have some nice adds. If you don't think so, it is not worth the money but it is unclear to me why it is a "rip-off." Vertainly, I'd only consider the first two out of the first five movies worth it.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 8:15:58 AM PDT
Yeah It was just confirmed this will have the theatrical and extended cuts.

Posted on Sep 20, 2009 1:36:48 AM PDT
They're out on December 8th. Same day as HBP and as stated above, do contain the extended cuts. Went from lukewarm to first day purchase for me.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 2:19:19 AM PDT
While I'm glad they are doing it...it's a rip off for a number of reasons. 1. the fact that it's taken them so long to release it...and 2. unlike the LoTR (which everyone...if they watched) knew that the directors cut's were going to be released a few months later were given the choice to buy the theater version or wait a few months for the director's cut. This one...most everyone has the original version and now either has to buy this one and have two copies or skip out on it. There wasn't a choice given to the consumer.

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 9:54:41 AM PDT
Asim says:
I hope that the fact that this isn't an extended cut in the same ways as the LOTR movies were is clear. What New Line put into the extended verisons was intended to be in the film as a director's cut, not just an inclusion of deleted scenes. What WB is doing is simply including the deleted scenes.

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 10:01:59 AM PDT
Asim says:
I hope that the fact that this isn't an extended cut in the same ways as the LOTR movies were is clear. What New Line put into the extended verisons was intended to be in the film as a director's cut, not just an inclusion of deleted scenes. What WB is doing is simply including the deleted scenes.

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 8:26:13 AM PDT
Jem says:
It has SEVEN whole minutes added. Definitely not in the league of LOTR which added 30 or 40 minutes of footage to each film which was worth the significant price increase. I agree that these releases are beginning to wear incredibly thin. I wouldn't be so annoyed if I wasn't so sure they will release a huge box set with all 8 films after Deathly Hallows. I'm going to hold off on these "ultimate" editions until that happens. Since those are the ones likely to be included.

Posted on Nov 23, 2009 3:55:37 PM PST
Timmy K. says:
There is no such thing as a "director's cut" of these Harry Potter films. The versions you saw in the theater and on the previous DVD/BD releases ARE the directors cuts. The deleted scenes from these first two Harry Potter films were cut for good reason. Just slapping them back into the film so they can sell yet another new DVD version to people who already own the movies on DVD is not at all comparable to what Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings. The LOTR extended versions are the actual films that Peter Jackson wanted to make, but he was restricted by limited run times for the theatrical releases. And since DVD doesn't have the same limitations on runtime he shot the footage he would need to make his preferred versions, and then created those for the extended DVD releases. There is no doubt PJ would have preferred that the "extended versions" were the only versions, and what everyone had seen when they went to the theater, but the economic realities of releasing movies in theaters prevented that from happening. That isn't the case with these Harry Potter movies. The deleted scenes are fun to see as extras, but they don't actually belong in the films. It's not an improvement, or a more complete film as the LOTR extended versions were. It's a scam to get you to spend more money on another copy of something you already have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions