5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality
I purchased this on a whim, just hoping it would last the semester. It's lasted more than that, and I'm hard on it. Very roomy and durable. Hold my Macbook 13in, along with two 3 subject notebooks, and two standard textbooks. Very pleased with my purchase.
Published 5 months ago by Carly Adams

1.0 out of 5 stars Loose thread and thin material
I'm not sure why other reviewers are saying this backpack is good quality, because it really is just typical low-quality material with numerous loose threads. The leather part also feels like it would tear and wear out very easily. I was expecting better because of the reviews, but if you're looking for a sturdy backpack, look elsewhere.
Published 3 months ago by Y.L.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality, April 19, 2014
Carly Adams (Belleville, MI, US) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for traveling the world or to school, July 7, 2014
I bought this for my trip abroad. I wanted a small backpack that would be light to carry around on long days. This backpack was everything I was hoping for.

Pros:
-Fashionable. Everyone was telling me how cute it was.
-Sturdy. Hasn't ripped, hasn't torn, no frayed edges, everything is still together after three months of travelling with it being very very full.
-Expandable/Collapsible. While the backpack itself doesn't "expand or collapse" it does in theory. When the pack is empty or sort of empty, it looks very small and is very very light. However, it can fit a lot of stuff in it and it's still not that heavy (thanks to the padded straps). Today I took my 13 inch laptop, my charger, my phone, my sweatshirt, my gym clothes, my breakfast, and an 16oz glass water-bottle and it still wasn't that heavy. Perfect for any occasion.
-Secret pocket. Need a say more? It's perfect for something you need to get at quickly.
-Cinch tie. I had zippers. They break and they are inflexible when you have a lot of stuff. The cinch tie is an essential for me. I love it.
-Laptop sleeve. My 13 inch laptop will fit in the sleeve without it's case. But I put an extra sleeve over my laptop to protect it and that doesn't fit in.
-Semi-waterproof. I've been caught in the rain a few times with this bag. After 10 minutes of walking in medium rain, while the outer "blue canvas" is wet, the inside is not. Very impressed.

Pros:
-My 13 inch laptop is very thin and will fit in the laptop sleeve by itself. But if you have an extra sleeve (like I do) it probably won't with the extra sleeve on. I use the sleeve for notebooks that I don't want to get crushed since my laptop sleeve has more padding for my laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality backpack for a good price, December 1, 2013
I love this backpack. I get a lot of compliments on it. It looks almost the same as a Herschel backpack but for much cheaper. I can fit a lot of stuff inside of it along with my laptop. It arrived much faster than I was expecting which was great. It's good quality the only thing that I saw on mine was a loose string but you can't even notice it. Overall, I'm really happy with this bag and it's worth the buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Well-Made, Good Size, April 12, 2014
I bought this because I needed a cute backpack to carry my laptop and books in while biking to my university. It's super cute, made with sturdy materials and fits a lot of stuff.
The only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars is because the "drawstring" part of the bag under the top flap is somewhat impractical. If you don't tie the strings correctly, they poke out from under the flap and look super weird. It's also just a bit annoying to have to redo and undo them when you're trying to access the stuff inside your bag. Although I suppose you could just leave the whole thing open all the time, but that doesn't seem safe to me.
One thing that was surprisingly nice to have was the side zipper that allows you to access the main compartment of the bag without having to go through the top flap and drawstring. The zipper isn't super long so you can't access your laptop or tall folders, but it's good for grabbing your water bottle, planner, or other small item. I didn't think I would use it when I first bought it but it turned out to be extremely useful.
Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase! Plus, it came in only 2 days because I have prime! It was awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds my expectations, April 23, 2014
I am not very trendy, although I have aspirations that one day I will be able to pull it together. This bag makes people think I am already there. I am amazed that I got an attractive canvas bag of good quality for under $40. It fits my 15 inch Macbook Pro with ease. There are sufficient pockets to organize a wallet, check book, pens, and a menagerie of girly things. I got the blue one, but was a little hesitant at first because I thought it would be too bright and show dirt easily. In reality, it actually appears to be slightly more muted in tone, which I like even more. (Basically the picture it shows looks to be taken in very bright light.) At first I didn't love the fit, but was able to get it adjusted right within a day or two. It has been a few weeks and it has held up with the grace of a bag three times the cost.

I am a relatively *young* scientist that works in academia, so I am constantly being confused with students. I was worried that this bag would look a little less professional and further facilitate this identity issue, but it actually does come across as "hip-young-professional-that-is-too-active-for-a-shoulder bag". Also, I am at a rich-kid school in SoCal and many students seem to confuse this bag with a certain name brand I have never heard of and am quite certain I couldn't afford. :)

I highly recommend this bag and will probably buy another one in black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it today and it is as good as expected if not more., July 9, 2014
Got my bag today. Color is slightly darker than the picture but I don't mind (I got the light blue looking one). The bag is very spacious. I have a planner, 2 notebooks, a textbook, my tablet and a digital camera in there and I can still fit more if I wanted to. I am not in need of too many pockets so this was just right for me. it has an inner pocket (where I put my charger for my tablet), two pen/pencil holder pouches, 2 other pouches of different size that I put my headphones and cellphone in and the external pocket which you can see.

The side entry of the bag is convenient for me so I can grab my cellphone out without opening up the entire bag (this side entry is pictured in one of the pictures with an iPad coming out). The only problem I encountered is if you want to open this side entry with the bag still on your shoulder since the string isn't very long. I fixed this with some ribbon that I had so I can pull open the bag or close it shut while still having it on my shoulder.

The adjusting straps do have a metal adjuster which has scratched me already but it isn't too sharp or anything. It just gave me a little scratch. Didn't even break the skin.

The material is nice canvas bag material as far as I know. It isn't weak by any standards. I pulled at it as soon as I took the bag out of the packaging. It stretched slightly to the pressure but it bounced back to original shape.

The pictures make it seem slightly bigger than it actually is but it is spacious as I mentioned. I like the bag so far. I will probably re-review it in about 2-3 months just to let everyone know how the bag is holding up. But so far, I am impressed. Got my monies worth =D

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute - and surprisingly durable, August 16, 2014
I've been using this backpack nearly every day since I got it in the mail a month ago. Overall I am very happy. Some specifics:

Pro:
- The size is perfect. When there's not much inside, it's quite compact. Right now, for example, I've got a large wallet, a folder, a pencil case, and a medium-size pouch with odds and ends (nail files, tampons, etc), and the back-to-front dimension is maybe 4 inches - not counting the stuff I have in the front pocket. But the bag also has a quite surprising amount of room for expansion. I regularly take it to work with a 2" notebook, large water bottle, tablet, and large wallet, then stop on the way home for groceries and fit 1-2 plastic bags' worth of items inside.
- This is where the top drawstring becomes useful. You can cinch it tight when there's not much inside, which helps reduce the size, but then you also have tons of flexibility for when you need to carry a lot of stuff - including items that are longer than the bag itself, since those can just protrude from the top opening.
- one of the other reviewers noted that the drawstrings on top are a bit ugly - agreed (they look basically like black round shoelaces) but if you tie them in a bow and make the loops long enough, they're 100% covered by the top flap. Not a problem for me.
- The buckles are not actual buckles (they're snaps - which is a good thing IMO, way easier) but they ARE actually adjustable: there are 3 punched holes to choose from (and it would be easy to make additional ones if necessary). Again this comes in super handy when you are trying to carry tons of stuff. They're easy to adjust, too - I can do it in a couple of seconds.
- I am really impressed that this thing has not fallen apart given how much heavy stuff I have carried in it - books for school, my laptop, groceries (including 6-packs of beer - yes one will fit nicely in the main compartment). I was and continue to be wary given how inexpensive this was, but after a month of heavy use there is ZERO evidence on the seams, zippers, or straps of all that wear.
- I'm also impressed at how well the fake leather material has held up, especially at the bottom. I regularly toss this bag around, including on pavement, my lawn, etc. I am in general not super careful about my stuff, and because I bought this on a whim and it was so inexpensive I've been even less concerned about keeping it in good condition. Looking at it now I'm actually amazed that there are no rips or stains or anything on the bottom.
- Love the side zipper. It's crucial particularly because of the design of the bag (once you've got the top tied up and the loops tucked away, it's annoying to have to undo it). It's big enough that I can access pretty much everything in the main compartment other than whatever's in the laptop sleeve.
- There's a great secret pocket inside the laptop pocket, and that one is actually pretty roomy -- maybe 8 inches wide, 6 inches deep?
- There's just enough padding in the main compartment (for the laptop pocket) and in the straps that this is comfortable but not at all bulky.

Con:
- I really hate the "Hot Style" label on the bag. The label itself looks ok, I just think that's a really tacky brand name. If I can think of a way to cover it up I will - maybe with a colored stick-on patch or something.
- NOT WATERPROOF. I had to walk maybe 20 minutes in the rain the other day, and even though I had an umbrella, the front pocket was totally soaked through and everything inside got wet. On the plus side, everything in the main compartment was totally fine. So I just make sure to move my phone to the main compartment if I'll be walking in the rain.
- The drawstring for the side zipper fell off about 3 weeks after I started using the bag. NBD because I just tied it back on and knotted the ends. I'll probably replace it with a ribbon or something anyway (since as mentioned the drawstrings are admittedly pretty ugly)
- Wish the pockets in the main compartment across from the laptop sleeve were deeper/bigger. There are a couple of pen holders, plus a slightly larger compartment that might be made for a phone but is too small for mine (a Moto X), and the largest compartment which is maybe 5x5 inches. The largest one would be more useful to me if it were big enough to hold my wallet or tablet.

I'm surprised and pleased about how this bag turned out. Very glad I found it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little too bulky, but practical for college students., August 11, 2014
Jessica (Spring, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this backpack in the black and brown color combination because my last backpack broke under the stress of all my textbooks.
Pros:
- The black and brown combination matches ANY outfit
- Feels strong
- Very roomy
- Zippers don't feel too stiff or too wimpy
- It fits my absolutely enormous HP Envy laptop. This thing is really huge so it doesn't fit in the lap top pocket, but it does fit in the main compartment of the back pack which is amazing. This is the first thing I've ever bought that fits my laptop.
- It looks like it will hold up. Only time will tell though when school starts. My hopes are high though!
Cons:
- The pictures make it seem tall and slender, but it is far more wide... unless you totally fill it up like it is in the pictures, it will sit very wide on your back
- The straps are thick and burly. This backpack is far less effeminate looking than I had anticipated.
- The patch on the front is rather tacky, unfortunately.

Overall, I'm happy enough with the backpack to keep it. It's less cute and girly than I thought though, which is the major flaw.

Also, about the draw strings, some people commented that they didn't like how the strings look when they stick out of the sides. However, all I did was tucked the drawstrings in the back after pulling it shut so that they don't stick out awkwardly, and it looks good.

Hope this helps (:

1.0 out of 5 stars Loose thread and thin material, June 11, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty solid, May 1, 2014
It's pretty thick canvas, my only complaint is the buckles on the straps where you adjust the length of the straps, they are metal, but the part facing inward is somewhat sharp so if im not wearing a t-shirt or something with a long sleeve it jabs my armpits and it's annoying. other than that it's pretty good quality

Rate and Discover Movies