house of night series question ...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2009 4:42:12 PM PDT
alliesmommy says:
is it as good as other vampire series?

half the reviews are bad ....

i love the vampire academy series and twilight (well i love twilight and think the others are ok) and i think blue bloods is good also, just incase that helps =)

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 5:05:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 14, 2009 8:37:01 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 5:13:23 PM PDT
wow.

eesh.

ew.

won't be reading that then--sounds like a huge waste of time. i think i'll try VA, though, it sounds like a good vampire story harkening back to actual transylvanian vampire mythology. is that right?

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 5:15:17 PM PDT
p.s. i though HON was written by a mother-daughter pair...they wrote about d-ick sucking together? ew.

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 7:16:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2009 7:19:35 PM PDT
panda says:
Well, I've heard from both extremes on this book. One side saying is amazing, other side saying avoid at all costs. I guess the only way to decide is to try it myself.

I read somewhere that they're promoting House of Night as Harry Potter + Twilight = House of Night. Basically saying that they want to cash in on the two demographics because HON is like HP in the sense that when you're marked you go to school to graduate to an adult vampire (?), because you know....HP had to go to school too. Again: (?). And also they are hoping that because it's vampires, the Twilight fans will love it. After reading what *Caligirl_08* said about HON, I say....what an insult to Harry Potter. HP is nothing like that o.0

I hate how they constantly act as if Twilight is the only ever vampire story out there.

OH. And I found this article about House of Night becoming a movie.....possibly? This article talks of Harry Potter....but it's not the one that says HP+Twitlight=HON. I can't remember where I read that.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117996009.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 7:21:56 PM PDT
panda says:
Midnight.....the VA in your post refers to Vampire Academy right? If so, then YES! read Vampire Academy. I was hesitant to read Vampire Academy because of the cover, but eventually did and LOVED it! It gets better as each book goes along.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 7:26:45 PM PDT
agreed! VA is much better!!! i've only read book 1. i'm waiting for the next book to come out and then i'm gonna read all 4 in a row!

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 10:50:16 PM PDT
Yes, I meant Vampire Academy :) I've read some good reviews about it on this forum, and it seems interesting. I really want to read a modern vampire story that's GOOD. So many seem to suck (ha). I've asked my library to get the first one so I can try it out :)

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 10:55:28 PM PDT
albie says:
Definitely try out VA. Some people read the first one and found it dull. I accidentally read the Frostbite not realising it was the second one. I was hooked. I had to then go back and read the first one. I didnt really think it mattered. VA just sort of seemed then like a prequel - and I never read books out of order.
I would very much agree with Caligirl's post on HON. She pretty much sums it up. But there are fans of HON out there.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 8:16:22 PM PDT
Hoffmom says:
I started reading the first book in the House of Night series with high hopes that I had found another book, like Twilight, that I could recommend to the middle school kids I work with. Those hopes were dashed in the first few pages with a scene alluding to oral sex. What made this so much more tragic was that Costco had this series marked "Juvenile." Ick! How many adults might have given that first book to children based on the label. You certainly won't find them in my classroom! The last time I saw them at Costco they were marked as "Young Adult."

A MUCH BETTER series is the Morganville Vampires (set of six, the first book is Glass Houses) by Rachel Caine, or the Mercy Thompson series (set of four, the first book is Moon Called) by Patricia Briggs. Another MUCH BETTER series of books is Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, or Night World by LJ Smith. Some other MUCH BETTER stories, not about vampires (but a good story is a good story, right?) are Wicked Lovely (set of 3) by Melissa Marr, the Mortal Instruments series (set of three, first book is City of Bones) by Cassandra Clare, and Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The first book in all these series are currently being read by my 7th graders, who are loving them! And I only recommended these books because I loved reading them.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 8:18:57 PM PDT
wow amazon deleted my review. why am i not surprised??

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 10:20:44 PM PDT
panda says:
That's stupid. There was nothing wrong with your post. Sheesh Amazon.

Posted on Jun 15, 2009 4:57:36 PM PDT
alliesmommy says:
thanks i think i will skip it after all the bad things ... but yes whoever hasnt read va should i didnt really want to read it cause it seemed like it might be boring but wow its so good i got hooked and read them all in 2 days =)

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 8:50:05 AM PDT
has anyone read the other series by these two authors, the Goddess Summoning?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/series/94111/ref=pd_serl_books?ie=UTF8&edition=paperback
I ordered the first book, and I'm curious... and I definetely trust your DSers recommendations!

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 9:26:21 AM PDT
Katya Lawson says:
Eh, I found the Mortal Instruments series to be a character knock-off of HP. It read like fanfiction. The same goes for the Wicked Lovely series. I also tried reading House of Night, but I found it to be as bad as Twilight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2009 11:12:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2009 11:13:57 AM PDT
Obsidian says:
Mortal Instruments bored me too Katya! I thought it read like fanfic also. Plus, how much purple prose and descriptors were in those books? EVERYTHING had to be described in excruciating detail. I would get bored reading whole paragraphs.

City of OMG This Is Boring

Vampire Academy is so good! I would definately recommend that series!

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 11:40:13 PM PDT
It probably reads like fanfic because Cassandra Claire was a huge fanfic writer. She was really famous because of her Draco Trilogy (which is no longer available to read because of copious amounts of plagiarism) and also the Very Secret Diaries of Middle Earth, which are amusing. She already had a huge fanbase waiting for her when she wrote Mortal Instruments because of all the fanfic she wrote.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 11:18:47 AM PDT
Obsidian says:
Well, that explains so much Midnight Writer! It read just like fanfic. Boring fanfic. I bought all three books on a whim...big mistake. I still haven't gotten through the second book yet. It's like trudging through mud sometimes.

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 2:37:33 PM PDT
Hoffmom says:
I'd never heard of Cassandra Claire before I read the Mortal Instruments series, and I enjoyed it very much--enough that I read all three books in three days. I am currently reading Evernight by Claudia Gray and it definitely is not a keeper for me. It has an interesting twist that does not start until page 139, but overall it is pretty goofy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Breaking Dawn Special Edition (The Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn Special Edition (The Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Hardcover - August 4, 2009)
3.8 out of 5 stars (6,861)