how to charge Garmin nuvi 50 LM is the only way to charge the Garmin 50 LM is in the car with its charger? Will it charge to the computer? I just got mine and its battery is gone now and have to figure out how to charge it!
asked by Busia of 2 on July 1, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
You can buy a Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter (US Plug) for under $5 that will let you trickle charge the battery on your Garmin using the cord that normally plugs into your cars cigarette lighter, the unit plugs into a normal 110vac outlet. It will slowly charge your GPS battery but you cannot use it to run the GPS in the house as it does not put out that amount of power.
Floyd Goodrich answered on July 4, 2012
Comments (2) | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The USB plug to the computer will charge the GPS. The computer and GPS need to be on.
j. answered on July 5, 2012
Comment | 21 of 23 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can purchase an inexpensive adapter or use an existing one if you have one around. Garmin sells Adapters as well, although a little pricey. Many Cameras or MP3' players come with USB adapters that will work. (AC to 5 Volts) Either an AC to USB 5 volt adapter where you plug in the Garmin cable or AC to 5 volt mini USB adapter plug. Or search Amazon for "Garmin Nuvi AC Charger" for lower priced alternatives. It does come in handy to load up a map before you get in the car. Or just to play around with the Garmin! If it's working correctly You'll see a lightining bolt thru the Battery Icon meaning it's charging.
dehnehsu answered on September 23, 2012
Comment | 9 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can charge it from the computer, or for that matter if you have a wall charger with a USB connector, it'll work even better.
Oliver Dunn answered on March 5, 2013
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Go to Walmart ebay, Amazon etc and buy a plug in adapter that lets you use your carcharger by plugging the adapter into a 120VAC receptacle.
Robert Gebo answered on November 14, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Get home charger....It also charges with your car cord....USB as well.......
H. Boo answered on February 5, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am trying to confirm the output on my iPhone charger. I think it is 5v. From what I have been reading, all AC adapters that have a usb output are limited by standard to 5.5v, which should work, but I want confirmation.
MrMarc answered on September 23, 2012
Comments (2) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I see some posts that all that is needed is any USB 5 volt power plug. This not entirely true. Turns out that Garmin has a special pinout that puts the Nuvi into proper fast charge mode so using any USB power port may not provide a fast charge. You might get a way with a cheap USB power port solution sometimes but the reality is if you want a fast charge and the assurance that it will properly be charged either buy an OEM charger or I have personally tested Gomadic chargers are made to the same OEM spec. Not that even though chargers look like they are the same the fact is that internally they are wired differently. Some use jumper, resistors, etc. Here is an example of a property made charger (notice they offer a lifetime warranty) Mini 10W Car / Auto DC Charger designed for the Garmin Nuvi 50 50LM with Gomadic Brand Power Sleep technology - Designed to last with TipExchange Technology
An Engineer answered on November 1, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can I charge the nevi 50 lm with the AC adapter for my iPhone?
MrMarc answered on August 22, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can I use an iPhone AC adapter? Already have a few of those and they are easily transported.
MrMarc answered on September 23, 2012
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product