Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2010 5:54:24 PM PDT
MstrssGrim says:
How do i "eject" the kindle from my computer so i can use it while plugged into the computer

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 8:59:35 AM PDT
Use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function. Kindle will be listed as a mass storage device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 5:16:44 PM PST
bert galford says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 6:03:32 PM PST
bert galford says:
READ THREE POSTS DOWN

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 5:53:07 PM PST
michelle says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 10:30:40 AM PST
On a windows computer, look at your computer settings (where your hard disk drives and thumb drives show up). If your Kindle is plugged in for charging it will show up here. Right click on it and when the list show up, select "Safely Remove Hardware." It should be gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 7:00:05 AM PST
The Owner's Instructions are inadequate for ejecting Kindle from your computer. You have to be a Geek to know how to do this, which I'm not, neither are most people. After you connect the USB cable to your computer, you have to go to Start, Devices and Printers with Windows 7. You should see a picture of a Mass Storage Sevice. It is not identified as Kindle. This is an omission in the Kindle program, in my opinion. Anyway, you right click the picture, and left click Eject. You should see the Kindle screen change from Battery Charge with the lightening bolt symbol to some usable screen. Don't go any further, and click anything else no matter what it says. You should, now, be able to go to the main Screen, and select whatever you were reading. Kindle seems to be smart enough to remember where you left off. Hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:12:06 PM PST
S. Swafford says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 9:27:20 AM PDT
Liz says:
Thank you so much, helped loads

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:38:39 PM PDT
Tim Walker says:
SO I go to my Devices and printers as described above, mine shows up as Amazon Kindle, hit eject, and Win 7 indicates device safely removed. However nothing chages on screen, If I plug it back in, I get all same info as before. The instructions on screen say Please keep your cable attached but it doesn't recognize it has been ejected.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 3:16:45 PM PDT
Same thing happens to me, it has safely been ejected, but screen does not change. Win 7 64 bit.

Posted on May 19, 2012 3:21:03 PM PDT
Found the solution for Windows 7:
If you have a Kindle and Windows 7 PC, you will bump into this: No matter what you do and try to eject your Kindle from PC using "Safely remove hardware", you Kindle will still remain connected to your PC, which means you can't use it while charging through the USB.

The simple solution to this is that you should use "Eject" option from Windows explorer by right click on the drive.

Posted on May 26, 2012 4:29:04 AM PDT
JanetJ16 says:
I have Vista Home - I went to Start, Computer, Right clicked on Kindle (It was my D drive) and found "Eject" and clicked on it

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 7:00:06 AM PDT
thank u . windows 7 is cofusing

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 2:23:30 AM PDT
I've tried this. I've tried everything that has been mentioned in all the answers. It still doesn't work. What can I try next?

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:49:47 AM PDT
how do i eject kindle from computer if I have windows 7 with fire fox? thanks. confusing

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:47:04 PM PDT
Thank you a million times! All of the instructions I read just kept saying eject you kindle from the computer but never said HOW to do this. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 3:29:18 AM PDT
Brilliant. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 11:52:39 AM PDT
Whew! Thanks a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:40:24 PM PST
Nana Gibb says:
thankyou that worked

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:41:35 PM PST
Nana Gibb says:
thankyou that worked

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 12:09:20 PM PST
Barb says:
Thank you! I could not figure this out to save my life. A clue on the screen certainly would have been nice.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:53:50 PM PST
Hello! My Kindle Fire is connected to my laptop, which is running Windows 7. To eject, I went to Start > Computer, and found Kindle in the list of drives. However, when I right-click it, "Eject" is not an option. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 11:23:27 PM PDT
S. kirk says:
Thanks David, easy fix!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 8:49:57 PM PDT
how ddo I eject my kindle
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Search Customer Discussions