how to rate book without review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2011 10:53:01 AM PST
Hi. Looking for some help here. I used to rate each book that I read. You could just click on the number of stars. That would help to determine my recommended books. Now recently I have not been able to do this anymore. I don't really write reviews as everything has already been said and I hate when people write a synopsis of the book. I just want to look up the book and give it the number of stars that I felt it deserved. Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 2:36:13 PM PDT
C. Burke says:
I was wondering the same thing. There is an annoying work around of add it to a wishlist, and then when you delete it from said wishlist, amazon will ask you why you deleted it and let you rate it.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 7:14:07 PM PDT
Brennok says:
Unfortunately this seems like it no longer works either. I tried to do this tonight without any luck.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 7:14:57 PM PDT
Under Your Account> Personalization, select Improve Your Recommendations. That may cover most of what you're looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 7:19:56 PM PDT
Brennok says:
That only works if you bought the item through Amazon. If someone bought it for you without using your wishlist or you were just given it as a gift/bought it elsewhere it won't be on that list.

At this point I can't find any way to even mark items I own anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 4:59:13 AM PDT
There's a strip at the top with a link at the left called Your Amazon.com. Keep moving right, and you'll see another link called Rate These Items. See what happens when you select that link.

Posted on May 30, 2011 2:11:03 PM PDT
Emma Peale says:
Whew, found it! Sign in. Go to my recommendations. Look in the middle under the box for "rate these items". You can choose books, then rate them. It used to be on the page with the book. Now it's harder to do.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:39:31 PM PDT
"Emma Peale says:
Whew, found it! Sign in. Go to my recommendations. Look in the middle under the box for "rate these items". You can choose books, then rate them. It used to be on the page with the book. Now it's harder to do."

This is the absolutely right. I would say shame on Amazon for switching it but I suppose it deters bully internet campaigns from tilting ratings; Internet bullies are a lazy sort indeed.

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 7:39:40 AM PDT
L. Rosato says:
From the Amazon website:
"How do I rate an item that I haven't purchased, that I purchased elsewhere, or that isn't recommended to me?
You cannot rate an item that you haven't purchased on Amazon. However, you are welcome to like any item in our store by using our "Like" button on the product detail pages."

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 1:54:49 PM PDT
MPal says:
Wow, that is pretty lame that they changed the rules. Goodreads now has recommendations so I guess that's where I will be now!

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 4:52:56 PM PDT
ChaseBase says:
This is a really stupid move Amazon. I've always shopped first at amazon, but I'm going to reconsider that now. I don't like being treated like a child and restricted from using options that would obviously benefit me because a stupid executive wanted to encourage more review-writing. No doubt, this will reduce the quality of the reviews that do get written.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 5:45:38 AM PDT
I am able to still rate by first adding to an item to a wish list, next removing the item from the wish list, and then then options to rate it and mark as owned both pop up.

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 9:54:14 AM PDT
I can believe all that time I wasted rating all the books in my library. Shame on you Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 4:37:37 PM PST
Verovee says:
Is this why so many of my ratings suddenly seem to have disappeared? How frustrating. I agree this this is a ridiculous move.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 6:01:06 PM PST
I'm so irritated by not being able to rate a book that I may start buying my books elsewhere!

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:03:04 AM PST
not buying anymore from amazon.com

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 6:51:23 PM PST
Thank you. Why do they make it so hard? The ratings are very useful and usually by the time I'm looking at something the reviews have said everything that needs to be said.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 9:44:06 PM PST
Crepuscular says:
This is why I rarely ever come to Amazon anymore. I used to rate books without reviewing all the time. There used to be a check box on the book page where you could indicate you owned the book. I've moved my entire operations to Goodreads. No point in staying with a retailer who makes everything so damn difficult.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:08:41 PM PST
I would like to see a selection for rating a Kindle book on the Manage Your Kindle Web page, in the drop-down list of actions for each book.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:59:33 PM PDT
Not only are they missing ratings, but their recommendation flow is painful also. Really surprising for a company that blazed the trail for recommendation engines. I'll add they could let us keep the ratings private for only our own recommendations.

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:01:23 AM PDT
/agree

One of the things i loved about Amazon was that it recommended me things based on my ratings. Now I can "like" something? Is that the same thing?

What happened to "I already own it and I give it 5 stars"?

Dumb Amazon. Really dumb.

I do not want to write reviews but instead I will. I'll fill them all with complaints about the system as well so hopefully you'll get the point and let me use Amazon like I want to and not as some social media experiment some ding-dong wants it to be. Amazon is a store not a social network.

God I'll be glad when the next big thing comes around so every business can slaver over it instead of social networking.

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:04:43 PM PDT
Wow, how lame. Surprising.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 3:12:10 PM PDT
E. Parker says:
"What happened to "I already own it and I give it 5 stars"?

Dumb Amazon. Really dumb."

Exactly! I don't always have time to write a long review but I liked rating things because it would adjust my recommendations and lists it prompted me to view. Also it was a sort of way to remind myself to take an item off my wish list here that i had purchased elsewhere.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 3:35:59 PM PDT
Kat says:
Jeez. I used to purchase what Amazon recommended to me from my ratings, thereby increasing their sales. Now they have to make things ridiculously difficult. Thanks for the suggestions with the Wish List. Before that, I would click on a different book from the same series. Then at the bottom, under "Continue Shopping: Customers Who Bought Items in Your Recent History Also Bought" would be a list of similar books that you can rate. However, this system was hit-or-miss. You could click on two books of a trilogy, and the third wouldn't pop up! How incomprehensible! Why go through all those hoops just to rate a freaking book? Their recommendations have also taken a decline. I've spent years building my recommendations by rating my library. How sad. I rarely shop at Amazon anymore.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:48:37 AM PST
Andy Moorer says:
I echo what I am reading here.

-I used to easily be able to rate items, and did so for everything. Now I never do, even when I want to... I can't even find a simple way to assign 1-5 stars.
-And likewise, I used to get good recommendations, now they are a nuisance.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2011
Latest post:  28 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Long Lost
Long Lost by Harlan Coben (Paperback - 2009)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (263)