Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
how usable is this lens without IS? I would like to do more handheld shots. i would like to take action pics, bugs, sports etc.
asked by M. Nguyen on June 15, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
I used it to take pictures at my fiance's son's wedding and they came out fantastic. Some of the longer shots were blurry but I think it was more a matter of my getting to know the camera (which I had bought only a month previous). It was an outdoor wedding and I was in the second row and got amazing shots of the bride and groom during the ceremony with no tripod and by simply stabilizing the lens with my left hand.
DG answered on September 21, 2006
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
f4 does require decent light for handholding. However, to capture fast-moving action, you need a fast aperture more than you need IS. IS steadies the camera shake, but the "action" won't be adequately frozen unless there is good available light for a fast shutter speed at f4.

The Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS is a lot more expensive, though. I would suggest you look at the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM as an alternative to the Canon.
Make an effort answered on October 17, 2006
Comment | 12 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
John B. Kalla answered on August 25, 2011
Comment (1) | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
POTN is the best Canon-centric (sortof!) site on the internet! Great post, Norman!

Oh, and I took a ton of shots with the 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) lens and my 40D at a friend's kid's football game. You can see one of them here: http://kalla.net/POTN/_MG_0938-Edit.jpg
It was my first attempt at a sporting event, so my composition left something to be desired, but you can't fault the quality of the lens!
John B. Kalla answered on January 31, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
B. Speer answered on December 5, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I never need IS, I can't even tell the difference usually, because my 1d2 + 70-200 + speedlite is so heavy, hand holding at even 1/30 makes sharp pictures at 200mm
Shell Code answered on August 18, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
From what I've gathered the IS is needed only if there is low light for the distance shooting. I believe a fill flash would help, but I havent read anyone post anything as far as using fill flash at 200mm without the IS.
Cindy Cin answered on March 17, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Have a look at some sample shots of this magnificent lens... http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142739
Norman24 answered on July 3, 2008

A
Baltazar Mejia answered on October 14, 2014

A
Planning to but canon 70-200 L but confused now after reading the forums and comments. Which one I should buy ?
canon 70-200 F4 L IS USM or f2.8 L USL (Non IS)
Pls Suggest
aad answered on August 24, 2011
Comments (3) | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product