5.0 out of 5 stars I Robot on Blu Ray
Published 18 months ago by Steve Douglas

3.0 out of 5 stars 3D review
This is a pretty good movie, and I was excited to see it in 3D as I have been amazed by some other 3D blurays (Thor, Captain America, Avatar).

Published 21 months ago by cldsk

3.0 out of 5 stars 3D review, November 3, 2012
cldsk (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

Despite the fact that this wasn't "made for 3D", I was hopeful that the 3D reworking would yield some pretty cool results. Unfortunately, I didn't really see much 3D that enhanced the film or made it really worth it to buy a new bluray since I had the dvd (and it isn't a "gotta have" film for me - I was interested in it for the 3D feature.

If you don't have the film yet, it is a good addition to your collection. If you love this movie and have the dvd, then sure buy it, but if you just like the film and have the dvd, and are looking to expand your 3D film collection for some cool 3D films, you might wanna spend your money on other 3D discs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Robot on Blu Ray, January 23, 2013
This review is from: I, Robot [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I won't get into a summary of the plot, my opinions on the acting or a comparison to the original movie. All science fiction eventually becomes reality, one just has to read the old Jules Verne novels and most all he predicted has come to pass. Perhaps, with iRobot, Asimov's vision of the future may also come to be reality. Suffice it to say that this film is well done, tense and draws you into a truly popcorn movie. I only review the quality of the Blu Ray disc itself. I do have the Standard Def version as well.

The Standard Def DVD was actually pretty well made; its video and audio were both very good so I do not believe that you will see a night and day difference between the SD DVD and this BluRay.
That said, the BluRay transfer is excellent with no grain or artifacting at all. Granted, you wouldn't expect to see grain in any CGI clip, but there are plenty of scenes that are not wholly CGI and the film retains true skin tones, a very nice contrast and warm color grading. No problems that I can see with the video transfer to Blu Ray which is why I gave it a 5.

The audio transfer is also excellent in lossless DTS HD MA 5.1 and the audio could easily be used for DEMO disc purposes at it utilizes the entire surround system with a great deal of discreet channeling to the rear stage and from front and rear with realistic panning when appropriate. However, as I said for the Standard Def version, its audio was also extremely well edited so the big difference is that this audio, being lossless with a larger bit rate, makes for a more enveloping sound track.

There are extras, a commentary, an alternate ending and CGI renditions of endings as well. If you do not already have a copy of iRobot, despite its age, the film retains sturdy legs and is well worth having in your collection, especially at such an inexpensive cost.

All my movie reviews are of this nature and focus only on the quality of the transfer to BluRay so check them and see if they are of help as well.
Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you in determining your purchase, hope I am on the correct path with a review of the transfer quality as opposed to providing plot summaries.
Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars "Perhaps this is my purpose", May 14, 2005
My first reaction as this film began was "Wait! This isn't Asimov." The Asimov I grew up reading was a weaver of ideas, more mind candy than adventure story. But here I found myself in Will Smith's bedroom, and then suddenly catapulted into a wild chase after a purse grabbing robot. A far cry from the delicacy used by Asimov. It took a while for the shock to wear off but eventually the conflict between Smith's gritty performance as Del Spooner and his original inspiration in the reminiscences of Dr. Susan Calvin (played by Bridget Moynahan) wears off and the view settles into a film that is inspired by Asimov, but does not imitate him.

The sooner that happens, the better, because this is an exceptional film in its own right, even if it does proceed with the speed of a video game. Smith creates a wisecracking character with a deep mistrust of robots. He is called in to to investigate what appears to be an impossible killing - robots can't kill humans, it's the first law of robotics. But Dr. Alfred Lanning (James Cromwell) lies dead and the only suspect is 'Sonny' a Series 5 robot with some surprising circuitry (played by Alan Tudyk).

The death is declared a suicide, but Spooner refuses to give in. suddenly the automated world turns on the detective, whose unlikely ally is Dr. Calvin, a robopsychologist responsible for the psyches of masses of robots about to be distributed around the planet. One hair-raising escape after another propels the story along until viewers find themselves at a surprisingly reflective conclusion. Not exactly classical Asimov, but a great story nonetheless.

Will does a good job as Spooner, but he is upstaged by Moynihan's performance. And both are blown away by Tudyk and the animators performance as Sonny. As you watch Sonny develop from being slightly more simpatico than the scenery into a full-blown personality there are countless moments of surprise. Moynihan and Smith do their best, but from the moment Sonny turns to Spooner and says "Thank you... you said someone not something." The film belongs to the robots.

Excellent animation and CGI create a world that is a retro version of the future - perhaps exactly what Asimov imagined rather than what we would now. The result is a compelling mix of the outré and the mundane that sticks in the mind just as Sonny's wink does.

This is not just an action film. Threaded through it are the same questions that Asimov raised about the nature of self and intelligence. Robots may never be human, but there are far more than furniture. And if their thought processes are alien, they are more than the sum of their programming. The result is one of the more carefully thought out science fiction films in recent times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and imaginative, but the same old Will Smith., October 28, 2004
I watched this one with my family over the weekend and, quite frankly, had a ball. Yeah, to some extent it's a movie with a message, but mainly it's just plain entertaining. If you try to read too much into it, you'll miss the opportunity for a good old-fashioned sci fi romp.

Fast forward to the year 2035. The monolithic company "U.S. Robotics" has put NS-4 domestic assistant robots into mass production, so much so that they are commonplace "members" of American society. Their artificial intelligence is designed to be as much like humans as possible, but is regulated by the "3 laws" programming that is hardwired into every robot. These laws are: 1. To protect human life above all; 2. To obey human commands except if it would violate law 1; and 3. To protect its own existence unless doing so would violate laws 1 or 2. The laws seem a foolproof way to ensure that the robots would never pose a threat to humanity. But all that changed when the man billed as the father of robotic technology and the 3 laws turns up dead in a very public, and very suspicous, manner, just as the new and improved NS-5 model is about to flood the market. The death is quickly written off by all concerned as a suicide. All except detective Dale Spooner, this is.

Being a good cop and a sharp detective, Spooner (played by Will Smith) in not content that the professor's death was a suicide, and begins investigating with the lead suspect, an NS-5 robot named "Sonny". Sonny's intelligence is so advanced, and his "emotions" so well simulated, that he appears to have something resembling a human soul. Spooner believes that Sonny killed the professor, and sets out to prove it. His (over)zealous approach to the task, coupled with his deep distrust of robots and their manufacturer, quickly lands him in hot water with some powerful people. Some difficult and destructive encounters with the metallic menaces leave him looking like an obsessive paranoiac, and ultimately result in his suspension from the police force.

Spooner continues his chase nonetheless, following a series of clues left by the dead professor, as step by step the mystery begins the unwind. All along the way are some great action sequences, plot twists and one-liners. However, except for Will Smith's character (which is the same as it has been in every film he has done since "Men in Black"), nothing about the story is predictable. When the final shoe drops, most viewers will be pleasantly surprised by the unexpected ending.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It was a wild ride with lots of great sci fi treats and effects. The only downsides were the lack of character development on any signficant level -- this is a purely plot-driven movie -- and the fact that Will Smith essentially played himself, much as he always does. Still, it's worth seeing. I certainly don't regret the investment of two hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars This review is for the 3D Version - HORRIBLE - Don't waste your time!..., February 15, 2013
I've proudly collected most all 3D Blurays available in the US since the beginning. I must say that I ROBOT is the worst 3D conversion I've ever experienced. I actually sold it on ebay for $9. It looked like a pop-out book - simply unsatisfactory. FOX/SONY has boasted about their new techniquest to convert 2D Classics to 3D classics. Note to Fox/Sony: PLEASE DON"T RUIN ANY FURTHER CLASSICS IN YOUR CATALOG WITH THIS QUALITY CONVERSION. I was so Dissappointed - a Great Movie in a horrible 3D presentation.

Sony/Fox should take some pointers from Pixar or James Cameron for the future 2D- 3D conversion. You thought Last Airbender 3D was bad - experience I-ROBOT and it makes the Airbender look like a classic. Shame on you Fox/Sony - Give us better quality 3D Conversions and we'll buy them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, January 3, 2013
I liked this movie. There were only a couple of things about it that annoyed me. One good thing about it was it starred Will Smith, but that was also the bad thing about it.

Here's what I mean by that. The character of Del Spooner as written by Isaac Asimov is completely flat and uninteresting. That's true for all of his characters, come to think about it. Asimov was an idea-man. His stories were always more about ideas than characters. I've read many of his stories, and while they always had interesting plots, the characters themselves were boring and lifeless.

Now along comes Will Smith, and suddenly, Del Spooner has some life to him. He actually seems more like a real person, which is great! Sort of. Some small doses of what I call "Smith-isms" would have been welcome here. But as usual, he has to go over the top with it, and this gets annoying after a while.

What I am talking about is "Generic Action Hero" Will Smith, where he pretty much just plays himself. You take any of his characters from his movies that start with an "I", and they are all the same guy - completely interchangeable. Independence Day, I am Legend, I Robot... he plays the same guy in every one. In all of those, he needs to take his shirt off for the audience (or in the case of I Robot, also show his butt in the shower). He also needs to say a lot of one-liners. And in some cases, he'll say or do something to someone to show how macho he is, then follow that up with another smart line that's supposed to show what a tough guy he is. But to me, it just makes him seem like a jerk.

Like the line, "Hold my pie. Hold it or wear it, sir." Supposed to be funny, right? But it's a Will Smith thing, not a Del Spooner thing. And it just makes me dislike the guy. It is kind of jarring, and this movie is filled with Smith-isms like that. You just have to get over it if you want to enjoy this movie.

I don't dislike Will Smith. I just wish he would tone it down a little. I don't really need to see his bare chest and butt - which has nothing to do with the story of this movie at all. I guess that's for the ladies, right? Except my wife watched it, and she just wanted him to put some clothes on.

Will Smith is like Tom Hanks in that way, where he pretty just plays himself no matter what he's in. Most people like Tom Hanks, so that's not usually a problem. Same for Will. And that's all I've got to say about that!

Back to the movie. I think Bridget Moynahan did a great job as Susan Calvin. Again, we had a pretty boring, lifeless character as written by Asimov. And this actress managed to rise above the lousy characterization and make Calvin seem more human. I liked this a lot.

Probably the best character in the movie though wasn't a human at all. It was Sonny, the CGI robot. This was really well done. One of the best highlights of the movie, IMO.

I'm not an Asimov fanboy who is hung up over the differences between the book and the movie. I've read the book, and I don't mind the title and elements of it being lifted to make something different. The book was a collection of short stories. It could never have been translated directly to the big screen. Instead, they just used Asimov's ideas about the future and made their own story. This worked out just fine, I thought.

I really liked the ideas presented in this movie. The tone of the movie felt right - except when interrupted by Smith-isms. But I learned to ignore those. I enjoyed how the movie made you think about the plot. Not everything was completely explained. I had to watch it twice before I really understood the story.

As far as the 3D Blu-Ray goes, I am sorry to say that I have to agree with most of the other reviewers who gave the 3D a poor rating. There is nothing wrong with the 3D in this movie. The problem is that there's just so little of it. There are long stretches of the movie where there is no 3D at all. I actually took off my 3D glasses at one point just to see if I was missing anything. Nope. The screen was perfectly clear. I was wearing glasses for no apparent reason. And then when the movie does have 3D, none of it pops from the screen. It is all just depth effects. The same effect that can be achieved with your 3D TV's auto-3D function (at least if you have an LG). Overall, it was a disappointing 3D purchase. If you have the 2D version, you're good to go. Trust me, you're not missing anything.

Some complained about the 3D Blu-Ray widescreen being cropped or something or other. I didn't notice anything like that, and I've seen it both ways. It seemed perfectly normal to me.

Also, there seems to be some confusion about what exactly is included with this disk. Here's what you get: 1 Blu-ray disk, and 1 DVD disk. When you play the Blu-ray, you can choose whether you want to play it in 2D or 3D. As for special features, I don't know the difference between this and the regular Blu-ray version.

Overall, it's a good movie and I'm glad I've got it. I'm not crazy about Will, but he does an okay job here. I wish the movie were less action-oriented and more cerebral, but you can't have everything. The 3D is forgettable, and disappointing to 3D fans such as myself. Buying this version versus the regular Blu-ray is pretty much no difference, except the regular is cheaper.

Recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed in the supposed 3D, October 31, 2012
Amazed to read some others found the 3D conversion suitable on I Robot.

I am using a top of the line blu ray 3D player and a new LG TV and I found I Robot to be a big disappointment and a very bad sign of where 3D (conversion) is headed -- studios using the cheaper conversion option and movies having little depth and no pop-out whatsoever.

The funny thing about the I Robot conversion to me was the small on-screen menu that would appear when prompted was the ONLY popout in the whole movie and the sad thing about that is that it immediately and constantly shows you and reminds you of how the movie COULD have been.

I do think the 3D version of I Robot is better than just the bluray experience BUT when you watch other 3D movies like Titanic and Avatar you'll see a day and night difference. At least I sure did.

To all studios: I will be re-thinking future decisions on 3D purchases if this is what you'll be offering us. What I see in I Robot is not worth the $30 pricetag at all. It's an amazing and entertaining technology but you are going to miss your opportunity if this is what you'll be offering us.

4.0 out of 5 stars I, pleasantly surprised, December 14, 2004
swingreen "swingreen" (Brooksville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Although I read Asimov when I was young, I didn't recall enough of it to spoil the movie for me. In fact, I read elsewhere that the movie only loosely follows pieces of Asimov's famous short story collection.

That being said, I loved the movie - it was highly entertaining, and a little philosophical, but not over-the-top philosophical like AI was (and nowhere near as lengthy). Will Smith does his usual fine job on screen, so you won't be disappointed with the acting. Don't listen to the critics who warned you away from seeing this movie - they were wrong again, as usual.

It didn't occur to me when I read Asimov years ago, but I finally "got" the significance of Dr. Calvin's name... John Calvin was a theologian of the reformation who argued that humans are pre-destined by God, and therefore do not have free will. Asimov's Dr. Calvin believes that the three laws of robotics make it impossible for a robot to have their own free will, and in a sense pre-destines their fate with humanity. Oh well, enough philosophy for a simple movie review. You'll have to see the movie if you want to know more.

The DVD also comes w/ some nice featurettes on the making of the movie, cast & director interviews, the writings of Asimov on robots, and various other of the usual things the studio throws in whenever they have some space left over on the disc.

My final recommendation is: five stars for the movie, and four stars for the supplemental material and packaging. This will make a great Christmas present for that sci-fi fan in your family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smith in another SF blockbuster that never fails to entertain, March 30, 2008
Jvstin "Paul Weimer" (Twin Cities, MN United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
An action/police procedual movie "inspired" by the work of Issac Asimov, and starring Will Smith.

I was reluctant to see this movie for a long time, until my friend Bridgette convinced me that it was worth watching. My reluctance came from the fact that the movie is very unlike the original Asimov stories, with only the Laws of Robotics and a few names making the transition.

The movie stars Smith as Del Spooner, Chicago police officer who has a real grudge against robots. This is hinted at in the opening title sequence, and is later explained in full detail just why Del has a problem with robots that no one else seems to share or understand. His boss at the precinct can't control him, his beloved grandmother chides him for his attitude, and he rubs everyone and everything raw, especially when it comes to the mechanical entities which now dominate Chicago and the rest of the U.S. in 2034.

So when Robot inventor Dr. Alfred Lanning (played in holograms by James Cromwell) dies in an apparent suicide, but asking for Del in his death message, Del's dislike for robots is put to the test as he visits the gargantuan building that holds US Robotics. Del's abrasive personality and style are matched against the cool and collected Dr. Calvin (Bridget Moynihan). It seems at first that Del's presence is useless and worse than useless. However, the apperance of Sonny (Alan Tudyk) and evidence suggesting that Lanning could not have committed suicide starts a chain of action sequences and investigations that reveal an audacious plan involving the latest model of robot to be released...

While the movie is 65% action and police procedural, and 30% science fiction, the movie does have a small dose of philosophy and the spirit of the original Asimov work As a minor spoiler, I will reveal here that, while not put directly in those terms, the movie's plot revolves around the "0th law". The first time I saw the movie, I recognized this immediately, and on this re-viewing, I appreciate that Proyas (who also directed Dark City (New Line Platinum Series) subtly inserted this distillation of the three laws. Proyas is a great director even if this movie, with its car chases and pyrotechnics does not play to his greatest strengths.

Cromwell does fine as a hologram, Moynihan does okay as Calvin. Tudyk provides a human face to Sonny the robot. Still, this movie, like many of his movies, belongs to Smith's Del Spooner. Smith is as always a protagonist which the viewers can follow. Even if, unlike many of his roles, Del's personality and history have a dark edge that (until this movie) Smith had never really explored before in movie roles. I note wryly that this is the second SF movie he has been in that he has been a police officer. (Men in Black (Deluxe Edition) being the first).

The movie IS a summer blockbuster type movie, but definitely in the upper tier of that subset of movies. The movie doesn't fail to entertain and I enjoyed it a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Will Smith movie, March 28, 2007
Will Smith shows a little more maturity in this one and is good as a robot-hating detective on a case that implicates a robot in a murder, something robots are not supposed to be able to do. Alan Tudyk's portrayal as Sonny, the robot with its own personality that can choose not to obey the three laws was really good. He really is the soul of the film.

I admire the fact that director Alex Proyas tried to blend a good science fiction story with a popcorn movie mentality, although it falls well short of being a classic because of that. Even the special effects, the fights, and the bots were all good. This is one of Smith's better movies (up there with Independence Day). The film works, but one wonders what could have been if Smith didn't always try for a laugh, or if they went for a darker feel. However, despite those problems, it was a fun film.

i, Robot
i, Robot by Will Smith (DVD)
Used & New from: $0.01