Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2010 2:42:30 PM PDT
Alpha Reader says:
Yeah, I don't like this Chosen.
I didn't like her in Rhage's book 'Lover Eternal' and I still don't like her in 'Lover Mine'.
It's partly the fact that I love Qhuay and resent the fact that Layla is yet another obstacle for Qhuinn and Blay (though oddly enough I do like Saxton).

I just think Layla is such a whiny, Mary-Sue character. She's so full of virginal goodness, but with the body of a siren (so, every guy's wet dream but kind of ostracizing female readers?). And all she does is complain about her lack of lovin'. I don't like her.

I really, really, really hope she isn't the intended Shellan for any of my favorite characters (Tohr, Lassiter, Trez or iAm).

Posted on May 3, 2010 4:56:37 PM PDT
327 says:
I cannot imagine who Layla would work with, as a shellan. Marissa used to get on my nerves, but then maybe its the whole idea of the Chosen. That they could have no will of their own. Phury and Wrath have done their part to modernize their world regarding the Chosen, but it also important that the women stand against it- like Cormia did. I love how Payne hates all that too.

Posted on May 4, 2010 2:08:58 AM PDT
M. Childers says:
LMAO. love the title of your thread.
ditto...I hate Layla too. She was the most annoying character in the entire book.
I really hope to that she isn't anyone's shellen. Maybe she will be a lesser casulty.
I won't say any more. Just gak..........

Posted on May 4, 2010 6:04:43 AM PDT
HAte the CHick....'nuff said!

Posted on May 7, 2010 9:18:41 AM PDT
Nathali Gil says:
LOL I agree Layla seems like a Mary Sue, and I'm so grateful there isn't too much on her because honestly she's boring and annoying. I really, really, REALLY don't want to read a book featuring her ugh.

Posted on May 8, 2010 12:31:18 PM PDT
T. Maxfield says:
Yep she would make a good casuality

Posted on May 8, 2010 1:06:12 PM PDT
Love 2 Read says:
I can't stand her either. The brain of a 10 year old and a woman's body. What a combination!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2010 12:20:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2010 12:22:20 PM PDT
Lassiter and Layla: ROTFLMHO! Now there's a match made in hell.

Layla's okay, but the less page time she has the more I like her. I did find it interesting that Qhuinn didn't go all the way with her. On her own merits, I really don't like her, but again that could be because she's still in "Chosen" mode. I want to see more of Selena.

Posted on May 9, 2010 5:44:39 PM PDT
Stela says:
i knew what you mean. I really hope that she does't end up with Quinn or something.

Posted on May 10, 2010 9:55:41 PM PDT
M. Childers says:
Re-reading LM made me dislike her even more. I really hope she doesn't get her own book. I don't want her to be any of the brother's shellen. And please not Lassiter!! I love him, can't wait for his story. I just can't imagine any change of circumstance making me like her.

(ps...I think Lassiter has a back history with some women....I seem to remember in one of the books, can't remember which one...one of the brothers makes a comment asking if Lassiter's women is still lost....and Lassister telling them to shut it. I can't remember which book or scene though.

Posted on May 11, 2010 3:33:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2010 3:35:30 AM PDT
Lassiter is the fallen angel right? sent by Wellsie before she was killed? please correct me if I'm wrong I may have forgotten some things

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 8:08:27 AM PDT
I remember reading that in the Insiders Guide - part of the slices of life or brothers on board. It's an exchange between V and Lassister. Not sure it's made it's way into the actual BDB novels yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 8:09:21 AM PDT
Wellise went to the SV after she was killed and asked that Lassiter be sent to get Tohr's rear in gear. At least that's what I remember.

Posted on May 11, 2010 2:39:31 PM PDT
Sylvie says:
I agree with ShadowDancer, I want to see more of Selena. Wasn't there a moment in Lover Avenged where Trez finds himself admiring her? I wonder if Ward was dropping a hint or two...

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 8:29:28 AM PDT
RomParty says:
On the BDB forum, the WARDen stated that when Lassiter is asked about "the female" its his sister!! Just letting you know!! =D

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 11:52:08 AM PDT
R. Simpson says:
She may have said that but it makes no sense, since the exact question is "How is that female of YOURS." Now unless Lassiter happens to be like the sympaths it is a very odd way for one to refer to their sister.Originally right after that interaction took place, when she was asked she was in fact saying it was his female (mate) that he was being questioned about and he needed his jesses to be with her. She did not change it to his sister until much later.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 3:05:22 PM PDT
Pie and Cake says:
I have a question.. If Layla gets a HEA... who is going to feed Rhage?

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 3:50:01 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
There are 39 other Chosen.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 9:23:36 AM PDT
Layla can croak for all i care. She seriously annoyed me in LM. I didn't mind in the other book because she wasn't given any major parts. However, she walked around like a horny child completely oblivious to the hurt she was causing. I wasn't all that into Cormia... but at least she was instresting when she started falling for Phurry. Now Selena... i could stomache her. From hwhat ive read... she's likable.

Back to layla... some people complain about being nothing but a convience but noooo.... she wants to be nothing more than a blood source and quick tumble. "poor unused me!" "Thy pity myself, fore I remain forever untouched!" UGGGGGGG! I thought if she said "thy" one more time I would bend the rules of reality and slaughter the chick!!!!!

Really... all this anger steams from major NO NO on her part. She hurt Blay. I don't care if it was unconsiously done... she caused him pain so im against her. And before it gets mention... Quhinn hurt Blay too, i know. And im PO at him for it... but their soulmates so there!

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:33:24 AM PDT
Seabreeze says:
I am not a big fan of Layla's, but I feel I have to defend her a little bit. She is not hurting anyone but herself. She is obviously clueless about pretty much everything and certainly about what is really going with Qhuinn and Blay. Her engineered upbringing by the SV has obviously done a number on her ability to think for herself, have some self esteem and take charge of her life. It is too bad Phury doesn't take more interest in what is happening with the remaining Chosen left with the SV. It seems Layla could use an intervention from those Chosen who were brave enough to leave the SV for new adventures "on the other side".

Qhuinn's priorities are so screwed up that he hasn't the b**** to follow his heart. He is using Layla and hurting both her and Blay at the same time. Layla just hasn't figured that out yet. I don't know where JR Ward is going to take this story line, but I hope Layla does figure it out and it becomes an epiphany for her. Maybe it will push her into changing so she won't be taken advantage of again and she can take control of her life.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:53:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2010 11:47:23 AM PDT
R. Simpson says:
I really don't get why everyone keeps blaiming Layla and Saxton and hating them for Qhuinn's actions. The only jerk in this is Qhuinn, he needs to get over his childhood and grow up! He is nothing more than a self destructive little boy playing at being a man. Qhuinn is using her and toying with her emotions just like he keeps toying with Blay's emotions. If this equation included two women's emotions Qhuinn was messing with I highly suspect many would not like him so much and blame those he uses. Until he can manage for more than one book being a self centered child hurting those around him, I don't want him with anyone because they all deserve better than him. If Qhuinn dislodges his head from his butt before Layla gets over her sad little crush and grows up herself, she is going to end up hurt since she is new to this world and completely ignorant of the workings. Layla mentally is at the that teenage understanding of love and doesn't seem to realize that their could be a possiblity that Qhuinn would want to be with someone else, since he keeps coming to her. That puts her at a point & understanding that clearly it will be forever and if not all is lost. Everyone grows out of that stage eventually but it would help if Phurry would manage to do more than with the Chosen than have them continue being what they were- food and sex for the Brothers and those he approves, while living in the world. Yeah they get to have interests but he has seriously dropped the ball on the rest, in my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me, I find Layla to be pathetic. She is very child like and stuck in the past. She has the chance to be more but it doesn't seem to me like anyone in the books or even the author wants to foster that becuase hey the Brothers might actually have to find someone else for their food. I expect if JRW ever does manage to do more with her, Layla's story will just be pretty much a sequel to Marissa's.

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 3:57:00 PM PDT
K. Salmon says:
Pie and Cake: "If Layla gets a HEA... who is going to feed Rhage?"
Mustang2000: "There are 39 other Chosen."

Wait, but 35 of them are up at the Great Camp (on This Side). That is, only 5 of the Chosen opted to stay on the Other Side. Clearly Layla's one of them (just another reason to kinda hate her!). It's not addressed, but I'm guessing the ones who have come over aren't keen to be on bloodbag duty? After all, Layla's feeding Qhuinn, Blay, John Matthew AND Rhage, who surely needs a lot, what with the Beast-- and it's actually quite problematic and dangerous, but nobody's helping her. Even if she's trying to keep it to herself (grrr), Phury would have to know, and you'd think he would assign one of the other four just for the sake of her health. But... no.

It's all kind of mysterious, but there you go. It's... a bit of a hole.
Actually, feeding in general is a bit of a hole; I just try not to think about it. (How do the women at Safe House get fed? How was Ehlena getting fed? Shrug!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2011 4:32:37 PM PDT
K. Salmon says:
Seabreeze said, "[Layla] is not hurting anyone but herself. She is obviously clueless about pretty much everything..."

Weeeelll... She hurts Cormia pretty badly when she comes over to the mansion and SPECIFICALLY goes to her, all "My sister! Verily, what is up! Oh, what's that? Why am I here? Ahhh... er... yeah, sure: Rhage. I'm here to feed Rhage... OHNOWAIT, later for that; I'm actually here to lay with your man, see ya! [skips tra-la-la-ing out of room]"

I don't even like Cormia, but I was like OhHELLNoYouDidNOT at that point. I mean, what was all THAT about? The only reason to do that little dance is if she knew how Cormia felt. (And why did she go to Cormia at all?) She knew, and she was stoked nonetheless. She could. not. wait.
Ugh. So uncool. She was dead to me from that moment on.

She's clueless alright: clueless about anything beyond what she wants.
And it doesn't help that all she wants is sex. What she's looking for is kind of petty, frankly. I'd have more pity-- after all, I doubt she knows there's anything else (eg: making love)-- but... see above! Dead to me. And it's not like she doesn't have options. She could come to This Side, hit the streets and get all the *ahem* she wanted. Doesn't have to be a Brother anymore. But noooo. She decides she wants the guy her "sister" is after. Verily, that sucks.

(Snort. Rhage should have been going to her all along-- she doesn't care who she's with. Wasn't that his criterion?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2011 6:09:57 PM PDT
Have you read the recent book? Qhinn and Layla discuss her feeding so many and her inability to stay on this side but yeah Layla's kinda clueless since she never spoke up and Phury should have known better than to have one Chosen feeding so many males. Also I think we can add V to that feeding schedule too - not sure why Selena gets off so easy by tending to just Thor.

As for Ehlena when she was single I figured she was like Xhex or Bella and just had a blood mate - someone she wasn't romantically involved with but who she fed from. Your point about Safe Place is a good one - no males allowed and a bunch of females who need to feed plus young (of either gender) who maybe ready for their transitions.

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 6:38:18 PM PDT
Sheri Moore says:
I guess if we knew every little detail we would be reading an encyclopedia size BDB books.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  May 3, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about