Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on May 25, 2013
So this is not a DFPM (direct force power meter) and does not measure actual force applied to pedals as other power meters do. With that said, I ride with others with DFPM's and this is on the money with the displayed power.
This measures power using speed, cadence, weight, wheel circumfrence, and slope, doing an equation to put out a power. This does its job with that.
Additionally, there are TONS Of display options that you don't get with other power meters out there, such as wind speed, elevation, slope, tss, cda, etc etc. There's so much you can do with this and I feel the other features are under appreciated.

The good: LOADED with features and display options. Accurate power display. Speed, cadence unit integrated into one and mounts on the rear chainstay. Choice of mounting unit to bars or stem. Quick on-the-fly change of screens to check slope or watts or cadence or temperature, or cda, or wind speed, etc etc.

The bad: Setup is a b****. It took 1 hour to set up before I was good to go. Installing software, updating software, inputting data to profile, etc. Other than that no problems. There is a learning curve to the buttons also. I advise to read the manual from the website.
You have to manually upload to strava if you use strava.

Once you get past the learning curve which was 2 rides for me, this thing ROCKS. I totally reccomend this to other people.

If you do get this, be sure to update the software before taking this out for a calibration ride. Makes calibration easier apparently. The problems people were having in other reviews have been addressed in the update and are totally fixed. This unit runs flawless once it's set up well.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
I've had many rides with this now and am happy to report that this is a great choice for a serious powermeter! I've used a powertap in the past and can honestly say that the power numbers seem identical to what I was getting with the powertap on similar rides. The Newton seems to have fixed what ever problems prior generations of this had. For the price.....this is a great choice, no.....this is a great choice period!
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2014
It is not a Direct Force Power Meter (DFPM) but relies instead on Newton's 3rd law. Which come to think it is much more useful for a cyclist than a direct force power measurement (in theory) as a DFPM will be limited by the force at the site it is being measured (at the hub, at the crank or at the pedal) while the Newton works by measure the holistic resistance to movement of the bike and rider on the road. (And we all know that the resistance force is equal but opposite of the power force...). This is why the software issues were so frustrating as you need to put your initial ride calibrations into Isaac to get a clean setup to make the Newton really work at all (see below).

Thus, once the Newton is calibrated right it is every bit as accurate as a direct force meter. I like the device itself, it works great, its like, easy to read and navigate, and once I bought the GT upgrade it works flawlessly with my Garmin Edge 500, sending power data directly to the Garmin which then married the power data with the existing GPS data, etc. (The Newton does not have GPS built-in, you need a head unit or a smartphone with GPS). The Newton paired with my Garmin Speed/Cadence and HR monitors with ease. ANT+ is robust. It appears to be very accurate and within a percent or two of other power meters I've tried. And it is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than the other monitors and can easily be moved from my road bike to my commuter bike (with an extra mount) - no need to change cranks or wheels or pedals.

I would say the software is not so much buggy as very sensitive to the system on which it is installed and not very intuitive. It (Isaac for Windows) installed on only one of my 3 computers without a hitch (Win 7 64-bit Ultimate), and on another the wizard crashes every time (Win 7 64-bit Ultimate). And on the third had problems installing the USB driver support (problem was on the Windows side, Win 7 32-bit Enterprise), but that was solved with a bit of registry hacking. So at first I was a bit frustrated, but the telephone and online support were great and I got everything run at last - took a day. I would recommend that you ask questions by email or phone, the support is great, the documentation - not so much. What documentation there is is very sparse and written for geeks by geeks. And while I am a computer geek, I still got tripped up on some of the functionality. The Isaac software has a ton of features and I am only now getting good at them. Again, the software is not very intuitive but hang in there as it comes with time and practice. But the software does correctly identify when I draft and brake, and I particularly like the very nice features with respect to head and tail wind. So although it is not a DFPM I think it works great and has really helped me understand where I need to improve my power as a cyclist, which in the end is what all these meters are about.
on April 18, 2013
I have wanted to get a powermeter for years but they're so cost prohibitive especially since I road and mountain bike. When I saw the ibike, it was a perfect fit! I can use it for both types of riding AND on my trainer! Awesome. The data has been so helpful for improving my muscular endurance on the bike and identifying weaknesses and giving me a way to quantify my improvements. My only complaints are that sensors that come with it are difficult to install initially and have them read cadence and speed successfully. It took me several minutes to find the correct alignment. But when I did, I haven't had problems since. Also the interface takes some getting used to. Their directions for navigating through the menus leave a bit to be desired. But with a little trial and error you can figure out how to see all the data it collects.Other than those minor quibbles it is a great machine!
on December 6, 2013
I ride about 150 miles per week and had been looking for a power meter to improve my cycling ability. This power meter fits the bill and is easy to set up. It gives you the standard speed, cadence, distance and in addition output watts and % grade. The meter uses a sophisticated algorithm to calculate watts using weight, speed, wind, and % grade. It is accurate when compared to other meters. It does seem to be sensitive to changes in wind in terms of calculating watts otherwise it gets 5 stars. If you are looking for a power meter you should consider this one at half the price of other meters. I have been very happy with it!
on October 12, 2015
I recently completed a tough 7 day road race through the Dolomites, and Newton 6 played a key role in my training and during the race. I purchased it because I needed power measurements for my training plan, and Newton became the best combination of accuracy, light weight, ability to work on more than 1 bike, and ease of use.
After training with it for 12+months, it performed as expected helping me chart my progress. During the race it performed flawlessly and was key in helping me pace myself trough the +150 km days.
When I needed support from the Newton team to solve for functions that were not working as expected, they over-delivered. The customer service team, not only solved my issue, they did so in the shortest amount of time possible and in a way that left me extremely satisfied.
Keep up the good work and I highly recommend Newton 6 to anyone who wants some of the best technology and customer service available.
on July 21, 2015
I love this device, but it was a long courtship. I think the software installation is too clunky a process, and the actual functioning of the software downloading ride information, erasing unsaved files etc is reminiscent of clunky windows stuff. This needs a rewrite really. And calibrating the device, and the buttonology; all tedious. But once mastered (like learning how to use the TV remote) it is really great. I use it to view the watts need to maintain speed and cadence up a grade and plan my perceived remaining energy accordingly. It makes my rides more fun to review all the performance metrics later. I highly recommend this powermeter; and as accurate as the tension-torque based units I have compared it to. Plus a real bargain compared to all the competition. Also the support is great via email; quick helpful responses. 11 of my riding club are converts to this device.
on July 6, 2015
First of all on the version I bought I had to pay Extra $99 for it to transmit power to my Garmin Edge 500, the unit has no backlight feature, I just had to pay so I could train at night (most of my trainings are at night). The measurement is very inconsistent, it has a lot of spikes that does not reflect what was really being put into the pedals, so you are not training with power, you are training with magic numbers and estimations. The worst part of all, this unit didn't last even 1 year, it has a faulty battery and now will have to go to RMA.

Save yourself money and patience, don't go for this one.
on July 16, 2014
good stuff - as long as you get good calibration it works like a charm
on September 4, 2015