5.0 out of 5 stars this is a powerful tool with a gps
Published on February 27, 2009 by rayja

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Wasted
This version is VERY OLD! The maps are from 1985 and do NOT include trail data. Get the Trails Illustrated maps instead, you'll be MUCH better off!
Published on May 11, 2005 by LaCaille Massey (Second Life)

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Wasted, May 11, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a powerful tool with a gps, February 27, 2009
I see a lot of complaints about this product regarding the outdated information. These maps are U.S. Geological Survey maps sets. Grant you, yes they were compiled from data such as aerial and ground surveys that are dated. That said, these are accurate maps of the areas they cover, these include monument markers that are THE reference for surveyors. These maps can be updated by the user with a GPS which gives one the capability of adding roads, trails, markers to your map sets making them a personal experience. No, these are not for someone that just wants a ready to use road/trail map. In other words, these are great for trailblazers, not followers.
I will give a few examples what you can do specifically. Ok, You find a gravesite on the map. {I have}, you mark the spot
with your GPS. You give the waypoint a name, in this case, grave, you send it to your GPS. Now when you get in the area you just click on Grave, and you are now being guided to your gravesite. You want to climb a particular mountain peak. Same thing, mark it, edit the name, send it to your GPS, you're there. I found a colony of uncommon plants, same thing in reverse, I marked the spot with the GPS, sent it to the map, edited the name giving it the plant's name. With all the reference points on all topo, you can locate things you won't find on Google. You can even do a search by name, and things that don't show up on the map, will pop up, flagged with the name and can be put on the map using a waypoint. Fantastic. Sometimes on Amazon, you do a review of one of a series, it shows up in all, as in this case. I now have this Arizona set. This Arizona set I just received and because of a lot of changes in some areas, such as the Grand Canyon, camp-grounds showed up that weren't on earlier maps. I first purchased the Nevada set, then California, now Arizona. That's how good these are. All scales of USGS topographic maps, how can you go wrong?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good topo program, compatible with other software, March 25, 2006
Allows you to export tif images with GIS/CAD world files for easy upload into Programs such as Petra. Downside is that if you are looking at a large area, you have to continuously change out disks (there are 5 or 6 of them).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 8, 2004
Awesome product.
The ability to see individual topo sheets is very useful, as is the ability to create custom seamed maps.
Dowloads of GPS waypoints to the computer, and the upload of GPS points fron the computer to the GPS unit is easy.
Customer support is phenomenal! They resopond quickly and personally answer your questions and even take recommendations on what might be nice additions for future updates (such as a Baja map set, or the addition of other datums besides NAD27)
I can't say enough about this product! The best mapping software out there

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked as a starting point, January 10, 2007
The maps were useful and plenty detailed, however not all of them were current or up to date. It served as a starting point, however, I still had to purchase more current versions of the areas I needed from BLM and USGS

4.0 out of 5 stars All Topo Maps v6 Alaksa, September 30, 2011
I purchased a copy of the Alaska version of these maps about 2001 or so, I have used then continually ever since. I wanted a library of USGS topo maps for the state. In particular the 63,360 maps.I had grown tired of buying new maps from the USGS map store every year. That is exactly what I got, plus all of the other USGS topo maps for the state.
While it is a bit clunky, you can stitch the maps together for custom coverage of areas located on two or more maps. I print all of my maps on 13x19 sometimes changing the scale to suit me. I have tried several other mainstream topo map products [Garmin, NatGeo, Delorme, etc.] and still prefer my iGage All Topo Alaska set.
They do not have all the bells and whistles that some do. But, I was not looking for those and am still not.
EDIT:
I am retiring sand moving to Hawaii this summer. I just sold the set locally here in Alaska for $75.
$25 is not a bad cost for 12 years of use.Note that I only used the original discs to burn copies for everyday use. The original discs were in pristine condition.

iGage All Topo Maps Montana Map CD-ROM (Windows)
Used & New from: $98.00