5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity.
Good book, easy to read and well explained answers. It's just a little expensive for an answer book for a genetics course.
Published 7 months ago by Dan

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor genetics textbook
Published on January 1, 2012 by redraider18

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor genetics textbook, January 1, 2012
I was required to use this book for an undergraduate genetics course. I found this book to be overly dense and obfuscating. It approached the subject as if it were a graduate/doctoral level genetics class. It has the unique ability to muddle even the basic concepts of genetics. The book itself is difficult to read. The pictures and diagrams were poorly structured such that if you read a paragraph detaling some graphic illustration, the graphic would be found on the next page. This is something I utterly despise in textbooks, especially science textbooks.

I rate textbooks based on their ease of reading, the entertainment I derive from reading them, and how much I learn from reading them. Rarely do I find biology/medical textbooks to be a chore to read. This is the worst one I have ever come across. I had to force myself to read this book because I found it so awful. I thoroughly enjoy the subject of genetics but this book, and the professor, left such a rotten taste in my mouth that I didn't return to the subject, either for school or for leisure, for a year. It should be an academic crime that such an amazing and beautiful subject could be treated so horrendously and flippantly as it has been done here.

I hope your institution chooses a better genetics textbook.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition full of errors, July 7, 2011
This review is from: iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
Buyer beware! Do not buy the kindle edition if you have to do book problems. The end of chapter problems were not imported correctly and will make you look like a fool in your class. I had to return my kindle edition because of the issues. Basically, fractions and font case were screwed up in the import, making it impossible to get correct answer when doing genetic problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Explanations are too technical, July 4, 2012
This review is from: iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
Although the book covers all the necessary topics for an undergraduate course in genetics, the text is complex and difficult to understand. A far better book is Genetics: Analysis & Principles by Brooker, which contains far less jargon and is better written, making it a more readable and understandable book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, November 12, 2013
This review is from: iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
The worst thing that can occur in a science textbook is disorganization and lack of flow. That is exactly what iGenetics contains.

The order of some of these chapters baffles me. My professor even teaches well out of order. The molecular aspect of the course contained in this book is poorly written and almost offensively branched out. It's extremely wordy and messy. I don't know how often they've begun to explain a concept or piece of molecular machinery and then started branching off into who discovered it and when and why. While that is an interesting tidbit, it completely interrupts the flow and diverges, and would be better suited for either the beginning of the chapter or a random blurb somewhere towards the end. This happens in every chapter.

The pictures/diagrams are also typically never on the page that's describing them.

Summary: This book is garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity., March 25, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS EBOOK, IT IS A WAIST OF $$$, August 21, 2012
I returned it as soon as it was downloaded. The page layout is horrible. When there are figures or images you can not expand the picture so that you can actually see what the smaller print is.

Very bad layout for an e-textbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Genetics Book, August 15, 2012
This review is from: iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
This book, I have to say is the best genetic book I ever have. It's even better than the "Mendelian Approach" version. The Sol. Man. is also comes in handy with this book. I happen to still find this book handy in other classes, particularly biochemistry class, and DNA-Protein Class. It helps me write my reports and my M.S. Thesis as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars i had a terrible professor but i depended on the book and got ..., August 27, 2014
This textbook is very detailed with enough images to help. i had a terrible professor but i depended on the book and got a B-.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete book, September 11, 2014
It is a book with an approach that allows from the simple to the complex in a stepwise manner. The figures are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase! Book was as described and arrive earlier ..., September 2, 2014
This review is from: iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
Great purchase! Book was as described and arrived earlier than expected. Would buy from this seller again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition)
iGenetics: A Molecular Approach (3rd Edition) by Peter J. Russell (Hardcover - February 12, 2009)
$209.00 $168.55