5.0 out of 5 stars A smart buy ...
Published on May 22, 2008 by Mark R. Ambrosius

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money
Published on September 30, 2008 by Dean Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars A smart buy ..., May 22, 2008
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
Loved it, loved it, loved it ... I got my Neo Monday Night. Downloaded some courses that night and golfed with it Tuesday Night. Absolutely perfect for what I wanted. At $149 and a one time membership fee to download 100 courses (not an annual fee to keep it running) who could want more? Neo told me distances to front/center/back and that's all I needed. Checked the markings on the course and they were right on. It's best used when you're off in the rough, angled away from the fairway distances and need a distance from your "current line" of sight. Distances to the center of the green off any line was dead on. Any green I missed last night was because of my shot, not club selection. I really liked it ... and I liked it because I didn't spend $400+ on color pictures of stuff I don't need or use and I don't have to pay an annual fee to keep turning it on year after year!!! If you're a mid handicapper like me, can execute but just need accurate distances from anywhere (and not from dead center of the fairway), this is the tool. It's great. Next, I need to learn how to add points on the holes with water and sand and all that junk. I'm excited ... can you tell? Loved it!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, September 30, 2008
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
The unit arrived on schedule. I joined iGolf (about $35)as required to download my local golf course. Downloading instructions were clear and easy to use. Only problem was the course gps data bore absolutely no resemblance to my course. Readings were hundreds of yards off and in no discernable trend. I emailed iGolf with problem description. No reply. I called iGolf and got a technician who requested a scorecard for my course. I sent it to him. A week passed. After more emails I received notice that my "new" gps data was now online. I downloaded. Nearly perfect. It was dead-on on 7 holes and up to 30 yards off on others. Absolutely useless.

I requested a refund of iGolf membership from them. No answer. I told Amazon that I wanted to return the unit. Excellent response.

I replaced the iGolf gps with a Bushnell V2 range finder & couldn't be happier. It is so helpful on oddly shaped greens where front/center/back information is meaningless.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, June 5, 2008
I have only played one round with this little gadget, but it really seems to help. I played a cheap muni course, so I figured the yardages would be good, but they were spot on.
It was good to go right out of the box. Just install the software and it'll help you download courses to it. I paid the yearly ~$35 fee and I can now download all sorts of courses.

You can REALLY easily figure out how long your shots went (which is rather depressing in my case). You can also easily mark certain trouble spots on the course easily as well.

My buddy has the Skycaddie 2.5 and the big difference between the two seems to be the intelligreen on the Skycaddie. You can figure out yardages not just to one spot on the green but many with the skycaddie, but honestly who needs THAT sort of accuracy. I don't think the $100 upcharge is worth it just for that one additional feature.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a simple GPS device that gives yardages to front, middle, back of greens, and also wants to keep track of how far they hit the ball.

5.0 out of 5 stars So small, you'll forget it's in your pocket!, May 20, 2008
mesaaz808 (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
The iGolf Neo was my first GPS unit for golf. I've had the laser range finders, and this Neo makes finding the distance much quicker. Though it does not give distance to the pin, it is very accurate to all areas of the green. I've been able to download all courses that I need. The "shot distance" feature makes betting on "long drives" fun because you can measure the exact distance to each ball. Mapping each hole is simple, and you can map 4 different things per hole. And it is literally so small, you'll forget it is in your pocket. And I do keep it in my pocket, because the only negative thing is that the unit does not stay in the plastic belt clip very securely. Oh, and did I mention that it's the lowest priced GPS unit out there?? Well worth the money!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket!, August 26, 2008
Wink Swain (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
I have been researching GPS rangefinders for two years after giving up on line-of-sight laser models (ever tried to focus on a 18" flag from 175 yards?).

I was impressed by the number and variety of GPS devices on the market and amazed at the array of features. But I could never bring myself to pull the trigger. Just too expensive for what I (and most people) need. Give me an accurate distance to the center of the green (and perhaps the distance to clear the creek on #6) and I'm a happy camper, and if you can help me figure out the max on my 6-iron, well that's all the better. After watching every sale on amazon and ebay for a looong time, I finally decided that I would just sit this one out and continue to waste time pacing distances from the oddly situated yardage markers on my home course. Then iGolf introduced the Neo in April. Great price point (cheaper than last year's hybrid). I watched the early returns (reviews) and then pounced.

I'm delighted. Everything I needed for less than half the cost of the market leader. Setup was a snap, and charting my home course (front, center, back of the greens, as well as a few key custom waypoints) took less than 1.5 hours. I even mapped the flags on the driving range! (Of course, you can download courses for the price of membership at iGolf.com, but as previously noted, I'm cheap.)

Another nice touch is the shot distance feature. Simply click "OK/SHOT" from the starting point and again when you've arrived at your ball and you can begin to chart your club distances under actual playing conditions. And that's really the point. The GPS by itself may or may not cut strokes. It's what you do with the information you now have in the palm of your hand that's important. In two rounds using the Neo, I only "mis-clubbed" once. I may have "mis-hit" a few times, but I did have a new confidence in my club selection. As a consequence, I was able to swing comfortably without having to "jump all over" a shot because I thought the distance was a reach. I fully expect this little device to help me improve the way I think about the game. I know that I will no longer be distracted by the search for a yardage marker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, but great value, May 31, 2008
I've used Neo for 3 rounds so far and it is very easy to use. Downloading courses was easy, but I'm a software engineer by trade so it should be easy for me. (I had a Sonocaddie that I couldn't download courses to and need to return it. I was told it was a bad unit, but the Sonocaddie download process is flawed in my somewhat expert opinion.)
My buddy has a GolfLogix which is a much better unit, but is also about twice the price.
The biggest issue I have is that the distances to the center of the green on the pre-mapped are usually off by 2-7 yards. Not a big deal since you can re-map an hole. (This is not an option of the much more expensive GolfLogix, but the distance on the GolfLogix was usually very accurate. But it stop giving you distance to the green when you are closer than 30 yard. This seemed odd to me.)
I'd would recommend this product to anyone who wants an inexpensive golf gps.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful device -- but check for courses available, June 8, 2008
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
I have had the iGolf Neo for a week now and couldn't be happier. My golfing buddies drool over it! The device is very fast and very accurate and I love its small size. As reported in various golf forums, the only problem is the belt clip holder: the first time I played with the Neo, the device fell out, and I had to re-trace my steps on the golf course to find it. Whew! However, I now simply stuff it in my pocket, and that works fine. Other electronic devices tend to get more expensive as they get smaller -- not so with the Neo, which is much less expensive than the competition. I was ready to buy a Skycaddie 2.5 until I came across the lower-price and more convenient Neo. A real winner!
Note: Here is a follow-up to the above review, written two months later: I continue to be very satisfied with the Neo. I have used it many times at my home course and have also used it at several other courses, both in Canada and the US. Only 1 of these courses was not available for downloading from the website, and this may be due to the fact that this particular course (where the PGA holds a tournament) provides a caddie (i.e., the caddie had a yardage book and gave me my distances for every shot). Customer service from iGolf is pretty good: sometimes the iGolf website has been down; sometimes the live customer support is not available; and, a couple of email inquiries have gone unanswered. But all in all, I am extremely happy with the Neo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest value for price, September 30, 2008
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
We bought this for my dad's birthday. He plays at least once a week. He's enjoyed it and was very glad it wasn't a Sky Caddie since he's heard alot of bad reviews from his friends that have one. He almost lost it last week because I forgot to tell him not to use the belt clip holder. He's got a cell phone holder he'll use instead.
Negative:
He had a problem with his computer (or him) trying to do download the courses. The customer service number wasn't listed in the paperwork, but he found it online. Once he got the fix from the cust. serv. rep. he had an easy time downloading what he needed.
Positive:
He's happy with only paying a yearly $35 fee instead of monthly like the other gadgets.
He has bad eyesight for small electronics but with the font size on the screen and simplicity, he has an easy time with it.
It's been very accurate with the yardage.
I can't wait to get one of my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with IGolf, July 31, 2008
Love my "iGolf" now!!
First the bad news. They are very secretive with the fact that the set-up for this is not, and I repeat not able to work with Macintosh computers! So you must go out and find "PC computer people" to download golf courses and get started.
Once everything is started, this is a wonderful little GPS for golf. I love its size, ease of overall use, and long battery time.
I highly recommend this to everyone, but MAC users beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars All a mid-handicapper really needs, October 21, 2008
This review is from: iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS (Electronics)
I looked long and hard at all of the GPS options out there before deciding on the neo. It turns out I made the right choice. The neo does everything I need it do do. Distance to front, center, and back is very easy to read, and makes it very simple to figure a yardage to the pin within 1-2 yards. The shot distance feature is very easy to use as well. I was a little worried about it not advancing automatically to the next hole, but I have just gotten into the habit of clicking the button when walking off the green.

The size is fantastic. It easily fits in my front pocket without me even noticing it. If you don't want it in your pocket, I would suggest either buying the leather case, or picking up a cheap cell phone case to keep it on your belt. The clip is junk for anyone with any type of a gut as the unit falls out pretty easily when bumped. This is the only thing I can really speak negatively about.

The software is easy to figure out. It may not be extraordinarily sleek, but is highly functional. One of the appeals of this unit was that you pay for 100 courses one time, then they are yours. No annual subscription fee to pay like golflogix or skycaddie. What a rip-off. For the Garmin in my wife's car, we download a map update and it is ours for all time. I see no reason golf courses should be any different. That was probably the biggest deciding factor between the neo and the Garmin for me.

Battery life has been fantastic. Can easily get three to four rounds in. The other thing that is great about the battery is how well it holds charge between rounds. I hadn't played in 3 weeks because of an ankle injury and had forgot to plug in the neo the night before. It still had almost a full charge from 3 weeks prior and I was able to get through the round with no problem.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the neo. It speeds up pace of play and helps maintain a much better rhythm to my rounds allowing me to focus on the shot at hand better. I don't see any reason I would need any more information than what it provides.

iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS