4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, but could use some upgrades
Average sound quality, even when it plays loudly, but considering the size it's very reasonable. On par or better than most laptops.

Published 17 months ago by Heather W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound
Published 19 months ago by P. McWhorter

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, but could use some upgrades, May 9, 2013
This review is from: iHome Bluetooth Rechargeable Mini Speaker Cube - Black (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The bluetooth feature is the main draw. I can connect to the speaker wirelessly, with my sons bluetooth laptop or with my phone. My kids linked it to the computer, hid the speaker in a lego spaceship, and then played spacey sound effects from the computer that came out of the speaker in the toy. The speaker seemed to work from a decent range. With this quirky benefit, there are endless pranks that would make this fun. "Luke, this is your father."

A big negative is that the speaker doesn't have any volume settings on it. When connected to the computer this isn't a problem since you can just adjust the computer volume. For some reason though, the volume adjustment didn't really work from my phone, with the only two settings for the speaker being LOUD or OFF.

The bluetooth feature is pretty simple: Once you pair a device with the speaker initially, you can use the cord to do this..it will automatically connect to your computer once it is turned on to the bluetooth setting.

For $50 it is kind of expensive. However, if you travel a lot with your computer and don't want to unplug/plug cords in constantly, the wireless feature is handy and allows you to listen to sounds closer to where you want to listen rather than closer to the source. Or it gives you easy/cordless richer sound from your phone or laptop.

Amazon provided me with this product in exchange for an honest review. No directions on how/what to say. I feel that I would probably NOT spend $50 for the product because we don't have that great a need, but it is much handier than the corded speakers we have for the laptop. If you found some benefit from this review, I would be grateful if you'd check "yes" below.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product was easy to set up. It paired up nicely with my iphone, right out of the box. I was very impressed with the sound. Given the size and price of this unit, my expectations were pretty low, but when I turned it on, I was pleasantly surprised. The sound was very good, loud and crisp. You can get pretty loud volume without distortion. It looks good, and is easy to take with you.

There does appear to be some issue with the volume control (on mine at least) after the unit sits for a while, and you return to listen to it again. It appears to have very limited volume range. You have to disconnect, and re-pair with bluetooth, and then the volume works good again. I am not sure exactly what is going on, but there is some bug associated with bluetooth and volume.

The device is still usable, but this is glitch is a nuisance. Not sure if everyone is experiencing this.

Overall I am pleased with the performance of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars NFC makes setup soooo easy!, December 26, 2013
Eric Haluska (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This speaker looks nice, it has a rubberized finish that feels good in the hand and to top it off the sound is great. However, the coolest thing about this speaker if the NFC.

I tried this with an iPhone 5, Verizon LG G2 and a Nexus 10 tablet. The LG G2 and the Nexus 10 both come with NFC (near field communications). Turn on NFC and Bluetooth, bring the phone or tablet near the speaker and up pops a message saying it wants to connect. That's it. Start playing music and it comes out of the iHome speaker. Flawless connection process, great sounding and much louder than you would expect.

The iPhone 5 has an extra pairing step (like all Bluetooth only phones) which is easily done and well documented. My 9 year old girl uses the iPhone 5 with it without a problem.

*** Updating review ***

Now even more!

So this iHome Mini has a 3.5mm out port to connect to another iHome Mini. I connected it to a homemade portable powered speaker and it works great. However, it outputs stereo to both speakers, i.e. it does not separate the left and right channels.

*** 'nother update ***

So now it's been a few months... still awesome. Everything is still working and sounding great. It is a seriously great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Speaker Pumps out a Lot of Sound, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing you notice about the iHome iBT16GX Bluetooth rechargeable speaker is its size. The speaker is super small, about the size of a stack of Post-It Notes, and the rubberized exterior gives the speaker a solid feeling.

Pairing your Bluetooth device to the speaker is very simple. I was able to pair my Droid Razr Maxx and iPod Touch quickly. Pairing your device to the speaker the first time somehow pushes the volume of your device as a high as possible, so be prepared for loudness when pairing.

The good news is that this little speaker does get quite loud, and, considering how small the speaker is, sound does not distort too badly, even when the volume of your device is turned to maximum. The bad news is that there is no dedicated volume button on the speaker, so you have to use the volume control on your device. The loudness when pairing problem only seems to happen the first time you pair your device.

iHome provides a 2-in-1 USB/3.5 mm audio to micro USB cable. I find these cables very useful, as they allow you to charge the speaker and connect to a non-Bluetooth device at the same time. The speaker is powered by a rechargeable lithium ion battery.

I like the iHome iBT16GX. While I would have preferred a speaker with a dedicated volume button, this little speaker gets pretty loud and puts out a clear, precise sound. There's not much bass, but the sound it pretty consistent, and even when loud does not distort. Its small form factor makes it easy to take to the office or on trips. And it feels solid enough to endure a few bumps along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little speaker, April 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a few mini Bluetooth speakers, and this one is definitely one of the better sounding ones. It was fairly easy to set up for Bluetooth.

What I dislike about it is that I think a good powered speaker should have dedicated volume control. Even the old portable battery operated speakers from the 80s generally had a dedicated volume control.

What I like about it? It sounds good. The bass is even and non-distorting, and it's generic settings work for most music types. It's just loud enough to enjoy music and audio books.

It's adorable. It's a small cube, and attractive. It charges quickly and lasts a fair amount of time on a charge. It's easy to tell when it's fully charged. It works with Bluetooth or with devices with a standard 3.5 mm jack. The jack is on the same cord as the charging cable and it's about 3 feet long.

I like using mini speakers for listening to audiobooks while doing other things, or for listening to classical music while reading. This is perfect for that and I'm looking forward to having it outside with me in the summer while working on my garden. It's loud enough for me to enjoy it without it disturbing the peace of my neighbors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good buy, January 23, 2014
Within one week of using the mini speaker, the sound was gone! I can only hear a low whisper of my music. Not a good buy at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Speaker, June 3, 2014
I've had this speaker (in blue) for about a year now. While I do have a full size stereo/iPhone dock, this was my first time having a portable Bluetooth speaker in my house. I honestly bought it so that way I could play music in the bathroom while I'm showering and getting ready for work in the mornings without having to blast music from my stereo and disturb my neighbors or my roommate. It works amazingly and I haven't had any complaints from the neighbors or my roommate. I'm a pastry chef, so this is wonderful for me to get my early morning music fix.

The lack of bass doesn't bother me, and it stays charged for a really long time. I only use it for about an hour a day and only need to charge it once every week and a half, give or take a couple days, depending on usage. It was easy to pair with my iPhone 5 and my roommate had no problem pairing it with her Samsung Galaxy 4s either. Overall I love this product and would recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars iHome cubes rock!, May 23, 2014
I absolutely LOVE my iHome cube! I just got it two days ago, but my roommate has had one all year and she let me use it all the time. It's so convenient to be able to bring it where ever you want, it's great at the beach or just outside on the deck. I listen to Pandora all the time on my phone so using the blue-tooth to connect to it is great! It gets surprisingly loud for it's little size! I never need it on the full volume! Also it's awesome that the entire cube is rechargeable! It's so much better than having to always replace batteries. I give this product a two thumbs up and I would recommend it to anyone who loves listening to music and bringing it where ever they want!

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money, very good product, August 13, 2013
Daughter head off to college this fall, so she got one for Iphone5. Pairs nicely. Then I paired it to my iphone too. Then when we put it back with her phone, the volume was very low on the iHome mini speaker for her. I mean really low! So we did "forget this device" on her phone setting and then did an initial pairing back on her phone, and total volume then came back. There was just some interface issue having it with 2 phones? All good now.

We actually ordered a second one for the house now. Great for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but it packs a punch, November 5, 2013
I received this as a gift through work...didn't think much of it. Opened it up, read the simple pairing instructions and BOOM...my iPhone was now streaming my music through this small little box.

Pros
-Easy connectivity via Bluetooth to iPhones
-Sound is respectable. Loud enough to bother my roommate but it won't bother the neighbors
-Love the fact that it has an audio output connection...you can literally turn any other speaker into a bluetooth speaker
-Includes a USB/Audio cable. Never seen one of these before.
-Battery seems to last more than what other reviewers say it does.
-Lightweight. Portable. Cute (my girl said that)

Cons
-Sound does distort IF you put the volume on max
-Can only pair one device at a time (no big deal really)
-No deep bass. But what can you expect from something so small
-No volume control. Volume can only be controlled by your iPhone (or other device)

Conclusion:
I got it for free...would I buy it for it's current price of $40-$50? The answer is YES. I'm planning on buying a couple for my kids for xmas...