5.0 out of 5 stars THIS LITTLE THING IS GREAT
Published on July 30, 2009 by CJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, looks great, sounds decent
Overall, 4-stars, pretty good.

The sound is pretty decent. Forget deep, rich bass that others describe. Sounds better than most "mini-speakers" systems, though. Sounds like a small boom-box. At least the sounds are well balanced and articulated, not muddy or distorted.

It can also get pretty loud. Surprisingly, the bass response seems better at...
Published on January 31, 2010 by Regular Guy 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS LITTLE THING IS GREAT, July 30, 2009
CJ "CJ" (Accra, Ghana, Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iHome iH15 Color Changing 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock (Electronics)
I too had read a million reviews for a million products. I decided to risk it with this since most of the reviews were good. I have A 4TH GENERATION NANO- and yes there is an adapter for it. We listen to it everyday. IT CHARGES YOUR IPOD WHILE DOCKED. The sound is great. The color change is cool. I wanted something small that sounded great. I use it in every room of the house, especially the kitchen while I am preparing meals. The sound is great for such a small cube. I would recommend this to anyone of any age. In a day where most things don't do what they say in the advertisement, finally something that exceeds those promises. You won't go wrong with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, looks great, sounds decent, January 31, 2010
Overall, 4-stars, pretty good.

It can also get pretty loud. Surprisingly, the bass response seems better at high volume levels.

The look of the cool, color changing cube is awesome. It has three modes:

> solid color of your choice;
> revolving colors, changing every few seconds;
> constantly oozing through the whole spectrum.

It's the third mode that's the coolest. It's dim enough to make a nice night-light without lighting up the whole room. And the light stuff works whether the sound is on or off, and it's easy to turn the light off when the sound is off as well.

CON - It has no clock, and no "auto on" feature. I had expected to leave it on and use my iPod's alarm to turn on, thus playing music to wake me up. However, it does not appear to work. When docked, the iPod's alarm does not go off. Maybe I should try it again with the iPod on, but not playing a song.

So overall, it's very nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, quirky little speaker and ipod dock, August 2, 2010
I've had this for 3 months and have become obsessed with it -- I use it in a 300 sq-ft room, and it sounds great -- PROS/CONS follow.

PROS
Compact and lightweight -- it's just under 6"x6"x6" and maybe weighs a pound? Very easy to transport. It has little rubber feet that grip it to a flat surface.

Surprisingly good, rich sound quality -- I'm not an audiophile by any means, but would rate this very highly for the size and especially for the price. You can't adjust the bass or anything else, but the default is just fine.

Works overseas (100-240V) -- I took this with me while living abroad, and it works great with a simple Euro-plug converter. The plug is also relatively small and light (about 3"h x 2"w x 1"d), and easy to pack.

Charges iPod in its case -- I have the Griffin mirrored case (open bottom) over a 7G classic iPod, and it just barely fits, but it does fit. Also there are several dock adapters so you can use it with other iPod models.

Versatile -- The 3.5mm auxiliary jack allows you to use this with any device supporting a standard male-to-male input cable. It would be nice if a cable were included, but at this price, I can't really complain. Sound quality remains high across devices (I've used it with a Sharp tube TV and MacBookPro). It works with an auxiliary device plugged in, while the iPod is charging in the dock (w/the iPod turned off/paused). So you can use it as a laptop speaker, and keep the iPod docked to charge.

CONS
iPod alarm doesn't work with it -- I've had this problem with other speakers too, so I don't penalize this one too much for what could be an iPod-related problem. I use the speaker with my Mac laptop alarm, via a long (20') 3.5mm inline aux cable, and it works well.

Volume buttons are a little sticky -- You have to press them a few times to register a perceptible change. I prefer the touch sensitive buttons that JBL uses on my OnStage and Harmon Kardon sticks. It also takes a few seconds after turning on your iPod for the sound to "catch up" to the existing speaker volume.

No mute button -- You have to press the off button. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
Color light -- The stock photo that iHome uses is a bit deceptive. The colors don't change into solid "flat" colors, but into glowing color-lights. You can let it cycle through the colors or freeze it on the color of your choice. It's fun for 5 minutes, or, if you're 8, 5 years. Then you turn it off completely.

Carrying handles -- The handles are incorporated into the speaker as a curved piece protecting each of the 4 grills. This is a clever concept, but it's kind of disconcerting to scrape the grill fabric with your fingernails when using the handles.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was great... for four months... then stopped working., May 24, 2010
I loved this product. LOVED IT. I never had a problem with it, and, in my small office, it had great sound. However, four months after purchase, it stopped responding. None of the control buttons work - although the unit still charges my iPod and lights up. It is past the 30 days I could return it to Amazon.com and iHome will only look at it for $25.00. Consequently, I am out of luck and would not recommend this product due to spotty longevity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just stopped working, October 25, 2010
We bought this for our daughter for Christmas. She just loved it and we were completely satisfied with the sound and the ease of use. 6 months later it just stopped working. It will no longer charge the IPOD or play music, only the color changing feature remains functional. After looking through the reviews again I see that this is a recurring problem with this speaker system. In my opinion the poor reliablility of this system outweighs any of the positives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after a few uses., February 15, 2010
Ang AZ "AH" (Phoenix, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
It was great for the first 3 weeks, thereafter it stopped working. I must have gotten a lemon since this product had great reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, good machine, February 2, 2010
SuburbMom (Valencia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm not that into sounds and all that, so I don't have anything to compare to, but I thought it sounds pretty good.
Of course it looks cool.
I used it with my iPod touch 3G.
The only thing is that you have to use this insert to support your iPod and when you do, you have to take off the iPod cover each time (if you use one). If I didn't use the insert, I can use it without taking off my cover, but I'm scared to do so as it says it might damage the connection part of iPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift!, April 18, 2009
The Mom (Cleveland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
We purchased this for our daughter's 9th birthday. She was also getting an ipod nano and thought this would be perfect for her room. The sound quality is good. What makes this so great is the color changing box. Our daughter thought this was so cool! It is really fun and is especially cool when the lights are off! Definitely recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect for dorm or party, not so much for the bass-lover, July 8, 2009
isha whittaker (transiency, in the USA) - See all my reviews
I absolutely LOVE this product. the color changing is sooo fun. I wish the color changing mechanism was capable of changing WITH the music. The "bass" sound is not amazing (I thought it would be because of the sub-woofer thing) and my '91 car stereo rumbles more than this does :( however, for a 5 inch box, it still has good sound, and is capable of being fairly loud. does not come with the chord attachement for MP3/cd plug in! must be plugged in to power source (no battery capability). All things considered (price, sound quality, etc) this would be a PERFECT "dorm" purchase! and I believe that's what the marketing/audio-decisions were geared towards. BUT if you want pristine sound and bass, you'd better be prepared to pay for it

1.0 out of 5 stars Only good for six months..., December 28, 2009
This was a great for about six months...then quit working completely. Very disappointing. Amazon would not replace the item, stating their guarantee is only for 30 days. $60 is a lot of money for a speaker that is only guaranteed to work for 30 days!

iHome iH15 Color Changing 30-Pin iPod Speaker Dock