on August 18, 2011
Just got this today and played around with it for a while. I was thinking of buying the iP9 last week, but am so glad I didn't because this one has been listed on Amazon since then at almost the same price.

I've tested the alarms, which work as they should. While the unit itself has the 2 alarms similar to the older version of this (iP9), the app, which is free to download through the app store, can have many more alarms. The features I really enjoy on the app are being able to choose "bedtime" music, and choose specific songs to play to fall asleep to or wake up to, and you can even set the volume on your individual alarms. The app also has things like the weather displayed on the alarm screen, which is always nice to know when you wake up. What I also really enjoy about this when compared to the regular iPhone alarm is being able to set the time for the snooze. The unit comes with the docks to support multiple devices, but I like that I can also plug my iPhone in without there being a dock since I have a pretty thick case on my iPhone. Another great feature is that by the press of a button on the device, you can sync the time on the clock to match your iPhone time. The one con I have found in the few hours I've had this is that the time does not remain synced, but is not off by more than a minute (this is stated in the user manual as well).

Overall, the fact that I can set the alarms and more from an app makes this alarm clock definitely worth it. The sound quality is also really great and doubles well as speakers in the bedroom.

The app is called iHome+Sleep (FREE), and there is also another one that you can use to wake up to internet radio stations (iHome+Radio) which costs $2.99, although I haven't tried that one out yet.

UPDATE 11/29/11:
I've had this for a few months. I'm not as impressed with the App as I was at the beginning. I've found bugs in it and it's failed me a few times (luckily I was never late). The alarms on the unit itself work very well. Maybe I just haven't figured it out perfectly, but the app alarms haven't really worked smoothly for me. Regarding other things...I love the nap feature that is both on the app and the unit. Also to note, the alarm DOES go off when the phone is on silent.

I reduced the stars I gave it from 5 to 4 because of the app, but I still recommend this iHome, especially since the former version that has fewer features is more expensive now as it's being phased out.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2011
I am a speaker "connoisseur." Therefore, I know and have used many speakers before. The i-home is a great product for so many reasons.

1.) It is very small and fairly light.

2.) The system has a form of an operating system, that can be updated through your ipod or iphone.

3.) There are adapters so your generation or type of ipod/iphone will fit nicely.

4.) You can set 2 alarms, with advanced settings such as:
- the time
- choose weekends/weekdays for it to go off
- alternating buzzer or a choice of a digital am/fm radio station
- can set a volume for the radio alarm

5.) Day Light Saving setting

6.) there is an mp3/auxiliary jack on the back

7.) great sound quality for the price!

8.) Equalizer that changes:
- treble
- bass
- Turn off/on 3D sound
- 3D sounds fills the room
- gives the music for depth and quality

9.) easy to set up

10.) Digital clock and radio

11.) Change the brightness for the LED screen

The Sound:

The sounds is great for what you are paying for. The speakers can be heard from my room on the third floor in the kitchen on the first. The iHome has the great 3D sound setting and Reson-8 speaker chambers with a bass export on the back. Therefore, the speakers music fills the room and the bass has some punch. I have hooked up mine to my dual subwoofer, so the sound is phenomenal. I have actually replaced my old sound system for the iHome and my woofer! Though, these are small speakers, so don't expect to get too much bass with these. They are perfect for alarm clocks, but if you want to use it as a speaker system, use a subwoofer and attach it to the iHome via the 3.5mm aux jack on the back. A problem is that the treble can be a bit "tinny" for a few songs, but only on 3/300 songs on my mp3 player does that happen.

Overall:

I would recommend this product to anyone looking for one of the best alarm clocks on the market (especially for the money)! If you would like to use it as a speaker system, i would recommend adding a subwoofer, since the small size of the speakers tend to indicate less bass. This is probably one of the best products (that have to do with music) I have ever purchased.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2011
This thing was easy to set up, looks very slick, is quite compact but it has a HUGE sound. Who would have thought a clock radio with bass and treble control! Well, I guess IHome did... Love the dimmable LCD and backlighting on the buttons. I've been laying a handkerchief over my previous clock radio because it was too bright next to the bed. One word of warning.... The "App-Enhanced" is something that is NOT built into the radio, it just means that it will play apps from the IPod/Phone when it's plugged in. I have an IPod Classic which is not connected to the net so I will not be able to listen to internet radio as I expected. I compared this unit to the Logitech Squeezebox and probably would have spent the extra dough to access Spotify and other streaming music sources. Oh well, I'll keep it because it sounds so good.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2011
Package Type: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First of all, the iHome iA9BZC App-Enhanced Dual Alarm Clock Radio for iPhone/iPod has wonderful sound. It features a dimable interface which is great if bright lights keep you awake. My old radio/alarm was so bright that it kept my wife awake unless I turned it to face the wall. She really appreciates the dimmest setting on the iHome. Setup was fairly straight forward but the directions could use a revamp as there were some sections that required a second or third reading and some experimentation to work.

This unit has the usual features of most clock radios including battery backup, backlit buttons, presets for AM/FM stations, and an AC power adapter.

There are a variety of adapters that allow different devices to be used. Be forewarned the adapter for the iPhone 4 will NOT work if you have the bumper installed. I did discover that if you don't use an adapter the iPhone 4 with the bumper will work in the unit however it is tenuous. As long as there's no jostling the phone will stay connected. I have not had any problems at all but I can see if you had kids or a big dog bumping into your night stand, it could possibly disconnect.

I was somewhat disappointed to discover that all the cool things you can program with the apps in your iPhone will work only if your iPhone is connected to the unit and only affect the iPhone. For example you can program a dimmer setting for your iPhone however it does NOT dim the display of the iHome itself which I thought could have been better designed. It seems obvious to me that if you programmed your iPhone settings to dim that would also mean you would want your iHome dimmed as well. Nope. You have to manually dim the iHome in addition to programming the dimmer in the iPhone.

I like the reminders feature. You can program reminders to display when your alarm wakes you. And it can also display the current weather and the forecast.

If you are consistent with the use of the tools, you can also monitor your waking/sleeping times but since I don't have sleep problems, I did not make use of the feature but simply investigated the steps involved in its usage.

There's a lot to love about the iHome but one major drawback for me is the price. Yes it has lots of cool features (if you use them all) but not enough to warrant the high price, in my opinion.

If you don't mind the price and want a full-featured clock radio for your iPod or iPhone, the iHome iA9BZC is a good choice.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The "iHome iA9BZC" is a very good, full feature radio alarm clock and dock for iPods (including our 3rd generation iTouch). We already own (and like) the iHome iP9 Speaker Dock with Clock Radio for iPod and iPhone (Black), but like the enhancements they made on this model. Here are my observations:

+ iPod Dock - Makes firm connection using the included inserts
+ AM\FM Radio - Good reception on both bands
+ Dual Alarm Clock - A nice feature since my wife and I both use this clock
+ Remote Control - Full function remote control
+ Audio Quality - To my untrained ear, this unit sounds very good for a nightstand clock radio
+ Brightness Control - sets the display brightness

We have not installed the free app that provides additional alarms and control options since my needs are more basic. There is also a paid app available that allows for the addition of Internet radio stations when the iPod is attached.

Overall I am very pleased with the iP9BZC both as an iPod charger and as full featured clock radio.

Highly Recommended!

CFH
on March 17, 2012
I bought this unit to replace a Sony ICF-C7iP clock radio that stopped charging my phone when it was docked. To my surprise when I got this radio & tried to dock my iPhone 4S to it, the same thing happened. My iPhone will not charge when docked to either clock radio. The funny thing is that the iPhone will play music through the iHome with no problems. I tried re-seating the phone with no luck. I tried cleaning the contacts with compressed air thinking that there maybe was lint preventing a clean connection. No dice. But when I plug my phone into a standard sync cable or a syncing dock, it will charge fine. I had also tried plugging the iHome into a different outlet with no luck either.

I believe the problem is with the latest iOS upgrade. I upgraded to 5.1 and I believe this is what's causing the problem. Very strange how an upgrade like that would stop something so basic such as charging from occurring. I think that if you have iOS 5, you're OK. So you can do a few things to prevent this from happening if you have yet to upgrade your iOS:

1. Keep your phone on iOS5. From what I understand, once you upgrade your OS on your iPhone, you can't revert it back. I tried doing a restore several times with no luck.
2. Wait for iHome to release a firmware upgrade for the latest iOS. I emailed their tech support asking for help and hope to hear back from them soon.
3. Wait for Apple to release a new upgrade to iOS which will hopefully fix the issue. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one as companies like Apple don't care about aftermarket companies' products (iHome, Belkin, etc.). If they're going to release an update, it's going to be to fix various bugs & to offer enhancements on the iPhone, not to fix incompatibility with aftermarket products.

Other than that, I like this clock radio very much. It was very easy & quick to set up and customizing the alarms is a very nice touch. I like the fact that you can adjust not only the snooze time (1-29 mins), but can adjust each alarm's volume. I also like the volume buttons and the tuner buttons...they are much easier to use than the stupid dials that the iH9 has. Plus it's very reasonably priced...can't beat that!

Overall, this is a nice unit. I am disappointed that my iPhone does not charge on the clock radio which is the primary reason I bought this. Once that gets fixed, this will be a perfect clock radio.

One last note. I also have an iHome iH9 clock radio which charges and plays the iPhone with iOS 5.1 no problems. So if you're in the same situation as me and are in the market for a new clock radio, you might want to look at this one first. Yes it's a bit more expensive (at least on Amazon) but it might be worth it since you most likely won't have any compatibility problems with it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2011
I havent had it for long but the sound quality is amazing. Being able to turn off the lights is fantastic. It is easy to set up the alarms and time. The apps that you get on the app store are also a neat addon. I havent tried the actual radio yet but the online one with the app works great. This product is worth the money and hopefully will last for a good while.
VINE VOICEon November 16, 2011
This is the second iPod docking radio alarm clock that I own and I gotta say this is a very good one. It has a nice compact design the doesn't intrude on your table (or, in my case, my head since it rests on my headboard). The sound quality is very good, more than I would have expected from an alarm radio. You can dim the brightness which is an absolute must for alarm clocks because I cannot sleep with a bright time display above my head. Additionally there are presets for alarm times that can be used for different days. The iPod/iPhone docks well and feels firm in place, which I prefer because I do not want to feel as though I can break the unit or the device if pressure is put the wrong way. All in all I would recommend for any looking for a docking station alarm clock for their iPod/iPhone.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been pleasantly surprised by this outstanding little alarm clock radio and iPod dock. First, and most notably, the sound quality is outstanding. It delivers a very nice and very full sound. I have a similar unit from Sony, and this one easily out-performs it. It rivals Bose sound quality. The second outstanding feature is that this makes a great bedside alarm radio. It has a great range of functions, like dual alarm, sleep, nap, etc. But it is all done in a thoughtful way. For instance, in addition to the time the radio displays today's date, or, when you have an alarm turned on, it displays which alarm is set, when it is set off to go, and what it will play. Which brings me to another nice feature, you can set your alarms to go off on each day of the week, each weekday, or only on weekends, you can set a particular input (and not only the input, but even which radio station you want if you select radio), and a particular volume. That means if you're listening to a baseball game in the evening on a low volume, you can still wake up the next morning to your usual morning show on a different station and at your desired volume. The display is nice and clear, and can easily dimmed by increments down to your preferred brightness for sleeping, including a nice barely-on setting if you like it real dark. It also has iPhone App integration available, and some other nice features (self-setting clock, daylight savings switch, fading sleep mode, aux input, and more). In all, the sound quality coupled with the functionality make this a great radio.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm actually very impressed with this ipod/iphone speaker dock alarm clock offering from iHome. The sound quality on this unit can get very loud (enough to fill an average sized living room) with no problems and with very little distortion. The unique design of the speakers seem to generate the treble and midtones through the front while there are two amplifier tubes in the back that seem to generate the bass. This design actually does create a pretty balanced sound that has highs and lows in Stereo. It comes with a small credit card sized remote that comes in handy if you're using this in a living room area as well. However, I'd like to point out that the remote has to be pointed at the front of the unit and at a fairly close distance... So the range of the remote needs improvement. Aesthetically, the speaker dock is very beautiful with it's dark piano black body and back-lit buttons and display. It has a futuristic appeal. Also, this is one of the few speaker alarm clock docks that you can use in conjunction with your iphone or ipod touch with it's free App from the company. The free app gives you access to other functions such as dimming the backlight on the unit to changing the wallpaper on the iphone/ipod. The catch is that you have to change the settings while it's connected to the dock. All in all, this speaker dock does a good job and has many extra features which make it stand out from the average ones on the market. For example, it has a line-in port so you can play music from other sources (like other mp3 players) through the speaker if you wish. It also has dock adapters so that you can dock pretty much all of the ipod mp3 players on the market. A few things that could be improved were speaker fidelity and remote control function/range. Although this speaker dock sounds very good, it may not be good enough for the true picky audiophiles out there. The range of the remote is pretty bad, as I stated earlier. I had problems from it as close as 5 feet away when I pointed it at the right side of the unit. Another possible downside is the cost. I personally think it is a little bit too expensive. Although I have to admit that most ipod speaker docks retail in the same price range and this one sounds better than almost all of the ones I've heard so far. For those audiophiles out there, the only one that sounds better than this speaker dock is the Sony ICFCS10iP iPod Alarm Speaker Dock. I wrote a review for that one too, so feel free to check it out.

Pros:
-Great sounding speakers and is loud enough to fill a large room.
-Free app for ipod touch and iphone includes more features
-Adjustable light/dimmer function plus Bass and Treble adjustments through the free App
-Great futuristic/minimalistic design with back-lit buttons
-line in port
-two separate alarm settings
-Compatible with most (if not all) iPod or iPhone devices & includes dock adapters
-iPhone can dock with speaker system without removal of bumper case.

Cons:
-Remote has very limited range
-Expensive
-Sound quality may not be enough to please audiophiles.
-The free app doesn't include internet radio... for that, you have to buy the pay version of the app.