Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

VINE VOICEon June 2, 2011
Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
iHome truly gets what an iPhone/iPod accessory should be.

First, let's be clear about what it's not: This is not a stand-alone clock radio. Without the iPhone/iPod attached, it's simply a clock with a buzzer alarm (buzzer sounds like the ubiquitous vehicle back-up alarm).

To use it effectively, you must have your iPhone/iPod attached and you need two apps loaded to your device: iHome+Sleep (a free app) and iHome+Radio ($2.99). Then, if you want to use it as a clock radio, you must have the iHome+Sleep app open. If any of these conditions aren't met, it reverts to being a clock with a buzzer alarm.

"Wow," you're probably thinking, "is it worth this hassle?" Yup, it truly is.

What you get is a stylish, compact, solidly-built unit that charges your device (meaning there's one less cord), provides excellent sound for your iPod songs, and allows you an abundance of wake-up and go-to-sleep options. With the provided adapters, it's also easy to slide your device on to the unit (set ups for multiple versions of iPhones/iPods).

Time display has a good variety of settings, so you can keep it bright or dim it down depending on your preferences. Next to the bed, even with my bad eye sight, I have no trouble reading it at night at the setting I've chosen, and it doesn't illuminate the whole room.

The iHome+Radio is an excellent app giving you access to a large number of categories and stations for streamed content (and I understand they're working to increase offerings all the time). It will replace my Tune-In radio app, as it has equal offerings and is a well-designed app.

The iHome+Sleep app then turns the whole set-up into a wonderful clock radio. If iHome+Sleep can be faulted for anything, it's the overkill on its design and capabilities (e.g., you're presented with a slider bar for telling it when you go to sleep and when you wake up and it will track your sleep history for you ["Let's see now...I'm about to fall asleep, I'd better reach over and touch my slider..."]).

What it does give you:
· Wake to iPod music, buzzer, or any station that streams through iHome+Radio.
· Set your alarm(s) for weekdays, weekends, or any combination of days you want.
· If you want, automatically view Facebook or Twitter feeds before going to sleep or when you wake up.
· Vary the 'fade-in' of the alarm (starts softly, then gradually fade-in to the volume you want).
· Control how bright the iHome+Sleep screen is on your iPhone (remember, it has to be open to use this device).
· Use it in reverse and play iPod/internet radio when going to sleep (sleep timer).

All-in-all, this is a GREAT device. I've quickly gotten used to procedures you must follow, and the options it gives you are wonderful.
55 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 26, 2011
This is a great alarm clock. As other users have mentioned, the sound quality is not super bass and super loud, but from a speaker this size (and an alarm clock) it has pretty good sound. My favorite feature of this device, is the size, it is pretty small (it looked humongous in the picture), which is good, because my night stand is small. The other nice feature is the dimming. I have always hated alarm clocks that light up the room, and in the past I have covered alarm clocks with towels to cut out the light, this alarm clock can go from bright, dim1, dim2, to no light all with an easy push of the snooze/dim button (I can turn if off at night and when I want to know the time hit the dimmer! It only has one alarm, but that is OK for me. It has back up battery, and unlike past clocks that just save the time (cut the display off), this one keeps the display running and operations in tact (which is real nice). However, the best feature that is not advertised that much, is the inclusion of Apple iPod/iPhone inserts, in the past my alarm clocks, have not included the insert, and my iPhone 4 did not come with one (I have been using an iPhone 3G insert with the iPhone 4, for the longest (which is not really snug on the iPhone 4). The unit comes with the following inserts: iPhone 4, iPhone 3G (and 3GS), iPod Touch 4G (also iPod Nano 6G), iPod Nano 5G, and iPod Touch 2G. My only flaw with the device, is it does not have next/previous track buttons, you have to use the iPhone/iPod controls to go through your music, which is not that bad, but it would be a nice feature. It supports the app that keeps track of sleep, and alarms. However, I have found this app, tries to keep the display lit on the iPhone when in use, which is more light (and not good for me).

To let you know (I used an iPhone 4), unless you have the iPod playing all sounds (type clicking) and app sounds (like YouTube) are disabled and cannot be heard while docked (YouTube, can be played if you start a YouTube video and hit play on the alarm clock). However, the phone will ring (and vibrate) and texts and emails will vibrate only (no sound). -- This might be picky, but I wanted to let you know.

In the end, the alarm clock, has nice features and an easy to use system, with an easy to read and understand display with the best dimmer options (no light!!!), and everything you need to plug and play, oh, and also, you do not have to set the clock, it connects to the iPhone/iPod and pulls the time from the device (which is great for iPhone, since the time is synced with the carrier!)
on November 2, 2011
I was looking forward to an alarm clock that would work well together with my iPod Touch 4th Gen. Based on the product description ("application-friendly") and on the other positive product reviews, I expected that I would be able to use iHome's own free "iHome+Sleep" app to set an alarm on my iPod, dock the iPod, and then use the buttons on the iHome iP21 to control the alarm. Unfortunately, as I discovered, the iHome+Sleep app isn't actually compatible with the iP21.

When an alarm is set via the iHome+Sleep app and the iPod is docked, when the alarm goes off, the alarm sounds through the iP21's speakers, but the Snooze button on the iP21 does *not* work to snooze the alarm; the alarm must be snoozed via the iPod's touch screen. The Snooze button on my alarm clock working is a must-have requirement for me.

When an alarm is set via the iP21 hardware itself, when the alarm goes off with the iPod docked, the iPod tries to play whatever audio it was last playing (regardless of any settings in the iHome+Sleep app). This worked okay if the last audio to be playing was music from the iPod's own Music app, but I found that sometimes if the last audio to be playing was through another 3rd-party app such as Pandora or TuneIn Radio, the iPod sometimes wouldn't make any sound at all (despite the volume not being muted). My alarm clock's alarm being audible while the alarm is going off 100% of the time is also a must-have requirement for me.

I contacted iHome technical support via email and explained the problems I was having, as described above. The reply I received was "Sorry model iP21 is not apps enhanced, our sleep apps do not work with the iP21."

Therefore, the iP21 wasn't useful for me as an alarm clock, but only as an iPod speaker. Since an alarm clock was what I needed, I returned it.
33 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 25, 2011
I must confess I've been using the same alarm clock for over twenty years. It's a Nakamichi and when I bought it I was ridiculed for spending so much on an alarm clock. Jump forward a few decades and now the expectations for bedside clocks have apparently risen dramatically.

I decided to give this clock a try. I installed the app on my iPod touch and have been tracking my sleep habits. I managed to resist the temptation to over-share by having the app automatically post my sleeping habits on my Facebook page. Too much information, in my opinion.

Anyway, the nitty gritty of this alarm is this...

Pros:
- cool, high tech gadget
- small footprint
- easy to use
- very customizable when using the iPod/iPhone app
- ability to set the time using the iPod (very cool)

Cons:
- tinny sound quality, even with the extra bass boost in effect
- the stand-alone alarm doesn't even have a radio, so unless you've got your ipod connected you're going to be waking up to a simple alarm
- the display doesn't dim enough for my taste

The company sells larger units which hopefully sound better. For now, I think I'll stick to my trusty old alarm but if you want to wake up in the digital age, this could be worth a look.
on March 7, 2013
I generally do not write product reviews, but a reliable alarm clock is an unfortunate necessity. iHome recently updated their sleep app and it will now only trigger the audible alarm if the app is open. However, notifications received throughout the night can cause the app to close. Therefore, the only way to ensure the alarm goes off is to turn on Do Not Disturb, dock the phone and open the app. Far to many steps for this to be considered a reliable alarm.

Prior to the app update I was very happy with this product as it reliably produced an audible alarm loud enough to wake me from a deep sleep and reduced a charging cable on my bedside table. I would sometimes sleep through the normal iPhone alarm.
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2011
Let me get out of the way that the sound quality is not the best I've ever heard, but that's not what I expect from a clock. Especially one with no built-in radio function. I have an older iHome under-cabinet unit in my kitchen that sounds much better, but the quality is acceptable for this unit's purpose.

What do I love? It charges your iPod, looks nice, has a small footprint on my night stand and is easy to use. It has a gradual wake and a wonderful dimmable display. So nice not to have glaring numbers in your face all night but still be able to check the time.

I got the app and had it set up with my iPod Touch in just a few minutes. I've used the alarm with and without the iPod and it was simple and effective both ways. I also love the time synch with the iPod. Plug your pod in and push a button - the time is set!

There are a ton of features available through the apps (iHome+radio and iHome+sleep). You can make as much or as little use of them as you like, but they're quite nice. Take a look at those apps to see what this unit can really do for you.

Overall, a quality product that does what it should and makes great use of the iPod.
on February 27, 2012
This is an average clock radio. SMALL buttons. WILL NOT allow for any kind of protective case on your iPhone. If you need one that will handle at most an Otter Box try the Phillips DS1110.
on March 25, 2012
I bought this because I needed an iPhone charging, app using alarm clock, and I have/had other iHome products that I have found useful and good over the years.

This alarm clock can set the time through a sync button so if the iPhone is cradled and the sync button is pressed, the clock will update its set time from the phone's cell time. The clock mechanism isn't that accurate (loses about a minute a week) but the sync feature is easy to use and so that's not a really big issue. The volume level for this machine is lower (the top volume level 40 is significantly lower) than other iHome clocks I have and its not stereo so you won't really get much in the way of high fidelity/high volume stereo music, but it is loud enough to function as an alarm clock. I have several apps for sleep functions, and the setup with the clock and the iPhone work really well. It comes with two apps that are free to run alarms and sounds, and you can get a radio app (use costs money), but the clock will utilize any app that sends sound out via the dock connector (I should caveat that to say all the sound producing apps I have that I tried), so you can just use the Apple Clock app for alarms if you are used to it and it works fine. It also has a slow-volume-up feature so that when you start it out playing it slowly (4-5 seconds) ramps up to your maximum set volume.

As for why I dinged it one star, the mount for the iPhone is angled, and the cradle area has no support for the phone. They do supply different cradle mounts for iPods and iPhones, but the iPhone mount will not accept phones with covers, so its pretty much worthless if you have a tight integral cover like I do. If you are careful with it it won't be damaged, but I can imagine the cat, child or groggy bump knocking the phone out of the cradle and breaking the pins off.

This clock really does everything I need, and so far I have had no problems with it. I would purchase this specific product again, and I have/had several iHome products previously and I have always been happy with them.
The iP21 is an alarm clock and a universal dock charger and player for iphones and iPods. It's certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards and comes with a 1-year warranty. The unit uses a button cell backup battery to produce continuous operation in case of a power failure. The alarm clock is easy to set and read. I particularly liked the display dimmer options. The 'Time Sync' synchronizes the clock with a device. The clock can be set by the iPhone/iPod connection to allow waking or sleeping to music or alone by pressing the units Alarm, Nap, Sleep and Snooze buttons. The sleep to music option has an auto shut-off. The unit comes with dock inserts for a number of iPhones, iPods, and a iPod Nano and an iPod Touch. The sound quality is pretty good for the speaker size. There's also a line-in jack that plays CDs, MP3s and other audio players.
on December 28, 2013
Glad I went with this one. Can't beat the price compared to some of the other products like this on the market. My son is always misplacing his charger, so I got him this and hopefully he won't lose this one. He is happy and has used it everyday since he got it, so as long as he is happy then it's all good.