5.0 out of 5 stars Like the best of us: Very Good but Imperfect!
Published 12 months ago by D. Reinstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an alarm clock to charge my iPhone 5!
*UPDATED 8.11.13: Holy cow this thing is BRIGHT! I was hoping the light would not be so darn bright but even on the lowest setting, it illuminates my entire room. I can turn the light off, but that negates having a clock next to my bed to glance at. So buy with that warning. I love everything else about this alarm/ radio.

The only drawback to my current alarm...
Published 12 months ago by M. Hertzler

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the best of us: Very Good but Imperfect!, July 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this stereo alarm clock, iPhone charger a LOT. It does good service as an alarm clock that allows for using FM radio broadcasts or music from your own iDevice to wake up to. It charges your device whenever it is on the dock, so if you use it with an iPhone5, as I do, you get to wake up to the music you want as well as to a fully charged iPhone to start your day! With a footprint of 5" square, it fits easily on most limited-space surfaces ... Like the end table next to your bed or on an already busy and crowded desk at the office. The clock automatically syncs with your device so is always accurate. Other design features worth mentioning include 1) a USB port to connect other devices (including older iDevices using the 30-pin adapters and any other product that can be connected with a USB plug; 2) a full range of sleep/wake/snooze settings; and a built-in back-up L-Ion battery to continue to provide time and wake-up service when there is an interruption in AC power. It is simple black with brushed metal accents and will fit easily into any imaginable decor.

The Sound:
I was surprised to hear the good quality sound from this rather small device. It will not provide full-range concert volume stereo - nor should it be expected to. In an office or small guest room, in the kitchen or a contained dining area, it is entirely adequate. Moreover, when used as intended (as an alarm clock) at bedside, it provides better sound quality than any "clock radio" I have even encountered. I had been using a much larger Bluetooth speaker with my iPhone that was OK, but lacked stereo and while louder that this iHome iPL10. provides less sound quality.

The Most Common Complaint:
The most common complaints about this iPL10 moan on and on about the fact that an iPhone in a case will not fit on the Lightning plug. Of course not - No devices, that I know of, will! People have complained that it is a nuisance to remove their protective cases in order to use this device. My solution: Get a dockable case! My personal favorite is the Candy Shell Slip Dockable Case by SPECK. Problem is solved for this and all other Lightning docking devices. (The SPECK case currently retails here on Amazon for under $26. Check it out!)

One Annoying Design Oversight:
There are no designated "Hour" or "Minute" buttons, so any change in setting must be accomplished by holding down "+" and "-" buttons as the minutes roll on in either direction. Although it only takes a couple of minutes to more the alarm setting 23 hours, it is annoying and point to a design oversight that would have made this device even better than it already is. If I could have taken off a half-a-star for this, I would have done so. Left with the choice of a 4 or a 5, I decided to leave the 5 for the overall design and function. After all, if "5" really meant "perfect", few (if any) products would ever receive it!

All-in-all:
This is a well designed, functional and welcome device that while built for iDevices with Lightning connectors, can and does accommodate ANY other device connectable via a USB port. Give it a try - Give it a listen. Amazon is great about returns if you do not like it, but I think you will - especially once you procure an appropriate (and ubiquitously necessary) "dockable" case.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm HAPPY!, May 29, 2013
This review is from: iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock (Electronics)
I'm not sure what kind of cover the other reviewers are using saying that it doesn't work with the cover on, but mine fits on the charger quite well with the cover on. I like the size, shape and sound from the iHome PL10. I have waited quite a while to get a base clock/radio for my iPhone 5 that doesn't shut off all the notification sounds that the others (Sony) did while the phone was mounted on the base. That was a problem for me, and I'm sure others, that don't have a home phone and would like to hear it ring while it's charging.

3.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an alarm clock to charge my iPhone 5!, June 29, 2013
M. Hertzler (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The only drawback to my current alarm clock is that it stopped being relevant when I upgraded to an iPhone 5. I have been waiting for someone to release something that I can charge my phone overnight, play my podcasts to wake and still have it next to me in the morning. This fit the bill.

I am pleased with the small size, as it doesn't take up a lot of space on my nightstand. The buttons are easily found in a sleepy wake-up daze, especially the snooze which is just the long bar in the front.

So here is what you need to know:

*The Lightning Pin is in the top where the phone sits, but there is a USB plug in the back to charge your other devices (iPad, other iPhones, and iPods) but you will need to supply the cord.

*You can choose to wake up to iPod/ iPhone, FM Radio or Alarm buzzer.

*There is a "gradual sleep" and "gradual wake up" choice that increases or decreases the volume slowly, which is a great option for those who don't like being jarred awake but need to volume to fully wake up.

*There are 6 preset options for the FM stations. ALL of the buttons are on the top, so there is no fiddling with the sides and back to set times or adjust volumes.

*The speakers are ok. Mine sit below the mattress line, so I find that they don't project in my room as much as I'd like. What that said, the sound seems to come from all 3 sides, which really fills the space. If it was on a dresser or a higher night stand, it would create a better sound.

*Time sync button allows you to automatically set the time to your phone which makes it super easy.

The worst part is that this doesn't work with my current phone cover. it isn't all that thick, so I worry about which one it would work with. It would have to have an open bottom so that it seats very close to the Lightning Pin. Also, as mentioned before, there is no AM dial, so make note if that is important to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this clock radio., November 12, 2013
This review is from: iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock (Electronics)
I read most of the reviews before I purchased. Here's what I discovered when I took it out of the box.

Ease of setup, 10.

Clock, 10. (Automatically syncs when you put the iPod on dock.)

Sound, 10. (It's a clock radio. Don't expect the sound you'd get out of a Bose.)

Radio, 10. (Though I doubt I'll use it with the new iTunes radio on the iPod.)

Lighted time panel, 10. (It dims when I hit the snooze bar so I don't know why people were complaining. I can sleep in dark or reach over and turn it up to use as a night light. WooHoo)

Design, 10+. (Simple black box. Picky Factor: I wish I could read buttons without squinting.)

Alarm, 8. (Wishing it would ring a bit louder. I might actually have to read the manual. LOL)

Docking, 10. (I own the original iHome clock radio. I really like the lightning dock.)

Charging, 10. (It charged my iPod, so again, I don't know why it didn't charge the other customers devices.)

Device Footprint: 10+. (How can you beat a 5" footprint. The old radio took up twice as much space.)

Bonus: USB port (To connect older devices or new iPhones/iPods with cases.)

I think that's it. If I find other features I like, or not, I'll amend my comments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Virginia, you can turn off the backlight!, August 16, 2013
This review is from: iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock (Electronics)
The other reviews cover the features very well, so I just want to chime in and tell photo-phobes like me that YES, you CAN turn off the backlight on this device. That means, unlike most of the LED iPhone/iPod clocks from other manufacturers, you can use this device and sleep in complete darkness. I am sometimes very photo-sensitive, so this is a KEY feature. (If you're less sensitive, there are 3 levels of backlight besides "off" from "bright" to "barely there".)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Alarm Clock!, August 4, 2013
Kate CR (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock (Electronics)
When buying this, I kept reading reviews where people complained about not being able to use this with a case. This is really funny because the cases these people are talking about are those huge everything-proof cases. If you have a 'normal' case, this works well. If you have a huge case, typically not made by Apple, and big enough to defeat the whole purpose of having a small phone, it won't fit. Logically, if it fit the big cases, the alarm clock would be huge and thus defeat the purpose of selling a small-footprint clock. So, those of you still upset about the big case not fitting and refuse to use the USB option, buy something else.

For those more logical folks, this thing is great! I can have both my phone and my husband's phone charging at the same time...one on USB and the other on the dock. The biggest complaint I have about alarm clocks made in the last 5 years is that they are bright enough to land a plane. If i wanted a nightlight, i would buy a nightlight, right?! This one has a dimmer. You can have enough light to view it at night if you wake up but not so much that it reflects across the whole room--High, medium, and low. Nice! Plus, if you are a real insomniac, you can turn off the glow altogether! I know this seems like a silly feature to be so excited about, but it was a really hard thing to find. Even other models that say they dim, don't dim enough. Nothing was comparable to my 1989 clock....until now!

Another great feature is that all of your phone alerts are piped through the speakers. Other docs completely mute your phone; whereas this honors the settings on your phone including any do not disturb. The + / - buttons are fine and can move fast if you hold them down...those of you complaining that this is a negative are being silly. The coolest part was that I plugged in my iphone and the clock sync'd to it without any button pressing! Yeah!

Bottom line: this is a simple, easy-to-use clock that integrates nicely into your room replacing chargers and older clocks without overtaking your life with light, noise, or bulk. A Good buy!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Wish I could use it., October 1, 2013
MV (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock (Electronics)
I love this alarm clock. I wish I could use it. Alas, I can't. The iPhone 5S with a standard Apple leather case will not fit onto this poorly-designed dock. I've had iHome products in the past and they've all been well designed. I'm pretty shocked that they screwed this up so badly.

EDIT: I've found that open-bottom cases -- the kind where the whole speaker grill on the bottom of the iPhone is exposed -- will allow an iPhone 5/5s to fit in the iHome lightning dock. Unfortunately, that doesn't include the Apple leather case, nor most any bumper-style case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little docking station / clock radio, June 25, 2013
This review is from: iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock (Electronics)
I purchased this clock-radio docking station for my iPad mini. I was excited to find an ihome with a lightning adapter. I knew in advance that it would not connect to the ipad mini directly so I purchased a lightning extender cable. So far I am happy.

Pros:
Connects and charges to two apple products at the same time (for me iphone 4 by USB cable and iPad mini by lightning extender)
Bright clock that dims for sleeping
Decent sound for a clock radio

Cons:
beeps (quietly) when turning off the alarm. Sometimes I wake up before my spouse and want to turn off the alarm. She knows this with the beep.
No AM radio
no remote control
slight buzz when charging both apple products at the same time. Doesn't bother me though. Seems to go away after a bit.

All in all, I am very happy. Do keep in mind that you cannot directly connect the ipad mini. You need an extender cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system, July 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband and I bought a previous iHome clock radio/charger a few years ago that turned out to be less than stellar. It was annoying to use and set, required the app, and only worked about half the time. So I was skeptical about this model but decided to give it a shot, hoping that they'd learned and improved in the years since. They did.

First things first: about the issue of cased phones not fitting. I don't use a case; my husband's case has an external battery, which he connects to the USB port to charge. I wouldn't say the complaints in this area are not justified -- it might be a deal-breaker for some. But on an otherwise great little clock radio/charger, the one-star reviews are very short-sighted.

This is a great little system. What I liked most about it was its ease of use without the app (which has loads of features, don't get me wrong). The alarm is easy to set, albeit a bit tedious (it has a +/- for time and doesn't accelerate). You can set different volumes for listening, sleep, and alarm modes. The snooze button is nice and big, which also functions as a dimmer. The display has three different levels of brightness and an off-mode. I often have problems with overly bright clock displays, but the dimmest setting on this one is perfect.

It has two ports for charging: the main lightning dock and a USB port to use with a charging cable. Perfect for charging two devices overnight. My husband worries about the lighting charge port. It is a bit flimsy and the phone isn't braced very well. It does pivot slightly to compensate, but is that enough? If it gets hit by something, it very well could break, so it's not for any high-impact areas.

The only real sticking point, at least for my husband, was the price. He feels it is $25 too high because it's essentially just a radio and a charging station. Given how well it works, the price isn't much of a sticking point for me. It's about what we paid for the earlier model, which didn't work half as well as this one.

I'd urge anyone in the market for a charging radio with a lightning dock to take a look at this model. It works like a charm. I'm very glad I took a chance on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars iBasic Overpriced Alarm, July 14, 2013
E. J Tastad "ejt" (Marion, IA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This alarm clock has the functionality of a a very basic alarm clock with the price of a well featured one.

My complaint list begins with the fact it has only 1 alarm with no weekend cancel. This means you need to remember to turn it off so you don't get woken up early on the weekend, and if it wasn't so slow at setting the alarm (takes about 3 minutes to go around the clock holding the + or - button down) I might not think so negatively on this point.

When using the USB for my iPhone 4s I have to reset the volume every time I connect it to the alarm, or it leaves it set right in the middle and is much too loud to fall asleep too. This is not the case with the lightning connector, it remembers the volume for my 5s.

The alarm only has an FM (no AM) radio, this is no problem for me, but you need to be aware of it. If you set an alarm through your 5s it goes through the phone, nothing comes out the radio.

The two cases I have tried on the 5s (Belkin Lego and Speck) won't dock with their cases on.

So bottom line is I would keep looking for an alarm clock or just go buy one of those really cheap single alarm buzzers. It isn't that this one is bad, it is just really expensive for the functionality offered.

iHome iPL10 Clock Radio with Lightning Dock