Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: iLive 2.1-Channel Speaker Bar with iPod Dock (Black)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on April 24, 2009
I bought this against my better judgement after reading a few reviews that this product works really well for a short period of time but then just stops working. That is exactly what happened to us. I even looked at it and played with it at Target before purchasing online and it seemed decent enough for the price. My 14 year old daughter begged me for it. The first one I bought lasted 3 weeks, I exchanged it for another and that one stopped after 1 week. Do not buy!
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2009
I bought one to assist the TV sound system. I am deaf in one ear and sometimes need the TV louder than others like.

Unit looks nice. It's heavier than I thought it would be, 10-12 pounds. Setting it up was pretty easy in spite of the poorly written owners' manual. You must supply your own RCA cable to connect TV.

Complaints. The least bothersome was the constant white noise hum in the background no matter what source was chosen. Sources Are iPod, AM radio, FM radio, AV1 and AV2. The most bothersome thing was the remote. To choose a source, you had to sequence through the list in only one direction. But the worst part was that to use the remote you had to be nearly directly in front of the IR sensor, at the same level and no more than 8 feet away. I got it to work once at 8 feet. Other times I held the remote less that six inches from the sensor and it still didn't work. Yes I replaced the cheapo batteries that came with it. I had placed the unit on a shelf above the TV and sometimes was able to get the remote to work by stretching my arm as high as I could reach to be level with the sensor. Still didn't work. There is a totally unobstructed view between the remote and the sensor. I even tilted the unit down a bit so I would be closer to a direct shot at the sensor.

After all this, I called tech support. He said he thought the sensor must be bad so he said I should return the unit and exchange it for a new one. I did exchange the unit, took the second one home, hooked it up and had exactly the same problems as I did with the first one. You guessed it. I took the second back for a cash refund. Don't waste your time or money on this. As you can see, I tried two of them and two failed
on August 22, 2008
I LOVE my new iLIVE bar speaker! I don't own an iPod. I bought this specifically for my HDTV to enhance the audio experience. Hooking up is basically plugging in a RCA Audio Cable (not included - two color coded connectors: red and white) to the back of the speaker audio outputs and plug the other end of the cable into the audio inputs of your TV. How easy is that? Fabulous sound! I really like having full, rich sound (40 watt power with built in subwoofer) without having to find a spot for multiple speakers if I had bought a surround system. I'm not so thrilled with the remote, but there are Function, Volume, and Tuning adjustments on the side of the unit. There is also an aux line-in so that you can plug in your non-iPOD MP3 player. I plugged in my Sansa to check out how the bass sounds playing Marilyn Manson. Nice. For the cost of this unit, it's very versatile. TV, iPOD, MP3 player, AM/FM radio, what else do you want for under $100? Don't pass this up.
on February 15, 2009
Got it around Christmas time..08
Today is Feb. 15 warranty ends March 7 just in time.
Won't power on.
Had to Unplug it as it is so hot afraid it will cause a fire.
Too bad I liked it when it was working ( except for the remote )
take away the one star - had to tic something to continue the review
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2008
I bought this iLive speaker for my iPod because I needed to downsize from my old big-stereo/receiver/CD-player/with two speakers setup. It's a decent price for what you get, but I'm not overly impressed by any means.

The speaker itself is decent for the size of the speakers themselves. I wasn't expecting much, but the sound is adequate. It works best as background music for the party. It's not loud enough to really blast it/ bump it/ rock out to it. A little tinny/ treble-y but given the size, I sort of expected that. I can't really hear a subwoofer - if they didn't tell me it was in there, I wouldn't believe them.

However, my main issue is with the remote. It does work, but not very well. The remote is definitely not laid out well at all. In the area where you would think the Volume Up/Down button should be, is actually the Bass Up/Down. So my natural reflex leads me to adjust the Bass instead of the Volume - lovely. The Volume button itself is hidden in the middle, which is very annoying.

Also, just as annoying, the Skip-Song/Forward button doesn't seem to work all the time. It definitely doesn't work as well as the other buttons for some reason.

Another extremely annoying thing is that there's no Page Up/Page Down for Artists. It is brutal if you're in the A's and you want to be in the T's and you have a lot of Artists on your iPod. Your fingers will ache since it takes forever going up/down with the remote. In fact, I got so tired of pushing down, down, down that I just got up and did it with the iPod's wheel itself.

Overall, the speaker itself is alright, not bad but not good. The remote is awful and drives me crazy just thinking about it. I probably wouldn't buy it again.

**Edit/Update (Jan 2010) I received a Logitech Harmony universal remote for Christmas and it works very well with the iLive speaker. I am glad to have solved the horrible remote problem.**

**Edit/Update #2 (July 2010) The unit has died completely. Only two years of not-heavy use and it's dead. Not good. Definitely not recommended.
on December 3, 2013
item is as pictured. i bought my speaker bar at a resale shop a while ago, but it didn't have the remote. this remote works great, just popped in 2AAA batteries and it was ready to go. the remote also had control features i was unaware the ilive bar even had like adjusting the bass and treble.
on June 23, 2009
I LOVE my new iLIVE bar speaker! I have an IPOD as well as an iphone 3G and I got this from BJs just to see if it will work with my iphone 3G. To my surprise it not only played the songs on my iphone but also charged my iphone 3G (though it gives the message at the begining that do you want to turn on Airplane mode..Just say no to it and proceed). Even the remote is able to control the music for the iphone..So all in all I am just loving this piece of gadget..Its been more than 2 months and I am enjoying every piece of this..I have all my inputs connected to my SONY 40 inch LCD TV and the sound output from my SONY TV to the iLIVE and its just amazing..I also connect my laptop using the aux port and that also sounds amazing..All in all a very good deal for $76..If you still have doubts you can buy it from BJs which sells this for about $80 so in case anything happens you can always go an return it..Don't pass this up.
on March 19, 2010
Had this soundbar for about 10 months...was working great at first, decent sound, nice features, everything fine....then one day after 10 months the power on it went out and it's now just a large paperweight. Save your money and invest in a better soundbar!not
on July 16, 2010
I use this unit on my office 37" LCD TV and it's great. I don't care about the radio or ipod connections. As a soundbar it's a bargain!
on January 25, 2010
I bought this item in April of 09 and it was working fine for 9 months, then it stopped working altogether. The sound quality was o.k. for an item of this price, the remote was difficult to use with an I-Pod. The warranty is for only 3 months and now it looks like I'm stuck with it. I had just used it the previous week, watching all the football games, and when I went to turn it on this weekend; nothing. Don't know what happened and now when you hit the volume "up" button, it turns off the unit. It seems as if it's a simple matter to fix, but I'm not going to bother sending it back and paying the shipping charges, considering the price I paid ($79). Spend an extra $50 and get a Vizio sound bar.