4.0 out of 5 stars Slim, with a couple of minor issues
Published on April 11, 2012 by G. Habermann

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems very nice, but very poor design
Published on April 28, 2012 by Maria

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim, with a couple of minor issues, April 11, 2012
Having come from a 1st Gen iPad with an awesome Apple Official iPad case, I fully expected to get an Apple case for my new iPad (3rd Gen). I was fairly dismayed to learn that instead up updating the case I'd been using they now are pushing their iPad Smart Covers. They're cool cause they use magnets to attach to the side but useless as they leave the entire back of you expensive toy uncovered. You know, 1/2 a case for all the price. Genius!

Digging aroung a bit I came across this iLuv case. I met a bunch of the iLuv crew at the 2012 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) and they were all great people with some nice looking cases. I mostly wanted something slim and not bulky that would cover the front and back of the device and this fits the bill quite well. It's even slimmer than my old case and feels overall like it's pretty sturdy (not *as* sturdy as my old case mind you, but time will tell). The front of this case has 3 places it can bend (not sure why just not 2 but whatever) and is a thin but protective polyurethane while the back is a thin but very solid plastic hardshell. This hardshell clips on the 4 corners of your iPad and the ease at which it does so made me a bit nervous that it might fall out but it seems very secure and after tugging on it for a bit over my mattress, I'm feeling good about the clips now. The back has a built in clip that holds the flipped-back front for an angled viewing level. This is something my old case did nicely and while it looks striking, the back of this case actually sits level on a table and holds the iPad quite nicely.

On the downside this case feels a bit cheap in the joint (where the front meets the back) and if there is a failing, it will likely be there I'm guessing. Not too big of a deal for me personally but if you hold your iPad by just the front cover and like to swing it back and forth.. this might be an issue in a year or so. The other thing that I'm not 100% on is having this propped up in portrait mode. I actually like to prop my iPad up vertically when dealing with things like recipes in the kitchen and such and while this case does it, the front that folds twice is not as sturdy as my old front that just had one joint. It works, just not with the stability I'm used to. Add to it that the front is thinner as well and I'm left wondering if it will keep working as it does out of the box. I'll update this review as time moves on. I love my new iLuv case and I hope it serves me and my new iPad well!

Pros:
Very Thin
Covers front and back
Adds no noticeable weight or bulk
Lies flat
Holds an angle easily for landscape viewing
Case allows full access to all buttons, cameras, & speakers

Cons:
Potential Joint Weakness (feels cheap)
Propping up iPad in Portrait mode (works, but not as sturdy as I'd like)

I'm uploading some pictures here too. I hope they help you get a better understanding of the iLuv Epicarp iPad Case!

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems very nice, but very poor design, April 28, 2012
I bought the i-luv iPad case few days ago attracted by the cool and attracting appearance. I found a very poor design: the magnets do not stick very well to the iPad and I always feel like the case will soon open up. The folding joint is very soft and weak, so it will soon break up and feels very unconfortable. It would be an ok case if it costed 10$, definitely not worth the money it actually costs. Needless to say that I tried to return it but the inmotion shop whereI bought at the Atlanta airport didn't let me return because there was nothing wrong with the case..sure, no damage, just a very poor design. Don't buy it..

2.0 out of 5 stars Great fit but... Sleep/wake feature isn't working, April 27, 2012
Got my case earlier today. It's a very easy and good fit around my new iPad. (iPad 3). I'd rate the quality of material and fit good 4.75 stars out of 5. Then why did I gave it 3 stars?... The auto sleep/wake feature absolutely isn't working. It seems either the magnet is totally misaligned inside the cover or just isn't there.

I've contacted iluv tech support so will see what their response is. I love the lightweight and thin profile of this case and was the reason I bought it so can technically live without the sleep/wake feature. But, the why should I compromise... Is what I think. Hope a replacement piece can fix things. Another reviewer had issues with the feature intermittently working but in y case it's just not worked wen once. Tried wiggling the cover short of ripping it and no love from the magnetic on-off. :(

Edited: 5/3/12

I'm changing my rating of this case down to two stars from three. The only thing keeping this from going to 1 star is the fact that it is truly the slimmest "near full" protection case I've yet seen/used for the iPad 2/3.

Now for the reasons I'm downgrading it and also returning it. After having used the case for a good day involving having to prop it up for typing to video viewing while having my staple Chipotle lunch and attempting to keep it propped up, I was thoroughly disappointed.

Folding the flap to prop it up for typing angle works without fuss. The vertical prop or "video view" what I call it is another story all together. The 'base' that forms after folding and inserting the flap in the back wedge, on which the device will have to sit while propped up, stays too unstable. You have to constantly keep "pushing" the iPad into the flat table it's trying to sit on or it begins to lean back due to natural laws of gravity and eventually fall. I'm not being picky here but just imagine you're having to constantly keep an eye on this while conducting a presentation and even the lightest tap towards the top of the screen will cause it to topple over.

The final blow came when I installed the STM skinny 3 on it yesterday which I had purchased last Friday itself from Amazon knowing the inevitable is around the corner with the I-luv case. The STM case kept the device absolutely stable even while being vertically propped up in bed. The rock solid stability is even better than the Kensington slim cases was using briefly that came off my iPad 2.

One final gripe... Both the front and back of the case are very smooth and that also let to me unconsciously "clutching" on to the iPad with more caution while walking around.

Please note you may not find this last issue of much concern unless you're a "power user" like myself who is constantly using this device on the go in and out of my vehicle and talking notes/writing contracts while meeting with clients in Starbucks etc.

Bye bye I-luv

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice cover, March 31, 2012
This cover is exactly what I was looking for: very thin, very light and unobtrusive but will protect against scratches, etc (probably not much protection against dropping but I don't expect to do that). Corner clips appear to hold the device in the cover pretty securely. All controls/switches remain very accessible. And VERY quick shipping, got here almost before the email telling me it was on its way! My only concern is with the potential longevity of the screen cover, as the hinged sections appear a little thin and might wear out with continued use. But I've only had it one day so can't comment based on experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 5, 2014
Damaris B. de Solanilla (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
A++

4.0 out of 5 stars For reading from my iPad, May 31, 2014
It works for me, but is a bit too unsteady, when in the reading position. Hope something more sturdy will soon be on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 5, 2014
Carol Shibuya (Palos Verdes Est., CA) - See all my reviews
This is my second iLuv Epicarp. So durable & practical. Would buy it again when this wears out. Love the color, matches my stylus.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I tough...., December 6, 2013
Slips very easily, low quality plastics that really makes you thinks it's an scratch protector that won't guarantee your ipad will survive a slip from your hands like the INCASE I used to have, which is on it's way.

Buy it if you are very careful with your ipad, otherwise, think about it or let someone to show you one at your local ipad gear store,

5.0 out of 5 stars Light weight, sturdy, and flexible, December 6, 2013
This review is from: iLuv Epicarp Slim Folio Cover for Apple iPad 4, iPad 3rd Generation and iPad 2 (iCC845GRY) (Personal Computers)
I like this case because it's very light weight and not bulky at all. It's slim fit, but has a full back on it for the iPad, so it doesn't constantly pop off like the Apple version of the iPad slim case. The back is hard plastic, but the front is flexible plastic with two folds for various height settings. I would recommend this case for anyone who wants a simple, slim, light weight case with flexibility to stand multiple ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, November 19, 2013
A. K. Besal (Virginia Beach) - See all my reviews
It is great protection and is very useful as a stand or tilt. It has made my iPad more enjoyable to use. I love it.