5.0 out of 5 stars Works great...
The actual delivery date said was 25 business days but received with in 10 days.
Used the latest update from geek buying blog and now the device supports soft power off.

1. The device is able to play 1080p high def full profile videos with out any lag.
Published 19 months ago by unknown

1.0 out of 5 stars The MX1 Is The Best Of The MiniPCs
Published 20 months ago by Dayton56

1.0 out of 5 stars The MX1 Is The Best Of The MiniPCs, November 26, 2012
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
Revised 01/15/2013: The original unit functioned well until the usb portion of the board came unseated due to poor soldering or lack of soldering and was returned. The replacement unit was unable to generate any HDMI output at all and has been returned for a refund. I really liked the product, unfortunately the iMito quality control is horrible, so I can not recommend the product. I believe Geekbuying is doing it's best to resolve problems, but until QA improves at the factory level it appears to me this is a losing battle. I will revisit the mini pc in a few months, but for now I'm out of the mini pc market as it seems all brands suffer these QA issues.

---My Original Review Below---

At the time of order the iMito MX1 is the best Android MiniPC available according the FreakTab and the ArmTvTech technical forums. I've put it through my own testing since I received the device 10 days ago and the MX1 did not disappoint.

The Wifi connection just worked. It played 1080p with out any video/audio sync problems. And Installing Apps from the Google Play store was an easy trouble free experience. No upgrade or custom ROMs needed to be installed.

I've connected a 7 port hub to the unit, a usb RJ45 wired Ethernet Dongle, a usb sound card, a 1tb hard drive, a variety of fat32/NTFS formatted thumb drives and several different keyboard/mouse combinations. This all worked in a plug and play manner with no special actions on my part.

The only minor issue I had was inserting a 32gb SD card. It needs to be pressed fairly hard to engage the spring latch to lock the card in place and to remove the memory card. I have to use a piece of plastic to make this happen as my large fingers are not well suited for the microSD card form factor.

I researched dual core Android MiniPCs for a good sixty days before deciding to buy the MX1 and I believe I got it right. The other products in its class all would have required an upgrade by flashing the ROM to do the things this device can do out of the box with the stock ROM.

I did Root the MX1, which was pretty easy. It would have been nice if the MX1 had been Rooted in advance, but other than that I have no suggested improvements for iMito. I do suggest Rooting the MX as a few Play Store Apps will only work on a Rooted device. Check out ArmTvTech and YouTube for Rooting instructions.

As for the seller, GeekBuying, they got the MX1 from China to my door in 2.5 days and were a pleasure to deal with after I received the device. I'd definitely buy from them again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mini iMito MX1, December 25, 2012
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
I bought the Mini iMito MX1 and a competitive product, the MK808 at roughly the same time. I've had both units roughly a week to compare. The units are comparable in almost all aspects, and both units worked flawlessly out of the box. However, the Mini iMito MX1 wireless networking started acting very flaky on its second usage. On its third usage the wireless was pretty much useless, even though the wireless router is just three feet away. Fortunately I have a compatible USB NIC for a direct connection to the router. The direct Ethernet connection works great. I'm giving this unit a low rating however because the wireless networking was the primary function that I needed. Also, when a major function such as wireless networking capability fails so quickly, I can't really trust that the rest of the circuitry is reliable. On the same network, and with 10 times more usage, the MK808 functions flawlessly. Again, I've only had these two units roughly a week, so this shouldn't be considered a comprehensive review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great..., December 9, 2012
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)

2. The built in file browser can be used to see the connected drives, shared folders in the connected network. no extra software is needed.
3. No drop in wifi. I was streaming videos in youtube didnt see any lag. [didnt do any speed test since i was able to stream hd videos]
4. Since my tv is having a usb port i am using that as power source for the device no cables are running.
5. detects by 1TB, 500GB drives and didnt slow up the device
6. Detects my wireless mouse keyboard, bluetooth keyboard

To sum up i am fully satisfied with the device and recommends it if someone wants to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Avoid standard usb connector and wi-fi and everything will be alright, January 11, 2013
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
Updated: everything works well. It's a keeper.

Got the MX1 after about a week direct from China, two weeks earlier than the earliest arrival date.

Out of the box, the MX1 had trouble downloading any app via wifi. After a good night sleep, I did some simple trouble shooting and found out that it was the standard USB connector. Even if you connect a simple USB mouse to it, the wifi receive power drops by as much as 10 dB. (3 dB is half power.) I may have one or two crashes that may be caused by this too. Now everything seems to be working fine.

It may be power drain. The standard USB connector has to supply certain power as minimal. It may be the grounding design. Use the mini USB connector if you can. There is a USB to mini USB adapter bundled. So, don't use other devices' USB port to supply power to the MX1. If you are not using wifi, you can use the standard USB connector, but I wouldn't use a USB disk drive without it's own power supply.

I added a 7 port USB hub with own power supply and the wifi signal strength actually increased by up to a few dB's. It doesn't seem to matter if I plug in other USB devices to the hub or not. I thought it was a toy hub for a few dollars. I never need one because just my monitor has about 3 USB's and my netbook also has 3. I brought it for powering up a disk drive with a y-cable without drawing power from the other device. It didn't work.

For wifi trouble shooting I downloaded the Wifi analyzer app to monitor the receive power over time, and to see if there are other strong channels interfering. Auto selection doesn't always work because the interfering signals seem to come and go. You can select a quiet channel from you router. Imagine if you live in an apartment and everybody's apartments has a wifi router to sync their phones. The other app I use is a wifi manager that report the link speed and numerical signal strength of detected wireless access points.

There are a few more things to do before you can get the best link speed out of the MX. Don't use wireless mouse or keyboard! Some interferes more than the others. Haven't tried bluetooth versions. A wired USB mouse works using the micro USB adapter. At the back of my 47" TV I got very bad reception. I use the side HDMI. My router supports wifi-n, up to 150 Mbps with one antenna. Since my cable modem is at the upstairs study, I now put it on the floor to improve the reception of the MX1 at the TV downstairs.

The MX1 definitely supports wifi-n. With a decent signal, I can get up to a link connection speed of 135 Mbps, while my router is capable of 150 Mbps. I can't test if the 300 Mbps mode is supported by the MX1. My router doesn't. Although it seems to be a bit sloppy, but the MX1 is small without an antenna. It now performs solidly almost as well as my other Android phone, which is at least few times more expensive.

The MX1 wifi reception at my setup is almost good enough to stream 1080p movies. There is a bundled home media center that is DLNA compliant. I use the rygel server on Ubuntu. It's totally watchable although pauses every few seconds to a minute. It works totally for any other resolutions.

My logitech USB wireless mouse and another wireless keyboard works. Now I'm using the mini usb and adapter. Blue tooth seems to work. It detected the Apple keyboard, which refused to communicate. I paired up the MX1 with my Android phone, but haven't got a clue of what to do with them. I had an unused wireless keyboard with pad that can't do two finger scrolling in Ubuntu. It turns out to be ideal for this MX1 because the android interface are mostly one fingered.

For some reasons, blue tooth freezes and I cannot turn it on again. But it works again after factory reset in the settings menu. Before reset, it's best to have an SD card to store the settings. You can store it at Google, but you have to connect to Google first.

The Anututu bench mark is 8600's. The highest clock reported is 1.6GHz. It's comparable to a Samsung Galaxy SII, not as good only in the 3D graphics department. So the dual core is respectable but the graphics chip isn't a high end one. There is about 1G of ram and less than 6G of flash memory.

The screen resolution is reported to be 1280 x <720, irrespective of what the setting is. I set it to 1080 and my smart TV agrees with it. But the refresh rate on the menu is 60 Hz. My TV is 120 Hz and there are higher ones. I watched 1080p 3D movie on my passive TV and it seems to be OK. You also have to set the scale to full at the settings app.

My 1TB USB drive works when plugged in. It's NTFS formatted and has two partitions. It has it's own power supply.

3D 1080p movies play perfectly from the local hard drive.

There is a bundled home media center that you can use as a media server and client, with a video player too I think. I tried the client but not the server. You can download a media file to the local storage too, or stream, or both. It plays all mkv, mp4, wmv, avi movies except an old one. My TV knows only mp4 and then some. In Ubuntu you can install rygel as the DLNA server that worked out of the box.

The youtube apps works but can't go full screen because you can't "turn" your MX1. You can go full screen on youtube via the built-in browser. 1080p videos play well but ... firstly, the youtube 1080p isn't really the 1080p as compressed in mp4. Secondly, you never know if the resolution is 1080p because of multiple resolutions. But they looked 1080p to me, not as good as 1080p movies. Netflix app streams HD well (Mirror Mirror) except at the beginning with a jitter or two. I have the Amazon video app on the iPad. It's on Google Play store but it's only for google TV.

Haven't try any 1080p graphic intensive games yet.

The MX1 is quite snappy as a Android game center, media center and a desktop. Highly recommended. One star less for the wifi/USB problems. But really, I should be upgrading to a 300Mbps router to be used also as a file server, printer server and backup. (may be BT client too.) So all the phones and all the pads works in all the rooms with decent link speed. My current refurbished $18 router can be used as a repeater. My 7 USB hub is about $5.

I left the MX1 on for 2 days without problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, don't expect too much though., February 8, 2013
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
The range of the WiFi and Bluetooth are pretty awful on this device. There is a hack where you open the case and expose the wireless antennae externally which seems to improve things dramatically. Otherwise you might find your BT range is not further than about 1.5 metres. Aside from that fact this is an alright device, especially for the price. It supports USB ethernet if your WiFi is not usable. Some apps from Google Play are not compatible or don't appear in the search listings. A nice surprise was the Rockchip remote control app for Android worked perfectly though. XMBC for Android also works well. If you don't expect the world you should not be disappointed with this device. You can now easliy and cheaply add Netfilx / Lovefilm, or BBC iPlayer to your TV if your telly lacks the 'smart TV' functions that seem to come as standard these days.

3.0 out of 5 stars This product is NOT!!! the imito its the ug007, March 6, 2013
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
This unit is the ug007 in a imito mx1 sleeve i spent two days trying to update it with the imito update..during startup its has the r-box boot screen which is even more proof, i even took the device apart and google pics of the imito and the ug007 and its not the imito. the specs are simular..i feel that if i came to amazon to purchase the imito thats what i want not a wolf in sheep's clothing i will be keeping my device and not returning it but every one else heads up ITS NOT THE REAL DEAL Imito

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in product quality, March 3, 2013
Judyblue "Judyblue" (princeton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
I ordered this product in late December, and received it in early January. It has worked perfectly until today, March 3, when the unit refused to boot into the operating system. Unfortunately, the return window expired on January 18. For the price, I wasn't expecting it to last a lifetime but I did expect it to last longer 2 months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Requires Some Technical Knowledge, February 7, 2013
dealuva (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
I was looking for a device to watch online videos and browse the web on the TV without having to drop big bucks on a computer to connect to a TV. This device does do the job. You will be able to browse and watch online videos and the resolution looks great. BUT...and it's a big BUT... I bought this device for someone who has minimal knowledge about operating computer devices. By minimal, I mean he knows how to click on bookmarks and type in his favorite website addresses and that's it. The problem with this device is that it experiences dropped signals, which require you to have to reconnect to the internet or sometimes you have to reset the router and then power on and off the device (Oh and one other thing is that there is no power button/switch for the device. You can click on the Power Off button on the home screen but the only way to turn it back on is to unplug its power source and plug it back in. VERY inconvenient when that power source is plugged into a surge protector located at the back of your entertainment unit.) Since the person I bought this for does not have basic knowledge to reconnect the device to the internet or do basic troubleshooting, I get called to fix this device every other day. It's frustrating for that person and frustrating for me. In short, do not buy this for your parents who don't know their way around a computer because it probably will not be a simple set up and go scenario. If you (1) know basic troubleshooting and don't mind tinkering with the device every now and then, (2) cannot find a more reliable device, and (3) are able to plug the power supply into an outlet that you can easily get to, then it's not a bad device to buy. I gave it 3 stars because when it works, it works well.

3.0 out of 5 stars very good concept, some wifi distance issues, January 25, 2013
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
It is an excellent way to upgrade the existing TV (with HDMI) to be an smart TV. Wifi needs to be close though or it might drop connections. Very good quality otherwise and fits decent # of ports in very small space. Comes with Google Play store.
-Use regular USB mouse to gain access to UI
-Buy a cheap Bluetooth small keyboard (~25$) with touch pad to use it like tablet
-Some have fixed the wifi issue by removing cover, moving wires around etc
-Potential to connect with NAS over wifi to use as media player, widi, dlna, streaming apps and so on
-Can use LAN - USB adapter as alternative to wifi issues

5.0 out of 5 stars Amen, January 22, 2013
This review is from: iMito MX1 TV Box (Brown) (Electronics)
My TV has four HDMI slots and the fourth one is a 'sideways' one so this does not stick out at all. it is persnickity on any tension on it, so the wallwart to power it, I had to sculpt a wire hanger into a hook off a bracket, to loop the powercord around to take any weight or pull off it, then it was very happy and powered up and did what it should.

I seen a review where someone complained about their slot was half an amp and this draws two... it is meant to be separately powered and comes with a wallwart and plug. So plug it into your TV, plug in the wallwart, and hook it to the proper slot on the body of this. A little blue very bright LED will light up. Now turn the TV on and go through the steps to set it up.

I also have an optical mouse hooked to it and had to fly the cord too to take weight off the connections. I bought an airmouse that was a dud, and working on replacing that so I can be total couchspud and not have to stand in front of TV like I'm playing a video game to select what I want to watch.

Interacting with this, I have had no problems with wifi, it is running about 40 linear feet and through two walls and it has no connect problems. The screens are intuitive and it seems to have pretty close to the same power/ability as my tablet.

I did purchase a Class 10 32gb SD chip for it so I can store stuff, it has a very small amount onboard, I do recommend that you purchase that at the same time. It was a real bear getting it to 'eat' the SD chip, it finally seated (and it did eject once onto the floor, that is a pretty small flake to find in the carpet!) Persistence and a strong fingernail to shove it in.

Note that there are unrated, Class 4, and Class 10 SD chips, for compatability you need a Class 10.

When you plug this in, the other end has a fullsized out, and there is another slot for your dongle for picking up an airmouse.

NOTE this doesn't come with a mouse of any kind, you have to buy that separately too.

I also have a pair of bluetooth headphones and it works with those as well.

Been well worth my $, just wish the airmouse had worked out of the box. Beats having my tablet leashed to and dedicated to the TV to watch streaming.

iMito MX1 TV Box  (Brown)
Used & New from: $60.27