5.0 out of 5 stars Another great manual from Pogue Press

Published on June 3, 2009 by S. Stoessel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great manual from Pogue Press, May 17, 2009
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
When Apple updated, or more accurately, replaced the well-regarded iMovie 6 in late 2007 with iMovie `08, many users were disappointed if not outraged. `08 was an entirely different application and eliminated many features of iMovie 6 which users had grown to depend on. Now, with the new iMovie `09, users have a good reason to be happy again. Some lost features are back, many features are improved, and a whole lot of new features have been added.

Pogue Press/O'Reilly's new book "iMovie `09 and iDVD" covers the new iMovie in a comprehensive way emphasizing the linkages of the new application to iMovie 6. The book is another of the "Missing Manual" series that follows the established brilliant template of comprehensive feature descriptions and explanations, practical guidance and tips, honest critique, and articulate and witty expression. Co-author David Pogue is known as one of the world's greatest communicators. Here he is assisted by Aaron Miller who focuses on updates from the previous edition of the book.

The book is comprised of three parts and four very useful appendices which include a full menu by menu guide, a troubleshooting guide, a master list of keyboard shortcuts, and an unusual visual client sheet describing the various components of the open iMovie project window. Part Three of the book is all about iDVD, which has not changed since the last edition of the book. That part covers the basics of the application; menus, slideshows, and mapping; designing themes; and some advanced techniques.

The opening part covers everything a user needs to know about the iMovie program from importing video and media, to constructing the visual and audio tracks, using special effects, editing with the built-in correction tools (image stabilization, color adjustments, cropping, etc.) adding titles and credits, and a short chapter on the artistic elements of editing. After your masterpiece is done, the authors explain in Part Two how to save and format it, distribute it, back it up and archive it, and adapt it to multiple formats for viewing on the web, iPhone, YouTube, and other hosts.

As usual with any "Missing Manual" book, the book is richly produced with plenty of full-color screenshots and photos, filled with Tips, Notes, FAQs, advanced material, and sidebar material. For those features of iMovie 6 not included in the new application, the authors provide more than adequate workarounds. There are also supplemental sections on Garage Band and QuickTime player applications basics. Pogue is known for including not only practical professional tips on movie making, but also purchasing recommendations and efficiency and production suggestions from his own experience.

This is a top-notch guide to iMovie `09 and iDVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even an 80 year old can learn to create movies with this manual, February 14, 2010
Hartley J. Jackson (Lyndonville, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I could not have made my first movie without iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual.

I am now 80 years old, and learning something new. My wife has been ice skating for 63 years, and had never seen herself skate. She had her second knee replaced, and it would be wonderful if she could show her surgeon how she could skate on her new knee.

It took almost a week using iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual to learn enough and create the first movie of my wife and myself ice skating. It took less time to create a second movie of my wife skating. She had some ideas for improving it. It only took one day to shoot the ice skating that she wanted to show the surgeon, and create that movie of her skating. She was thrilled, and we hope her surgeon will also be thrilled.

If an 80 year old can use iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual to make movies, you can too.

iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual covers a lot more than iMovie and iDVD because it takes a lot more than iMovie to make a movie.

First the book covers the advantages of different camcorders past and present as well as the different ways you import videos from them. I wasted time here trying to find out how to import from my digital camera into iMusic. Later I found the indexed reference to iPhoto Videos which explained they are imported into iPhoto and how iMusic uses them from there.

Next iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual clearly covers the concept of movie projects, and of events which contain source footage. Then it covers building the movie by reviewing (skimming) your clips, selecting and editing the good stuff, adding the good stuff to your project in the storyboard, and using the editing tools. There was too much to learn all at once. I selected the portions of the information in the manual that I needed to do what I needed to do when I needed it. I found the information I needed to select and insert transitions, run stabilization analysis, and to add titles. I used just a little of the information in chapters about Narration, Music, and Sound, and about photos, to import background music from iTunes and add stills from iPhoto for the beginning and ending.

You could become an expert by learning all there is in iMovie & iDVD The Missing Manual, but not in one month.

Part two covers getting your finished movie to your audience. Using iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual it was a snap for me to export to iTunes and from there to our iPods, to export to YouTube and MobileMe. It was also easy to create QuickTime versions of my movies and to burn the movies to a CD. There is more in the book about QuickTime and the Quicktime Player that I want to learn.

Part three covers iDVD '09. I will use it to create and burn a DVD containing my movies and slide shows. As with iMovie, I will not need to learn to be an expert, but based upon my experience with the iMovie '09 portion of iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual, I am sure you could use it to become an expert.

I highly recommend iMovie '09 & iDVD The Missing Manual. Aaron Miller has written an excellent '09 update. He makes light reading of what could be a heavy subject, but without forcing David Pogue's natural humor.

You can view the movies at
100204_IceSkating
[...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for the purpose, July 10, 2009
Professor (Denton, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
This book has saved me. The book contains more useful information than the manufacturer user manual and in "real people" terminology that is easy to understand. If you want the best performance from your software in lightening speed, buy this book, you will be grateful that you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save youself the $40 dollars, June 3, 2009
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
The information presented in the book can be readily gleaned from the tutorials provided by Apple. If you have recorded scenes from, say, "Buffy and Bill's Big Adventure in San Diego" this book and iMovie are for you. Anything more complicated or lengthy is beyond this book. Trying to make a DVD of my daughter's play convinced me that iMovie and iDVD couldn't do the job. I thought the book could help me, but alas, it's simply a repeat of Apple's literature. Troubleshooting was virtually non-existent and utterly irreverent. For example, the one-step DVD routine produced a fuzzy video on playback, although in iMovie and on the camera, the focus is fine. The only change is that the iMovie rendered the movie for DVD, but there is nothing in the book about the rendering process. Another true story -- the book never admits that iMovie can't produce a DVD with chapters that play sequentially. Instead it speaks of the freedom you have to move the clips around. The damnable movie themes seem to be a permanent feature. The only true recommendation the book presents is to upgrade to the professional version or iMovie 06 if you have problems. The whole book comes across as a quick knock-off, rather than the detailed guide to the program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like this a lot, June 18, 2009
Ciro A. Mazzola (Kalamazoo, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
The author has done a great job both with picture and words. Love those pictorial examples. There are a lot of hidden gems in iMovie 09 that the author reveals and leads one down the path of "mission accomplished." I actually went to the section that I needed first to get a project completed, and am now going back to the beginning and reading both section, iMovie and iDvd, from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always, June 2, 2009
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Ive purchased every volume of this book since iMovie 2 and each one of them fantastic. The new iMovie can be difficult at first but this book made it so easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grateful, January 22, 2010
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
"Grateful" is the only word I can think of when I read books like this. I can appreciate one reviewer's comment when they said they were "late for the Video party." I'm so late for the party, I thought everyone would have gone home, the food put away and the lights out. I'm 80 years old and setting forth on an exhileratingly new adventure. Although I've danced (and taught dancing) for over 60 years, it has become obvious that it's almost impossible to pursue my passion without a certain amount of digital and electronic knowledge. I had absolutely none. Not only is this gorgeous Macbook becoming my best friend, this wonderful "iMovie 09" book has transported our dance classes into magical musical productions.

I am so grateful to David Pogue that it brings tears to my eyes. I've spent the last 4 months studying this book. That may sound like an extremely long time to many of you but I'd challenge you to learn dancing in 4 months. :) I started without a clue of how to make a movie, let alone even run a digital camera. My first DVD was absolutely terrific. We started with our Rumba class and then went on to Colombianas. My students are so thrilled, we have started our own little fun video production company.

I'm not Pollyanna saying everything always went "zippity do dah" well. When I made boo boo's it was not the book's fault. Not at all. It was always my lack of basic knowledge. I would like to interject here, that I began my computer knowledge (I use that word lightly) with Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard. But that would be another review.

So all you people who are able to buzz through this book because you already have a background of basic computer and digital, I applaud you and want to remind you how lucky you are to have found this path so much earlier than I have. But Whoopee, I did find it and I found this book as my daily guide. My next challenge is learning to send to YouTube and and Mobileme. Thank you David Pogue. Manzanita

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and comprehensive, August 31, 2009
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I'm about halfway through this book so far, and have found it to be excellent. It's quite clear and readable, even though some of the advanced features are fairly complex. It also seems to be comprehensive, covering all the myriad details. Finally, it is well organized. This is challenging, an art and a science. There are some "by the way" tips that are introduced at a useful time, even though you wouldn't know to look for them there. I'm looking forward the Missing Manual for Snow Leopard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Useful, September 21, 2010
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
While iMovie is a great product and the included tutorials are helpful, this manual does in fact fill in the missing pieces and offers useful hints on how to use the product. As an example, adding titles with iMovie is very easy but until I read the manual, I didn't realize that you can place a title on top of a clip so that you can see the movie below the words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, October 21, 2009
This review is from: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
Great job on this new Missing Manual. It's a huge help for anyone moving from iMovie 6 to iMovie 9 with it's very new, much more mainstream approach to video editing. As usual with the Missing Manual series, this book saved me hours of trial and error learning and let me start editing footage right away.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual
iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual by David Pogue (Paperback - April 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01