5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an experienced iOS programmer
Published on January 18, 2012 by D. Solberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Review for Kindle edition
Generally I consider the book interesting and competent. The book is definitively not for beginners. What I consider to be a serious negative is missing index. For that I would give to the printed version 4 stars.
Published on May 5, 2012 by Jaromir Siska

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an experienced iOS programmer, January 18, 2012
D. Solberg (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: iOS 5 Programming Pushing the Limits: Developing Extraordinary Mobile Apps for Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch (Paperback)
Don't buy this book if you're just learning iOS -- it's written with an assumption that you know how to write a complete program on your own. For example, the author will often write things like, "After that, it's just like using a normal xib file," or assume you know the difference between a view's frame and bounds. Another example -- the section on storyboards assumes you know how to deal with iOS 4 transitions. These might be pretty basic things, but it would be frustrating for someone who isn't at that point yet.

Basically, if you've written a few applications and want to extend your abilities, you'll love this book. If you're in the target audience for this book, each section is clearly explained and contains just the right amount of information to take you to the next level. In particular, the author is very good at explaining those odd conventions that make you want to scream without over-explaining everything else. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide to going beyond the basics, January 18, 2012
Carl Veazey (Niwot, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I've been developing iOS apps professionally for over 3 years now. Every chapter this book surprises and amazes me with new tricks and has opened my eyes to new techniques and ways of thinking. The writing style is approachable and makes for a quick read, and the code samples convey the point without unnecessary clutter. Also of use is the references given throughout the text, which have led me on reading expeditions that reveal even more information to me.
The one complaint I have so far is that the section on interacting with REST services is based on ASIHTTPRequest, which sadly will no longer be maintained. It would have been better to just use NSURLConnection or CFNetwork, or one of the extant libraries such as AFNetworking.
That aside, this is a valuable book and if you're a professional iOS developer you owe it to yourself to give it a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars What You Don't Know You Don't Know, February 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a long time iOS programmer, I thought I knew a thing or two about the platform, but my day job has been demanding for the last year or so and I'd fallen behind on new developments and techniques, and some not so new. And along comes this wonderful book to remind me of all the little things I could be doing to make my Objective-C do more with less code or do things I didn't know it could do.

This book is up to date as of the beginning of 2012. For example it covers such iOS 5 APIs as Storyboards, iCloud integration, and Automatic Reference counting, along with such still cutting edge technologies as Blocks and Grand Central Dispatch, and older tech that still frustrates such as the use of Core Animation and Key Value Observing. Through it all, I don't think I went 5 pages without encountering an idea, concept or fact new to me. I was also happy at the high level walkthrough of Xcode 4, as I'm still transitioning from 3.2 with some unhappiness. Topics were seemingly picked for their relevance to the working coder so plenty of dealing with web servers and optimizing table performance.

[Update: and time marches on, and now iOS 6 is released with things this book couldn't possibly have covered like PassBook, FaceBook and other social network integration, new Location Services APIs, Collection Views etc. Still a useful book, just not cutting edge.]

One bit of elegance stood out for me, that I could create an NSDictionary from a JSON snippet and turn around and call setValuesForKeysWithDictionary: on my object and bam it would configure all its properties (or perhaps most of them with a few unfortunately named properties needing a little help). Maybe this is obvious. Maybe everyone else in the world does this, but to me, that encapsulates the power of Objective-C combined with pervasive use of key value coding.

Many parts of the book will be useful to Mac programmers as well. For example, the chapter on Core Text, or the chapter on the inner workings of the Objective-C runtime.

The one chapter for which I didn't get the point was about working offline, as the author's didn't quite make their case as to why I would choose NSKeyArchiver over Core Data, but even this weakest chapter was better than you'd find in most programming books.

If you are a pro iOS coder or aspire to be. buy this book and read it as fast as you can.

2.0 out of 5 stars Review for Kindle edition, May 5, 2012
Jaromir Siska (Prague, Czech Rep.) - See all my reviews
Problem is with Kindle edition. The formatting of code examples which are significant part of the text is awful an makes reading of the code very difficult. Taking into consideration that the Kindle price is higher than price of printed version than this fact is hardly acceptable.
I will recommend buying of printed version and I strongly advice against purchase of Kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book lets you take your knowledge of IOS and objective-c to the limit!, April 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
IOS 5 Programming Pushing the Limits: Developing Extraordinary Mobile Apps for Apple iPhone, iPad and the iPod Touch is a book for IOS 5 programmers with an intermediate understanding of Apple's platforms who want to push their skills to an advanced level. Unlike many so called advanced books, this book actually covers advanced features of objective-c and the IOS libraries. I was particularly interested in reading about the author's description of the advanced features of objective-c. I have always felt uncomfortable with my knowledge of the key value coding and key value observing that is so important to this platform; the author devotes a whole chapter to this issue and, by the end of the chapter, I felt that I had a good grasp of these concepts. The author also devotes a chapter to blocks which I found very illuminating but, perhaps the most useful chapter for me was chapter 20 which covered how objective-c is implemented; as a result of reading this chapter I feel that I really understand the inner workings of objective-c. It should be understood that this book is not just about objective-c, indeed, there are chapters on advanced features of tables (so essential to Apple's mobile platforms), drawing and core animation. In addition there is a whole section of the book devoted to topics you just won't find in an introductory book such as developing simultaneously for the Apple's different mobile platforms (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) and, and whole chapters on multitasking and multi threading, enabling in-app purchases, security features such as file protection and keychains and many other topics. While I focused on the chapters on advanced features of objective-c I read some of the other chapters and found that the material in these chapters was of the same quality as the objective-c language chapters. I should warn the prospective buyer of this book that, since the material in this book is very advanced, the reader should have a basic knowledge of objective-c and know how to get around the IOS API's; you should definitely know how to create a basic application. I definitely recommend this book to anyone wishing to achieve an advanced understanding of IOS and objective-c.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book..., May 2, 2012
Let me just start by saying that Rob is a great guy, when I had a question about GCD, he quickly gave me an in deep analysis about what was wrong and what could be done . He even took my sample project, edited to best suit what he preached and gave it back. Just for that, we can see the level (both technical and human) of this guy.

The book as many people said here is just amazing, I have been playing with Xcode 4 since it has been released, and let me just say that: how could I miss so much about it... I mean, in 10 pages I learn more than in months and months of practice. I can't say much more because I am going to start chapter 3 now, but let me just say the following: if you see a topic and you feel confident that you should skip it just DON'T, read it, you might get a surprise..

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers those details that the other intro books don't, February 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've gone through many iOS programming books and tutorials and you reach a point where you are comfortable enough with the basics. Then you go to write your own program and you run into all sorts of other problems in terms of how to do things in iOS dealing with online data and services. That is where this book comes in with practical examples on how to do these things and do them efficiently. It does them in a straight forward way and then also shows you how you can use GCD (Grand Central Dispatch) and blocks to do it better. For the intermediate/advanced developer who is building a real app, this is a great book to read through to get additional tips to help make your app better.

I am definitely enjoying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good supplemental reference for the intermediate developer, February 13, 2012
Gavin Scott (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So this is an interesting book. It's not a complete guide to anything, but it contains a lot of very useful and well written information, mostly about changes and new features in iOS 5.0 development.

It goes into depth on topics that a comprehensive iOS programming book would probably have to skim over quite quickly.

The "Look Inside" feature for this book offers much of the content so you can get an idea for the subjects covered and whether you think they would be of value to you.

I learned quite a few things I did not know, and gained a better understanding of things that were previously a bit fuzzy in terms of my understanding.

I will definitely be applying things that I learned from this book in our current app development, and I think anyone doing iOS development (even if you're relatively new to it) will learn a lot from it, even if it only covers some topics and certainly does not claim to be a complete book on app development.

The writing is really excellent, being clear, concise, and pleasant to read. A nice change from the more average iOS books.

G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting a deeper look into iOS 5 Programming, February 7, 2012
David Bradshaw (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To start off with, this book is not an intro or step by step book. This book is for people who know Objective-C and are familiar with programming for iOS devices (or at least use to Xcode). This book does start off with a quick intro to iOS and the new items in iOS 5 and showing new features of Xcode 4. After that is assumes that you know the basics (or intermediates) of the uses of iOS and Objective-C. If you are familiar with iOS and Objective-C this book is a must, since it will introduce you to the new features of iOS 5 and help you use the tools in Xcode and built in calls for iOS to get your program up and running with little coding, by explaining what is already built into the API and what is not, so that you do not try to rebuild the wheel. The book is well organized starting off with new features and how to use new items in Xcode, then what is available already on iOS and Objective-C followed by individual tasks that you may find useful in your future apps, as you go through the book the items get more advance.

This book is well structured and is easy to read since the author is more talking to you then writing a textbook. The book has a few screenshots, but they are in black and white, but the advance concepts introduced are not in need of full color illustrations. If you are looking for a book to teach you Objective-C or learn iOS programming, I would look for an Intro or Step by Step book, however, if you know the basics and want to further your understandings and skills of iOS and Objective-C then this is the book for you. I highly recommend for anyone trying to learn more about iOS and Objective-C programming and further understand the limits that you can push an iOS 5 device to! Highly recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative and clear, April 20, 2012
This is a stellar book that manages to cover very different topics but still be clear and goal-oriented. There are not many books of this kind.

It may be not be appropriate for a beginner, but it should be tried anyway, since its exceptional clarity can be enough to anybody with enough previous experience in professional software development .

What is most surprising is that a lot of attention is given to different topics, but its style is never wordy. It is written with a clear focus in mind. Some very important topics are given the right coverage not easily found elsewhere: cocoa design patterns, custom drawing, core animation, REST, running on multiple iDevices, internationalization and localization, key-value observing, and seamless offline user experience.

Starting with chapter one, the book style is clearly laid out. A section on the history of iOS offers enough information in a concise way. Afterwards, iCloud, ARC and Storyboards are clearly explained. In the chapter "Everyday Objective-C", one can grasp that this is not a book for beginners, but an experienced developer should not have much trouble.

For a more comprehensive and detailed (albeit not so concise as in this book) coverage for beginners, "Learning iPad Programming" is a very good option. If the reader can accept the often childish style, "Head First iPhone and iPad development" is another good option with less coverage but a wider scope. Anyway, this book is a natural following to these other books.

The number of insights and depth of coverage are excellent. One is often served with information that is clear but concise and authoritative. This book manages to be comprehensive without being a boring reference. A truly great book that offers a lot more than one can expect.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›