Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on Tikes

• Customer Reviews

I use an Apple iPad about 6 to 8 hours a day. I own an iPad 2 and 3 and now this new iPad Air version. My main reasons for updating were that I literally fill up my 64 GIG iPad every day or two with videos and photos that I shoot. Having this larger version at 128 GIG allows me to work longer and add more to my iPad. In addition this new version is much lighter and easier to use all day long. Even though the battery is smaller in capacity than my iPad 3 the battery life is longer and it is very noticeable. This is because the faster A7 CPU and the motion chip actually use less power.

Please watch my video as I go into more details in it.

I immediately noticed the increase in speed. The unit connects to the WIFI faster, synchs with iTunes faster, downloads emails faster and speeds up your web browsing. The differences are very noticeable and enjoyable as a user. The dual speakers are a nice change but I also use a lot of Bluetooth speakers to enhance the sound of the iPad.

In my video I do a size and weight comparison to an iPad 2, an iPad 3 and the iPad Air. I also show how the basic set up takes place and for advanced users you can just speed through that portion of the video. The iPad 2 weighs 1 pound 5 1/8 ounces, the iPad 3 weighs 1 pound 7 1/8 ounces, and the iPad Air weighs 1 pound and ¼ ounce. The iPad Air is narrower but has the same screen size. The left and right edges of the iPad are thinner on the sides of the useable screen and you can see that in the video.

Here are the key improvements for me:
* Much lighter in weight
* Thinner, smaller design with the same screen size
* Much faster when synching with iTunes
* Much faster when browsing the web
* Much faster when downloading emails
* Stronger WIFI connection and faster WIFI synching
* A more powerful AC wall adapter with 5.2 VDC and an output of 2.4 Amps. It charges at 12 watts of power. It operates at 100 to 240 VAC and 50/60 Hz and it is UL approved. It features folding AC wall plugs for easy packing when traveling.
* Lower CPU and motion chip power consumption that makes the smaller/lighter internal battery last longer! This is very noticeable!
* As usual a beautiful high resolution retina screen with 2048 by 1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch. You can see the difference in the photos, videos and reading quality of the screen.
* Dual speakers in the bottom
* Free high quality Apps
* iPhoto
* iMovie
* GarageBand
* Pages
* Keynote
* Remember to download these from Apple!

Overall this is a superior product that really outperforms the older iPads that I have. I was disappointed that the new iPad Air did not have the home button with the fingerprint sensor built in. Since I have used it with my iPhone 5S I have really become attached to it and it just seems like a way to cheapen the unit and be more competitive instead of showing and using the enhanced technology. I would have paid a little more for the iPad Air with that sensor.

This is still a 5 star product and I recommend it as a very good tablet.
3838 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2013
I have owned several Apple products, and the iPad is the most distinguished among Apple's line up relative to its competition. The most compelling aspects of this tablet are the beautiful design, and the 10 hour battery life. These are the two features that made me decide to purchase another Apple product irrespective of their business practices which try to squeeze money out of their customers by not supporting devices properly after they are released.

After having used this product for over a month now, I can say it is an improvement over my iPad 1. The browser now crashes on the original to the point of making it worthless. My original iPad had 256 MB of RAM which is not enough to load a lot of modern web pages without the browser crashing. That is why I had hoped the 1 GB of RAM in the iPad Air would be sufficient, and it has improved, yet I still find that the browser crashes on occasion. The scroll latency is very subtle, but noticeable to me. It doesn't really impact my usage, but it could create problems for people who game on their iPads. Putting in 2 GB of RAM (which is what I have in my Nexus 4) does not cost that much, and would improve the performance greatly. For a premium product, I expect the best, and Apple has consistently under-delivered on processing hardware which created the same problems all the way back to the iPhone 1 I purchased on launch day.

I take 1 star off for business practices which burn through your pocket, and the second star is removed for needless low-RAM browser crashes that are still a problem on the latest iteration (which is likely planned to force relegation of old devices and compel new sales.) Still, I can say that this is the best 10 inch tablet available, and android has no viable alternative worth purchasing. If you can overlook the two biggest strikes I have against Apple, you should consider no other 10 inch tablet at this time.

UPDATE 1/17/14

Today I called into Apple support because my browser is crashing frequently. I am now experiencing 5 - 10 browser crashes a day when it was only 2 - 3 times a week when I first purchased it. Speaking with the Apple support technician, he said that they have not received many complaints about this issue yet, so I may be experiencing a rare software or hardware problem. I looked through my crash log (which had over 100 crash reports in it since Nov. 11th) and the vast majority of them were low memory crashes. However, the tablet did not operate this way when I initially purchased it, and it began to increase in frequency about 2 weeks ago. Therefore I suspect that there is a software conflict (I still have 4 GBs of free flash hard drive space, so I doubt it is a conflict with virtual memory, although a RAM hardware problem is possible). I went through some basic procedures the technician recommended, and I was advised to do a system wipe if the problems should persist. I will test the tablet for a few days before wiping everything and starting over. I'll update this review once I am confident of what the issue was.
6868 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2014
I bought this as a gift for my aunt. When I received this, I found the iPad was pre-owned. To make sure about this, I also double checked the unique code on the back of iPad on the It showed this iPad was activated on April, 3 months before when I got this. You can tell how disappoint I was.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2014
could not get this produt to work. a call to Apple Support produced a surprise. the product had been sold last Nov., and was repackaged and resold. A bad experience!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2014
I ordered a "brand new ipad" and it seems like they are repackaging old units and selling them. The box was wrapped with plastic and everything looked brand new, accept for when you turn the box over. There was no imei number listed and the serial number was not valid. I spoke with several people at apple and they told me that this is a fraudulent product. Think twice before you purchase off of amazon. Refund is on the way
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2014
Recieved broken and screen shattered
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2014
My wife is exceedingly happy with the product it is fast intuitive (more so than the programmers who designed it). Everything worked as advertised except the setup. The online instructions for transferring data and apps from her old Ipad (yes, this is not her first) were pretty simple and basic using the cloud or ITunes. That is until we discovered that the new ipad air had an older operating system than the old one and they weren't compatible. Not a thing would transfer!!!! That meant setting the Ipad Air up as a new ipad and manually transferring apps and data. Now, guess what the first thing the Ipad Air did once it was setup and operable. You guessed it, it updated itself to the version of the operating system on my wife's old one!!! Would it not make sense, since they will sit on a distribution shelf until sold, to program them to update the IOS first then setup. That would have saved us a lot of time and frustration. Except for this we would have rated this product five stars. After almost a month of use my wife is still happy with the apple product, we are not so happy with the seller and Amazon. We had a problem with the unit "freezing" during an update install, which we understand is easily repairable and not uncommon. We took the unit in to an Apple Store to have it "unfrozen". They immediately told us the unit was used and had been in an Apple Store previously for repairs. This is NOT what we purchased, it is not "Brand New Factory Sealed". The Apple Representative told us that "at best it is Factory Refurbished". After checking Amazon's return policy I found they would refund my money (not replace the product which I can understand) after they receive the unit, which means that I am stuck with the return freight. I thought, well, I will contact the actual seller, Wrong again!!! Except for being able to receive a duplicate invoice or thanking them for being able to do business with them it is CONTACT AMAZON!! Guess what, still stuck with the return freight for something that is not my fault (it is either vendor mistake or vendor misrepresentation) and I will have to purchase a new unit and set it up all over again. This really doesn't seem like the best way win friends and influence customers
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2014
The iPads I purchased from TechGiant were not as they were described! When I took them to T-mobile to activate these "brand new ipads", I was told that they could not activate 4G on any of the 8 ipads I purchased! This was because all 8 were previously owned and blocked for FRAUD! TechGiant is selling previously owned items! TechGIANT I would appreciate it if you contacted me directly to resolve this asap!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2014
Be weary of online purchase. I purchased this iPad Air new, came in original box, unopened with the plastic wrap attached. When I tried to active cellular data, the iPad was blocked and flagged as fraud attempt! Obviously was returned and awaiting refund.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2013
First of let me tell you I am not an apple fanboy. I own and support samsung products. I carry a galaxy note 2 with me every day and would not consider an iPhone until the make some huge changes to it. Last year I bought a nexus 7 and loved it. Now that it's specs are getting a little dated I had to look for an upgrade. The new nexus 7 didn't impress me with it's dated CPU. So I looked to the note 2014 and the iPad air. I used both side by side and researched every detail. I sell these things for a living. The note is very impressive but, for all it's stats and hardware features it still struggles with simple movements. You can point out is 3 gigs of ram and the very good snapdragon 800 quad core CPU. Then you have apples 1 gig of ram with the measly dual core a7 CPU. ????? Now for the real world facts and it pains me to say this because I love android, but the fact is the a7 in the iPad air with it's upgraded clock speed at 1.39 gigs has yet to be matched in any bench mark from another mobile processor including the quad core s 800 by snapdragon. And with the future in mind the 64 bit tech is hard to beat. Them to the 1 gig of ram vs the 3 gigs in the note. If you can't use all that horsepower why put it in there. The air is twice as snappy as the note with no lag what so every. The note on the other hand lags even on swiping through home screens. It all comes down to the operating system apple remains king. Android may be pretty and customizable but that all comes at a cost. That cost is performance. You can take a car with 500 horsepower and put it on a curvy bending road. All that horsepower doesn't mean a thing. The car with 200 horsepower will still win by going straight.
So I bought the air and love it. And must say I have missed iTunes and the more refined apps.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse