5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fluff in the first 140 pages or so
Published on June 2, 2011 by Jonathan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, May 3, 2010
Joonbeams (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iPad Application Development For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) (Paperback)
//ARE YOU LIKE ME?//

Who am I? (Feel free to skip this part. I only provide this for those who are noobs like me). I'm a busy working professional and tech hobbyist who built his computer from the ground up, hacks or "jailbreaks" any device I can, uses the "advanced" features of intricate software suites such as Adobe CS4, feels equally comfy in Mac and PC world, etc. and blah blah, who learned everything the hard way - trial and error, countless hours of slamming my head in the wall, support forums, etc. Much of my woes come from the fact that I have the attention span of a 3 year old. Oh, and I've never taken a formal "tech" class, I'm not an engineer, and I know NOTHING, ZILCH, NADA about programming. I've never ever ever written even a single line of code (save again for pretty decent websites I've built using Dreamweaver, which writes the code for you). Anyway, I love Apple products (but don't worship them), yet I've never had an itch to "program" for any of them until the iPad. I simply love (okay, maybe it is worship) the way the iPad lays out content and media. So much so, that I'm determined, for no clear reason, to write an app for it. So like I normally do with these impulses, I registered and downloaded the iPhone SDK and Apple videos and jumped right in to writing my app because I was told it was "easy" - ah, not so fast. After the first Apple video and barrage of error messages in the SDK, I realized I was in over my head - way over. So, given the fact that I've already "built my app in my head" and that I'm impatiently trying to put it in action, I wanted something quick to get me there, because like my virtuoso guitar solos "in my head," my product is not quite performing like it is in my mind's eye. So I looked for help doing what I normally do - buying a bunch of books that I never read (I have a whole library of books on various "teach yourself" topics). Fortunately for me, as of this post, there were only a few that were geared toward someone like me, and only one that was dedicated to the iPad. I say fortunately for me, b/c I've never been a fan of the "Dummies" series, but picked this up b/c it was all there was. I'm thanking my lucky stars.

//BEGIN REVIEW//
This particular book is about as much - no, even more - than you can expect from a book introducing something like Objective-C, the iPhone SDK/xcode, and Cocoa Touch to an absolute programming "dummy". Again, in typical fashion, I quickly glossed over the beginning and tried to jump right into the "fun stuff". DON'T DO THAT. This book is so well organized and easy to read that you actually SAVE TIME by starting from the beginning and working your way through the examples and chapters. It doesn't take long at all. I've made my way through 3/4 of it in about 4-5 days (only in free time) and I can say that I'm not even the same person today that I was 4 days ago - it really is that good. The book is calibrated to someone who knows NOTHING about any of this, but yet it doesn't leave out the important things that everyone needs to know (e.g. the code examples). And when it's "glossing over" something, it tells you - exactly what someone like me needs. By the time you're 3/4 of the way through this book, you will understand about 3/4 of what you need to know to be dangerous with xCode/interface builder, and the rest of iPhone SDK. Unfortunately, that 3/4 is not enough to get you to that killer app - and that 1/4 remaining is where the wheat is separated. You will eventually need to learn Objective C programming. BOTTOM LINE: if you want a quick orientation into iPad/iPhone programming, enough to orient you and set you on course, this is a GREAT start. With this foundation, you can easily build your skills in no time using additional resources which I mention below. The same thing is true if you're new to Objective C but you've programmed other languages, such as C++. Only for those like that, you will get even more out of this book. I can't recommend this enough.

I will update when my killer app is online!!!

//END REVIEW//

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: If you are a beginner like me, I suggest you get a book on Objective-C and one on Cocoa Touch Programming, in addition to this one. Now, based on what others have said here, I avoided Neil Goldstein's book on Obj-C, but I am now strongly reconsidering after reading iPad for Dummies. That said, I'm also reading "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen Kochan and that has been invaluable for filling in the gaps; it's outstanding for the total beginner. I also picked up Sams Teach Yourself "Cocoa Touch Programming" in 24 hours which has been pretty good, but assumes some very basic knowledge. I usually read a chapter or so of each book at a time and find that this pace seems to work. I also downloaded all of Apple's videos which are so so. The MUCH BETTER series is done by Stanford and is available free on iTunes U - definitely download those for additional help. There are other resources too, but start with iPad for Dummies and build from there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 28, 2010
I just couldn't get interested in the iPhone - the small screen size just turned me off entirely and the pricey, locked in data plans didn't help either. When Apple announced the iPad I immediately saw the potential, ordered a 3G iPad (not shipped yet as I write this review), and set out to learn to program in the iPhone/iPad SDK.

Toward that end, I've been reading stacks of iPhone development books and while many of them are very good, none are as good as this as an overall introduction. That it focuses on iPad is important to me, but even without that focus I would still be praising this.

What I found most valuable were the chapters devoted to explaining how an app all fits together - what does what, when and how. That explanation has been missing from every other book I've read - hinted at, but never spelled out step by step. That's very important for someone like me just coming into this world.

I was also very appreciative of the advice about not thinking of the iPad as just a larger iPhone. I realized that already, but concrete examples really hammered that point home.

(Interestingly, the app I have in mind needs too much screen real estate to run on an iPhone, but the iPad is really too big for it - the book made me realize that I need to rethink the design completely.)

I noticed that the reviews of the authors "iPhone Application Development For Dummies" are a mixed bag and I assume that the same wide range of "love it/hate it" will be seen here. As a rank beginner who has never done ANY programming of this type (all command line apps before this), I'm firmly in the "loved it" camp. No, it doesn't tell me everything I need to know - what does? It DOES give me a very clear roadmap and introduction and does so much more effectively than anything else I have read so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far, so good...but for what level programmer???, March 4, 2011
ive only just started this book, and have been, pleased with what it IS teaching me. I do have to say tho, that the book/summary/cover should more clearly state who it's geared toward.

page 2: "...you dont need any macintosh development experience.....we expect you to come as a clean slate..."

BUT

page 4: "this book assumes that you have some programming knowledge and that you have at least a passing acquaintance with object-oriented programming, using some variant of the c language."

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fluff in the first 140 pages or so, June 2, 2011
The first 140 pages or so are all about why the iPad and the iOS is so cool. If I bought this book I already think it's cool. I felt like I wasted a lot of time reading the first part. After that it gets into actual meat and potatoes; the programming and design in Xcode. It makes a few assumptions (probably rightfully so) that the reader has a good understanding already of Objective-C and Object Oriented Programming concepts. If you don't have a good grasp on those two topics first then you should get Objective-C for Dummies and establish a strong understanding of OOP. After that it seems to move pretty quickly. I'll admit I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did Objective-C for Dummies. I'll likely use this book as a reference for anything I need to do for the most part. All in all, it's a good book; worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Introductory, But for what?, December 1, 2011
This book does have some high quality information, does a fairly good job explaining iOS and a great job explaining AppStore policies and such. This book WILL give you enough information to get started working on an iPad application and provides some background to Objective-C.

And you definitely can this book as a foundation to get started with iPad development.

Now for what I feel is wrong with the book ... the book lacks a lot of meat for 500 pages.

Approximately half the book is dedicated to developing a single "Google Maps Airport App". That space could have been used for other sample applications illustrating the development of other types of apps. And a great deal of the book's content spends the time describing factors that cause apps to succeed and factors that cause apps to fail --- which is nice --- however this is a development book, not a marketing book and I felt those were filler material tangents away from the theme of the book which was development.

And there wasn't quite enough development in the book for 500 pages.

The book Sams Teach Yourself iPhone Application Development in 24 Hours (2nd Edition) (Sams Teach Yourself -- Hours) although 150 pages longer, contains about 20 sample application walkthroughs.

[Note with the release of iOS5 in October 2011, both this book and the book I found more useful are a bit dated as iOS5 is quite a bit easier to develop in.]

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not sufficient., April 9, 2011
I have an extensive background in programming in "C", "C#", and Visual Basic 6 so I wanted an introductory book covering the essential high points necessary to migrate that experience into the Mac programming platform and Obj C 2.0 as it applies to the iOS devices. This book does fairly well at the former but fails at the latter so it really isn't sufficient in itself to learn to write serious software for the iPad.

At least two other books are necessary for a more complete understanding: One covering Objective C 2.0 and one on using the xcode program set on the Mac platform.

I have Programming in Objective-C 2.0 - Kochan, Stephen G. and Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Hillegass which gives a pretty good intro to Xcode/Interface builder programming for Xcode 3.x. (I haven't looked at Xcode 4.x yet, but I will soon.)

If you are a true neophyte to programming on the Mac platform don't expect this book to provide all of your needs. It is a pretty good introduction, however, and when coupled with other books is "OK".

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the greatest book out here, September 25, 2011
H. G. Holmes "book hawk" (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I've spent plenty of money of various xcode programming books and they are all great, but for the beginning programmer introduced to ipad/iphone application programing, this is the one. Every word the authors speak comes from experience as you read through the chapters one by one. You even want to say, were is the programming, but the authors know just at what point you are. Please, if anything, buy this book first, then all the others will come into place.iPad For Dummies, 2nd Edition (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, June 27, 2013
A Great starting point, If you understand iOS. Great reference going from iPhone to iPad. Neil Goldstein really Hits the nail on the head

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 28, 2012
Just recently bought this book and I am pleased with the content. If you are looking to get into the app development game this is a great book to add to your library.

1.0 out of 5 stars iPad Application Development for Dummies., March 5, 2011
Hardly a "For Dummies"

Overly complicated and jumps all over the place.

Less attempts at humor and more "Dummy" instructions.

Would not recommend.

iPad Application Development For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
Used & New from: $0.01