Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on May 19, 2012
I am not great at writing book reviews but I'm going to try with this book. I bought my first iPad two months ago (3rd generation) and I was reassured at the time that it was an "intuitive product" and very easy to learn all the details as I went along. What my Son, daughter-in-law and 3 grandsons didn't know was that for me "intuitive" was not good enough. Sure, I could turn my iPad on, adjust the volume on a video, make pages larger or smaller, search the net (Safari), buy some interesting apps and load up on some free ones.

But how do I lock the screen so it stays horizontal, not vertical? I bought a Brookstone keyboard and iPad cover (LOVE IT) to use for typing letters and documents so I want to decide where my screen stays. And now that I have 200 fun apps how do I organize them into folders on my home page so I don't have to spend 5 minutes figuring out what page to scroll to for "photography" apps or where all the "Blog" pages are (yes, I have them divided by politics (conservative, libertarian, liberal). And I have Blogs that are economic, house related, entertainment, games, medical, financial, etc. and they have their own sub-folders in the main folder. Organized for my convenience thanks to this book and one other "My iPad." And thanks to these two books I can actually learn at my pace what I want and need to know.

This book is well written, explains things easily and the author has a wonderful sense of humor. TY for writing this book!
on June 5, 2012
This is a superbly written and illustrated operation manual that covers the three versions of the iPad now available. The easy style of writing together with easily understood and well-explained steps, methods, and hints make it a pleasure to read and quickly acquaints the reader with the many functions, features and shortcuts that increase the enjoyment of using this terrific device. Worth every penny of the price. Get this book first so that you won't miss anything when you setup your new iPad.
on August 24, 2012
Some can say that the iPad transcends the need for a user manual. While I want to agree, iPad: The Missing Manual is a great book for iPad users looking for an overall reference or those that want to fill in some of their knowledge gaps and learn something new that they may have missed in their tinkering with the tablet.

The book is a good soup to nuts introduction to the iPad with the first three chapters covering the basics of iPad setup, a tour of the iPad's major parts, and the basics of interacting with the iPad. Chapter 3 is a must read for new iPad users who may not be familiar with finger moves and gestures. More experienced iPad users should get something out the chapter's coverage of using voice and using keyboards for interaction and inputting information.

Chapter 4 is another standout part of this book especially for readers who may not be as familiar with iPad online options like cellular and Wi-Fi especially if they aren't a longtime iPad owner lucky enough to be grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. The one thing missing in the chapter is how to monitor your data plan usage, something a newly minted first time iPad owner is going to have to get familiar with real quick if they want to use cellular data and not break the bank.

The rest of the book does a solid job at covering web surfing, using email and messaging, productivity and organizations, and shopping in the App Store. There is also extensive coverage of reading iBooks, music, videos, iTunes, and synchronization with iCloud.

The book ends out with an appendix about troubleshooting and care information. While good in its own right, I would have liked to see some coverage of some of the more notable online support sites for the iPad like what help content is available in support.apple.com and some of the leading third party iPad sites out there.

Lastly, J.D. Biersdorfer has a friendly and approachable writing style that can even reach more novice technology users wanting to learn more about their shiny new iPad. I recommend this book to new iPad users and even more experienced iPad users who are wondering if they are missing something and not getting everything they can out of their iPad.
on June 9, 2012
Another great book in the Missing Manual series. They tell you everything you need to know to get your iPad up and running (and a lot more), and make it fun to read.
on July 1, 2012
Being a new iPad user, I felt some type of manual would be helpful. I have purchased "Missing Manual" for other products and thought this would fit my needs. What I learned was that the iPad3 is very intuitive and a great deal can be learned simply by "jumping in" and playing around. While I learned more on my own, the iPad Missing Manual was helpful with little tricks and tips you are likely not to learn on your own. All in all, worth the expense.
on August 8, 2012
This manual was very helpful after buying my iPad. Anytime I had a question I always was able to find the answer in this book. It took away some of the stress of owning a new iPad. I didn't have to look for a phone number or wait for a response from an Internet site to continue working on my iPad.
on May 21, 2012
Bought an iPad 3. Needed a users manual. Tried to order. Got a message from Amazon that it was not yet released. It needed to be specific to iPad 3. What we got was a quick redo of the iPad 1 and iPad 2 book. Very little re new IOS and demise of MobilMe/force to Cloud. An out of date repackaging. This author is always smartmouthed but this is a quick make a buck make-over. NOT worth the money. Go to Apple for the users manual.
on May 28, 2012
I am one of those that is of the opinion that the iPAD is so easy and intuitive that a manual isn't necessary. But a friend told me that she was reluctant to buy an iPad, because it didn't come with a useful manual. I explained that a manual really isn't necessary, but since she is about 70 years old (I am a scant 67), she said that she would be lost without an old-fashioned manual.

So, I told her, "Buy the iPad!" And I bought her the manual as a gift.

I haven't read the manual, but I thumbed through it. My guess is that it is an appropriate "buy" for a 70-year-old, who thinks that anything technological needs to have a manual with several hundred pages.

My suggestion would be to buy the iPAD, and, if you can't figure it out, buy this book. It will have everything you need to get the most out of your iPad.
on September 24, 2012
Can't find ANY reference to "archives", what it is, what it's for, how to access it...
Don't like the breezy "funny" style of writing.
Too much emphasis on iTunes and games.
on January 19, 2013
Well-written informative and actually came in handy. Great for a novice just starting out. I've had my iPad for two years and still saw some neat tricks that I was not aware of. I purchased it for my wife as a Christmas present with her new iPad. She is a visual learner so she likes it