Format: Paperback
Whether you're still considering becoming an iPad owner for the first time, have just broken the seal on your newest iDevice, or have had your new iPad for a few months and would consider yourself to be something of an apple genius, this book has something to offer you.

I probably would have thrown myself in that third category (somewhere beyond basic competence), but then again I thought that about my iPhone proficiency before checking out its missing manual (iPhone: The Missing Manual) and ended up learning how to use features I didn't even know existed. So I assumed that I probably didn't know as much as I thought about the iPad and picked this guide up. That assumption turned out to be very right.

This book is the most comprehensive guide for the new iPad that I've ever picked up. It covers virtually everything you'd need to know from the time you take the iPad out of the box through the day you restore its factory settings and sell it to the kid down the street. The Missing Manual is broken in 16 chapters which seem to flow logically from an overview of the iPad and how to interact with it (a nice beginner level introduction that makes the book approachable for even the most novice iPad user), to getting online (and everything that comes with it like messaging and email), to working with apps (both built in and selected third party apps), to music and iTunes, and finally to taking, editing, and sharing photos and videos. There's also a quick chapter on using iCloud to back up your data and two appendices that look at general settings and troubleshooting your iPad.

I'd like to say this book is absolutely comprehensive, it certainly feels like it is, but given that I had apparently only scratched the surface of the iPad's potential I probably don't have the authority to support such a claim. What I can say is that this manual is incredibly thorough and I haven't read a single section (except maybe the intro sections) without learning at least one new thing. I'm discovering features I didn't know existed or knew existed, but didn't realize how powerful they were (iMovie has a lot more to it than I knew), I'm also finding short cuts that make the apps that I already knew (or thought I knew) everything about run more quickly and efficiently, and I'm picking up explanations that make some of the iPad's quirks easier to understand and deal with (one example of this was the explanation of video file formats, which ones are usable on the iPad, and quick reviews of a few third party applications to convert your existing files).

If you've read any of the Missing Manual series in the past you won't be surprised by the layout, content, or general writing style found in this book. Like other Missing Manuals the book has a lot of well-written, witty narrative to go along with the how to step-by-step guides and high definition pictures. I like the narrative, parts of it are funny and it gives the author a chance to give opinions about options and features (on things like picking out data plans, deciding whether to use the built in photo editing software or buy a third party app, selecting cables to hook your iPad to the TV, etc.). For me the narrative helps keep me engaged and provides some valuable information that you don't get in some of the more strictly how to guides (Teach Yourself VISUALLY The new iPad (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))). It does however add some bulk to the book and might slow you down if you were using the book only as a reference as sometimes the how to can be a little mixed into the commentary and hard to find.

With that said the book could certainly be used as a reference. The table of contents is quite specific and the index of the book is huge (17 pages of terms). I did a few test runs of the index searching for Twitter, pinch, red eye correction, and Skype and actually found all listed even though Twitter and Skype are third party products. My test probably isn't statistically and scientifically valid, but it gives you a bit of an idea that you definitely could use this guide without trying to read it cover to cover.

***
Final Thoughts:
*Every bit as thorough as I could hope for
*Easy to follow guides with helpful pictures
*Great commentary that makes it a very readable and enjoyable guide
*An index that's as thorough as the book itself making it a usable reference guide as well
*Well worth the money

**5 stars
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
Apple has unbelievably sold more than one hundred million iPads, however, as the case with most computer products today, you won't find a printed comprehensive manual included with your purchase of this fantastic tablet, although you will find a little card that is difficult to read with little information. We all know how frustrating and time consuming it can be when we don't have a friendly manual to refer to and this is why O'Reilly Media has come to our rescue with J.D. Biersdorfer's iPad the missing manual (5th edition).

Biersdorfer is a New York Times columnist and the bestselling author of previous editions of iPad The Missing Manual as well as other Missing Manuals.

With this informative guidebook readers will now be able to easily find numerous fascinating iPad features which are conveniently organized by task and topic spread over seventeen chapters and 2 appendices which concern settings and troubleshooting.

Topics covered include setting up and touring the iPad, interacting, getting online, surfing, keeping in touch with email and messaging, organizing apps, purchasing from the App store, reading iBooks and ePeriodicals, game playing, getting productive with iWork, syncing and sharing media files, mastering iTunes, managing and playing music and other audio, watching creating, and editing videos, view. Shooting, editing and managing photos, backing up and syncing with iCloud.

Throughout the book the author employs a short hand system for part of her instructions keeping the manual user friendly and helping you get the most from the manual. There are also references to websites that offer additional information and resources.

Before I picked up a copy of iPad the missing manual (5th edition), I was familiar with some of the iPad's capabilities, however, I have to admit that I was not taking full advantage of its "coolest" attributes. For example, I had no idea of the unbelievable free goodies found in the App Store. Once I downloaded these apps into my iPad, the manual showed me how to organize them, making my life much simpler in tracking them down.

Other helpful chapters included using Facebook in the iPad, getting video on the iPad, sharing it and even learning how to play iPad videos on my TV.

Another extremely informative chapter was the one dealing with reading iBooks and ePeriodicals on the iPad. Readers are shown how to download the iBooks app, how to browse and search for books, purchasing books, finding free iBooks, syncing books with iTunes, reading iBooks, changing the type in the ibook, searching the ibook, using the dictionary, creating bookmarks and margin notes, using iBooks textbooks, deleting or rearranging iBooks, subscribing to ePublications, and finding newspaper and magazine apps.

With my high-resolution color touchscreen, the iPad now takes the eBook and ePeriodical experience to an amazing new level. The same can be said for the videos you can watch on the iPad from the various news channels including those found in Youtube.

If you are into photography, you are going to enjoy reading the material concerning viewing, shooting, editing and managing photos. This chapter covers getting pictures onto your iPad, using the iPad camera, taking photos with Photo Booth, finding pictures on the iPad, editing photos, using iPhoto, playing slideshows on your iPad and TV, changing the Ipad wallpaper and turning the iPad into a picture frame.

What makes this guidebook really stand out is its lack of clutter, clear explanations devoid of technical jargon, its clear organization, and the author's vast knowledge of each of the topics. You can't ask for anything more.
VINE VOICEon December 18, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Techno-geezers will remember that there once was a time when you opened up the box containing a new device, and you found a comprehensive, well-written instruction manual. Those days are gone forever, and today, we're lucky if we get a tiny quick-start card that doesn't contain much more than the link to a downloadable manual-- which might cost us $10 worth of ink to print.

The thing is, we still need those manuals, and the "missing manual" series of books fills that need. This book is an excellent addition to that series.

It is by far the the most readable and most comprehensive guide for the new iPad that I've seen. It's not easy to write documentation that meets both of those criteria, but J.D. Biersdorfer does it. Everything you'll need to know-- from the moment you open your new iPad's box to that moment you hope you never experience when it appears to be dead-- is here. And it's all written in clear English and illustrated with screen shots. The material is arranged in a very logical order. I can't think of a single thing I wished were in the book, or a single thing that I wished were left out.

I own a first-generation iPad, so I'm very familiar with the basic operations of the device. However, the new iPad is several evolutionary steps beyond that machine. If you have the same experience I had with this book, there's something about the iPad or IOS 6 on nearly every page that you'll be surprised and happy to find out about. It's best to read the book with your iPad powered up so you can try the settings and operations you're reading about.

I own several other "missing manual" books, and this one meets or exceeds the standards the rest of the series sets. My bottom line: If you want a comprehensive yet readable guide to your new iPad, you can't possibly do any better than this book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I purchased this book along with an iPad 3 for my mother - an iPad novice.

The book provides simple instruction on how to set-up the iPad (and with this version of the book the iPad mini), syncing it with iTunes, shopping the iTunes Store, reading books on your iPad, organizing the homescreen on your iPad, emailing with your iPad, creating and sharing videos, interacting with your iPad using things like FaceTime, troubleshooting and much, much more.

Well laid out and written in a laid back style, it's not a book that intimidates the reader, but rather one that seems like an old friend showing you the ropes with a lot of encouragement as to how easy it really is to use it. It's a great book to read from cover to cover when you get your iPad, and one you'll reach for as an easy reference that never lets you down.

I'm VERY impressed with this book as a 'How-To' reference that's easy to read and understand for all ages. I'm sure my mother (who is in her 70's) will have no problems finding what she needs easily and understanding the explanations and directions given in this book when I'm not around to 'help'. I wouldn't be surprised if in pretty short order she's educating me on the nuances of the iPad from things she's studied more closely than I have from iPad: The Missing Manual!

This book is the best iPad reference book I've seen for novice and intermediate users, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone who really wants to get full enjoyment from their iPad or iPad Mini.

UPDATE: 1/18/13

My Mom has had this book since Christmas and has read it cover to cover, as well as using it as an easy reference from time to time. She LOVES it, and I can say that calls or emails about 'how do you...' have nearly ceased thanks to this book. When she does ask, I reply "Have you checked your book?", her reply is always "Oh, that's right... I can do it."

This book builds confidence in new iPad users, which is great stuff!
on January 10, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is the best user's guide on the iPad I've seen. It's organized so that topics and sub-topics are clearly divided and labeled so that users at any level can get what they want out of the book. If you just want to use the basics, it's pretty obvious what pages you can skip. If you want everything, it's there. It's not "iPad made simple" because it isn't all simple. There's lots of detail there if you want to get into it all. In particular, syncing, with all its varieties and complexities, appears again and again, but you can skip it if you really don't care.

The iCloud shows up everywhere, and my only complaint about the book is that perhaps iCloud detail should have been concentrated in one chapter rather than telling you how to get a free iCloud account in every other chapter. However, given the lack of information on iCloud in some other iPad books, it was good to learn about it here.

The style is easy to read, chatty for variety but not silly or wasteful of your time. Each sub-topic starts on a new page, and none is more than two pages long. That makes it easier to read and easier to use if you're going back and looking for a specific subject.

The book apparently had to be published to coincide with the latest version of iPad, even though the new version of the iTunes program wasn't quite out yet. The updated chapter on iTunes 11 available on the web is good, and it essentially replaces a couple chapters of the book.
on February 3, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I purchased this book to help me with my first IPad and I'm disappointed. I've made it to page 14 (Tour iTunes) and I'm already stuck. Version 11 of iTunes was released after this book was published and the editors have posted a supplement online: this update is 55 pages long! The font is small and the graphics are fuzzy.

I bought this book so I would not have to sit at a computer screen reading an online instruction manual. This book was out of date before it was published.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
When I got my iPad 3 I was shocked at just how little documentation Apple provided with the thing, just a little photo card showing the on/off switch and a link to the online manual in the Safari browser (wouldn't have found that if I hadn't read about it in a magazine). The manual (I also downloaded a PDF file version from an Apple email) is pretty much a joke, if you have a question don't even bother looking through it, almost invariably you won't find an answer.
This book, on the other hand, is divided into a variety of subjects and chapters that Apple didn't even bother to cover- with pretty good color pictures to show you what to look for.
It's a pretty good book, Apple ought to pass out copies, but in skimming through it I wish some things went into greater detail and nothing at all on some subjects- it makes me wonder how much is given too little detail.
# 1 I find nothing on cleaning the screen. I've read elsewhere don't use glass cleaners- use a damp, soft, cloth.
# 2 Nothing said about running on AC power full time. You can do it and that's another of those "read it elsewhere" items (you'll want a longer charge/sync cord though- Amazon sells them).
# 3 Appendix B iPad Troubleshooting and Care gives tips for resetting or restarting apps or the iPad itself. Be very careful with that stuff, the information is very limited. I once called Apple tech support because the App Store function had crashed, they got me restored to use but it was much more detailed/ complicated than stated here.

I bought an iPad because it was supposed to be "easy" to use and I don't, even now, own a PC- this book especially in detailing the various iTunes details- assumes you have something to sync with (I will eventually) you can get by without a PC but I guess it would be a good idea.
on January 28, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This manual is very helpful. It is close in content to the Apple Ipad user manual but with maybe a little more in dept explanation. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because for a beginner, the manual still needs to explain more getting started and setting up steps that seem to be taken for granted. A true beginner cannot take anything for granted and it is frustrating when you don't know what to do next or try the same thing several times not getting any results.
on January 5, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
this book is really the missing manual-as a new i pad owner with limited technical knowledge i found this book more than helpful-it answered all my questions and provided needed training. Apple should include this book.
on June 5, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
This book, although pretty good, is not NEARLY as good as the other book in the series: iPhone: The Missing Manual. These devices have basically the same operating system and are about 90% the same. The iPhone book covers more areas in greater detail, with more illustrations. The translation from iPhone instruction to the iPad is almost invisible and where it is not, it is very intuitive.

Skip this book.