5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inspiring! (from an app developer)
I've read the book all the way through several times. Great info, very INSPIRING, even for an app developer like myself!

Published on March 16, 2011 by James Grote

3.0 out of 5 stars Sill Accessing
My initial reaction to this book is underwhelmed. But I am giving it a bit of leeway because I have just set it aside for now. The way it is organized does not suit me, so I need to re-access when I can sit down with and and give it my undivided attention. When I am looking for inspiration or a tutorial, I like "bites" that I can take and run with, then return...
Published 17 months ago by anotherpaige

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inspiring! (from an app developer), March 16, 2011
James Grote (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iPhone Obsessed: Photo editing experiments with Apps (Paperback)

As the developer of the LensFlare app, I've spent many hours playing with different iPhone apps before getting this book. Now that I've read it, I'm even more inspired to try new techniques. This isn't just a gallery of photos, it delves into numerous examples discussing how and WHY techniques are done.
I'm especially impressed by the use of multiple LAYERS. I'm used to thinking in terms of a single photo with processing applied to it, but this book really opened my mind to the use of layers. There's lots of great techniques and examples on adding different layers, with each serving a different purpose.

Finally, this isn't just a book. It's more like a portal that leads to more information, videos and examples online or directly on your iPhone with the scan tags.

5.0 out of 5 stars Explore the possibilities, March 16, 2011
WOW. Finally, a book that feels like the future. Even the paperback is interactive. Dan's extraodinary images are showcased in a resource that demonstrate how to transform an iPhone snapshot into an iconic statement and a piece of art. Not only has Dan identified the top 45 low-cost photo apps, you can access 4 hours of tutorials on your smartphone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never knew what my iPhone could do!, March 16, 2011
A great tool to make the most out of your iPhone photo apps. Plus I love that you can scan bar tags and get more info. The images and writing are a real inspiration. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-Have for the iPhoneographer!!!, January 7, 2012
I got the Kindle version of this "book" and it's so cool! It has a ton of "how to" videos embedded, and I think watching a video about how to use a variety of apps to edit photos is a much easier way to learn than reading steps in a book and trying to duplicate on your phone. In fact I have the book on my phone and I go back and forth between the book, the videos, and the apps, practicing with each one after reading about/seeing it. The author covers a huge variety of excellent photo-editing apps, and the book is well worth the price. I am enjoying it greatly, and surprisingly found out a lot of new details about how to use apps I'd had for a while. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Tags, et al, December 9, 2011
I rarely write reviews but do so when something is really outstanding and this volume easily fits in that category. I am a new user of the iPhone and purchased it primarily for use of the camera and its many apps. This book is written in a wonderful, casual style. It includes a staggering array of diverse images with general instructions on how he achieved the effects (specific app names are always included in the order they were applied). If you are comfortable learning and navigating new apps, you'll be off quickly and experimenting with his many recommended apps which he details by categories/purposes. If you are not adept at learning apps and all their symbols, etc. (that's me) the tags in this book (there are many of them) let you view brief demonstration tutorials which the author has developed. This feature alone, for me, is worth the price of the book and then some; in just a few minutes I am using apps which would have taken mean a long time to fully understand. Be you knew to the iPhone and slow to learn apps or a long-time user who wants to see and learn how to combine apps into wonderful, evocative images, this is the volume for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration!, June 5, 2011
I was thrilled to learn of this book in a Peach Pit webinar and am even more thrilled with the inspiration Dan's insight has given me.

I did not often use my iPhone for taking photos, only if I didn't have one of my other cameras. However, now I'm taking photos every opportunity I get and am having so much fun using many of the apps Dan recommended. The book has allowed me to think "outside the box" and take photos of things I wouldn't normally give a second look at. It's amazing how I can "tweak" them.

One of the best things about the book is watching the videos of what you can do with each application. They provide much more information than you can get from iTunes.

Good job Dan! Cheers, Katherine

5.0 out of 5 stars iPhone Obsessed, June 4, 2011
"I have read this book not once but twice. it's got so many marks and
scribbles on it that it looks more like an NFL playbook for my beloved
Dallas Cowboys. Now my 14 year daughter, also iPhone obsessed, is curling
the pages on this great book. Love it. love it. love it!!!! Can't say
enough nice things about how you wonderfully crafted this content. It's
rich? Best book on the subject i have seen to date. I can't wait for the
Itunes version to come out. The 4 hours of added video content, via clever
tag readers was just awesome. You inspire me. Thanks so very much. This
book is a must read for any serious iPhone shooter!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting edge inspiration, March 16, 2011
The book is full of creative tips and tricks for anyone interested in image making, especially with the new apps available thru the iPhone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, December 22, 2013
Bill McClaren (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
At first I was disappointed that the author didn't go into more detail about the various apps used in the e-version of the book. But then I started watching the videos and was much more pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a visual feast, September 7, 2013
Great book. It's a delight just to look at the imaginative use of the iPhone camera to create artistic images. For someone interested in the photographic medium this book opens exciting new avenues of creativity. It will definitele get your creative juices flowing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

iPhone Obsessed: Photo editing experiments with Apps
iPhone Obsessed: Photo editing experiments with Apps by Dan Marcolina (Paperback - March 18, 2011)
$29.99 $21.32