iPod Touch apps - Kindle and nook ereaders I'm looking at getting an iPod Touch to use mainly as an ebook reader. Has anyone used both the Kindle app and the nook app from Barnes and Nobel? I want to be able to use both apps at the same time and buy books from both stores. I don't want to be limited to just one source.
asked by Amazon Customer on January 18, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 49 answers
A
I've read with it outside without problem. However, just like with any device the light play (where the light is in relation to you and the device) is going to factor in. There are multiple color options though, which may help alleviate any lighting issue. There is Black and White (Black Letters, White Background), White and Black (White Letters, Black Background), and Sepia.
K A Goode answered on January 24, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
To everyone, the Kindle reader for the iPod isn't nearly as full featured as a real Kindle, plus of course it's not as usable outside, and doesn't fit as much on screen at a time. I guess it would still be okay though to use for that (though remember that Amazon's DRM on their books stinks-as does everyone's AFAIK. Amazon doesn't let you deactivate a device).

Regarding backing things up, the iPod is SUPER restrictive-there's no way to copy files from your computer to your iPod or vice versa, except the limited number of types supported by iTunes (ie supported music and video files). There's no way to copy over books or documents or anything over USB (program developers for the iPod have to resort to weird hacks like running an insecure web server on the iPod that the computer can access across a wifi network).

Every time you connect the iPod, iTunes makes a backup of it-I'm not 100% sure if that backup can be restored to a different iPod, or only the same one, but individual files can't be backed up.

That said, you can use Amazon's "Manage my Kindle" page to retransfer a book to your registered device (iPod, Kindle, etc.) or download the file to your computer, but that file would be worthless for the iPod-there's no way to get books on it except over Wifi, directly from Amazon. (And you only get to put a book on at most 5 devices-even deregistering a device does NOT free the book up for a new device.)
WolfPup answered on April 27, 2010

A
All, a lengthy comparison of 4 devices follows: I have a Nook, and my husband a Kindle, I recently purchased the Ipad, and use an Iphone for quite a long time. I had read books on the Iphone with the Kindle and Nook apps, and that brought me to buying the Nook because the small screen gave me a headache after reading a long time. But I continually missed the ease of swiping pages, and how fluid the Iphone was at managing as an ereader. After a year I got the Wifi Ipad, and yes its heavier, but I love how it functions in the ereader department. Apple has an excellent Ibook reader app also. The color is outstanding and backlight to read in the dark, heaven. The best Pro: I can purchase and load all my previous and new books from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and the Apple bookstore all on one large reading device. It changes orientation with whatever angle I wish to hold it instantly, and the screen is beautiful and sharp, and displays beautiful pictures within the book. I do not suffer any eye strain, or headaches when using the Ipad. The cost was painful, but I love this device. Now I don't have to wait for my husband to finish a book to read it on his Kindle, it is right there on my Ipad. He is free to read on either Nook or Kindle, and I have WIFI set up in our house, so all devices sync up with the library of all stores. I am a tech geek, and love all devices. But Apple by far has the most pleasant fluid experiance, and I love the apps that Amazon and B&N made for the Ipad device. Battery for the Ipad is about 10 hrs, but charges really fast, so I just make sure I charge it so it is ready when I want my regular reading times. I know not everyone can have all these devices, but if you can benefit from my observation all the better. I in hindsight wish I had only purchased an Ipad. But then my hubby would never have converted to an ereader without being presented with a Kindle for our anniversary. So I guess it has worked out for us the way it unfolded. BTW, I am 56, and have to wear glasses to read. The IPad has been easier for me to read on than the e-ink readers. Hope that helps someone!
Stockdog answered on December 1, 2010

A
i want to buy an ipod touch or a nook. I can't decide because i really want a good, big ereader, without destroying my eyes. on the flip side, i want to listen to music, and i like to play games on the ipod....i just don't want to spend my money on something ill regret, cause i've worked hard for the money. So please help me guys.....thanks!
Co-Co answered on June 15, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I read books on my ipod all the time, whole books. I've never had any other reader. The iPod touch is fine to read on. You can adjust font and background/text colors. While a page on the iPod doesn't show as much as a page in a book it has never been a problem for me.
Amazon Customer answered on June 17, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, I have the Kindle app, the Barnes and Nobel app and Stanza on my iPod touch.
Works great.
Carol D answered on January 21, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks Carol D. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I've seen demo's on the Stanza and Kindle apps. Now I just need to head to an Apple store and see if I can read on the thing.

Thanks!
Amazon Customer answered on January 21, 2010

A
I downloaded the different readers--I feel the same way. Getting used to reading on the little screen, well, it is nice to read in the dark with the lights off. I am now trying to get used to reading with the scroll function (it goes too slow, and then, when I want to reread a passage, it still takes some thought on how to stop the scrolling).
Amazon Customer answered on January 22, 2010

A
Do you have to own a Kindle to read the kindle books on your Ipod Touch? I would like to be able to read books on my device but don't want to put out the cost of a Kindle to be able to do it.
Amazon Customer answered on January 23, 2010

A
No, you don't need a Kindle. Just download the Kindle App on your Ipod Touch and from there you can buy books that will be downloaded straight to the Ipod. I can read just fine on my 3G 32gb Ipod Touch, plus you can enlarge the print if you need to. It's great for when you're stuck somewhere without a book, or traveling, etc. and don't want to be bothered with carrying a hardback book.
Kathy answered on January 23, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   Next ›

See all questions about this product