Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

• Customer Reviews

on July 30, 2012
Great price for this light. I really like the dimmable ballast for when you don't need all that light or heat. Packaged well and has been working for me for about a month.

Update: Finally got done vegging and put in the HPS for flower and it wouldn't ignite. I was out of the return policy but left an email to the seller. They replied the next morning with a shipping label for the bad bulb and sent a new one out to my house. Awesome!
on October 7, 2011
I received this item in the mail and had it out of the box and setup in no time. Very very easy. My mh bulb was d.o.a contacted seller(growlightsdirect) and with in two hours had an email back saying they was sending out a replacement.
With that alone makes it worth it and you can feel safe and confident to buy from this seller.
The digital ballast runs very quite, you can barly hear it.
Came shipped it plain brown box with just my address on it.
Bulbs have no name brand on them but they are marked "super hps" and "mh"
If you are in the market for an affordable great product don't look any further buy it
22 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
I always purchase my expensive grow equipment online because of the price points. The local hydro store near you is almost always going to be 25-50% higher in cost when it comes to lights, tents, reflectors, c02 generators ...etc. This specific ballast actually provided me with better results than the 350$ ballast (just a ballast) bulbs and reflectors separate. At amazon with merchants like this you are able to grab everything you need in one purchase at a wholesale price. The bulbs that come with are certainly functional and provide with adequate wave lenghts for plant growth however, upgrading is advised if possible. The reflectors are also not the best by any means. Adjust a wings are what I prefer, but as a whole this kit comes equipped with everything you need to get going. I have ordered a total of 11 of these kits and I have never had a faulty bulb, ballast or socket. I highly recommend this product and the merchants who supply them.
on August 31, 2011
I saw the price on this setup, and thought I might take a chance on it, and I'm glad I did. I have had this on a timer for two weeks now, with no problems.
I like the dimmable feature. It makes it easier for me to have the option to slow everything down when these darn summer heat related problems start acting up on me, but that is my garden...
The ballast stays cool enough to put your hand on when running at 50 or 75%. It gets a little warmer when at 100%, but it doesn't seem like an overly hot temperature to me.

On a side note, I have heard that on all dimmable ballasts, running at 50% might take some life off the normal bulbs. Supposedly this is an issue for all dimmable ballasts. I had read somewhere that special bulbs made for dimmable ballasts are more suited for dimmable situations. But by reading their posts, it it seems that different bulbs work better or worse for different people with the same, or even different ballasts.
Well, here is my plan. Here at Amazon, I have seen a 250 watt hps bulb for less than ten bucks. To me, it looks like a more effective solution if I want to run a 400 watt ballast at 50%. I would imagine that the color temperature of the bulb could stay a little more true. Or at least I hope so.

But back to this light. I am really happy with it!
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
Works great. I've been using this ballast and set for over 6 months and I've never had a single issue with it. It's easy to use, set up, and works continuously. The light bulbs that come with it are PERFECT for indoor growing of green things :D
on February 11, 2012
This product works great! The shipping was earlier than expected. All the items were quality, and all of the items were included as advertised. I will be ordering from them again. Overall, I'm very happy!
on February 15, 2011
I was uncertain if I should order from this seller with only 2 reviews and 1 stating the reflector was bent.
I went ahead an placed my order hoping all would go well.
I was very pleasntly surprised when the light system arrived a few days after ordering and it was packed with extreme care with it's factory padded box packaged inside another box for safety.
It was in perfect condition, the bulb was intact and within 10 minutes I had it plugged up and operational.
The bat-wing reflector gives a great light spread for a few feet to either side.
I am extremely happy with this product and the seller.
I would recommend this seller and product to anyone.
It is also the best priced full setup available online in the 400 watt size with timer and hangers.
Truly a great buy:)
on July 16, 2012
My tomatoes were taking a beating due the heat, even though they are shielded much of the day from direct sunlight by a covered balcony. The buds kept falling off, and worse was happening to my eggplants; they weren't really growing much. I thought that improving the lighting would be the first step because they are being fed a good organic diet. The local organic farmers were also having problems with their tomatoes. So I couldn't just go and buy theirs...they didn't have any.

I purchased this system directly from the manufacturer after finding it here on Amazon, because I was concerned that one reviewer received a defective system. I also needed a few more items, like reflective sheeting, white plastic, a timer and bamboo stakes. I didn't have TIME to deal with a defective system -- my plants were hurting. So I called the company directly after placing my order.

This system arrived in great working order and was SIMPLE to put together. Essentially...it requires just putting in a few screws. You get 2 bulb, a digital ballast, 2 of the easiest adjustable hangers known to man, a ceramic socket w/ hanging brackets, and a bat-wing reflector.

Initially, I was a bit disappointed by this reflector's aesthetics. It's size and construction didn't WOW me. I thought it was a little small and flimsy. I was comparing it to a bat-wing reflector I was shown by our local organic gardener's supply store owner. His price point (self proclaimed to be the lowest I would find) was why I came looking online. So, I didn't think this reflector could do the job. Well...I was WRONG. This reflector casts a good deal of light, is VERY light in weight, and can be suspended from almost anything. I use it on my covered balcony because my plants do not get enough direct sunlight to properly grow. My tomatoes love the new light and my eggplants are now flowering and growing.

I paid way more for my first HydroFarm ballast and reflector, way back in 1993 -- and boy was it bulky and HEAVY. Not this setup. I am very pleasantly surprised at the iPower Grow system and will come back to order my next one.

By the way, the estimate I received locally to duplicate this system was over $430 before taxes...and that system only had one bulb (grow light). The owner was selling me a hybrid grow light which had both MH and HPS properties, and was only 400 watt. So, the iPower Grow system easily saved me $300 while giving me 200 more watts.

Note: this system is dimmable. So, if you are torn between the 400 watt and the 600 watt system, go for the 600 watt as you can always turn it down by up to 50%.
on March 14, 2012
I shopped around for the best system I could find at reasonable price, this is what Ifound. It is excatly as presentd in the add. Everythig came in perfect condition, hooked it up and works great. I would recomment this to anyone looking for a lighr system that is better than advertised in all respects. Also the ballast is quitet and runs cool. One Fantastic system, at a fair price.
on November 23, 2011
Excellent value! I love the dimmable ballast because I can control the amount of light to suit my needs. The only thing I did not like are the yo-yo hangers. They were a little tricky to figure out, and don't leave me feeling confident about their integrity. I will be buying rope ratchets to replace them. Other than that, I am extremely pleased with this purchase! The items would have cost more than twice as much if bought individually, so I can't complain about the smallest of the items. I just consider it a freebie. I highly recommend this to anyone on a budget who wants the get the most for their money!