4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, someone cleans the boy's bathroom
Published 9 months ago by Maia

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on tile floors
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:57 Mins
12/3/2011

This robot does NOT work on tile floors.

Tile floors become slippery when wet, so the robot just spins its wheels.

Published 9 months ago by online shopper

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on tile floors, January 21, 2014
Length:: 0:57 Mins

12/3/2011

This robot does NOT work on tile floors.

Tile floors become slippery when wet, so the robot just spins its wheels.

Another problem is that its bumper does not react to obstacles too well, so in addition to half the time stuck in the middle of the room (because of traction problems), it spends another half of the time against the wall. Maybe 10% of the time is spent actually cleaning. That puts a lot of load on tires, so I expect this to get worse over time. Wheel-spinning also confuses its cleaning algorithm, because the robot "thinks" it is moving in a straight line all this time.

I did not return this robot right away. I tried using it in different conditions: I thought of maybe keeping it, but a couple of months later it was clear that I can't use it like this, so I contacted iRobot Customer Service.

Now iRobot Customer Service...

After learning that this has been happening since day one, iRobot asked me to "clean" the robot, and see if that fixes it. (How?) After a couple of more e-mails they told me to contact iRobot Sales department to return it, which I did. Sales said I am "outside of 30-day return window" so they won't take it back.

If my robot is defective and they can't fix it I deserve a refund. If it is not defective, then this is a design flaw. Then why are these sold at all, and advertised as bathroom cleaning robots? (Bathrooms have mostly tile floors.) And why can't I get my money back?

To get iRobot a better shot at diagnosing the problem, I even made a video for them. But they don't let you upload videos because the file is "too big" for their servers. OK then, I used my own FTP server, but then they said that they couldn't play it. I guess I will post it here then so that everyone could see.

I own 2 Roombas, a "big" Scooba, and a Neato. This "small" Scooba 230 is the only one from my robo-cleaner fleet that disappoints me in any way, and it is a big disappointment.

Bottom line for the robot: useless, or nearly useless.
Bottom line for iRobot Customer Service: Not very helpful. I guess they deserve some credit as I eventually did get my money back (see update below).

Update 1/21/2012
================

I kept e-mailing iRobot posing questions to them, so my case got "reviewed" and I was sent a return label. The only down side is that after they have received the robot, it took me almost another 4 weeks (and 2 e-mails and 2 phone calls) to finally get the money in my account. So in the end, this experiment was at no (monetary) cost to me, which is good.

Update 1/21/2014
================
It looks like iRobot created a brand new web page for this robot, and made the old one go "out of stock" so that no one sees my review. I am re-posting this earlier review of mine from 12/3/2011.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just okay..., January 29, 2014
Stanley J. Lewis (Raymond, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
We've had this for about a month or two now. I wouldn't say it scrubs floors exactly, it more lightly sprays water on your floor and squeegees it up. There's a thin line of brushes on the bottom of the unit that you have to clean once it's run but these just seem to mostly pick up lint more than anything.

A battery charge is only good for one run and it takes an entire evening for the unit to recharge, so if you're going to do the whole house plan to do it over the course of the week.

Also if you let it sit for a few days make sure to keep the drain and fill plugs open, otherwise it'll stink terribly when you run it next.

But it works okay for regularly maintaining a floor, don't expect it to work wonders if you haven't mopped in ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, someone cleans the boy's bathroom, January 19, 2014
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
In December of 2012 I became a proud owner of iRobot 230. The purchase increased my fleet of washing and vacuuming iRobots to three machines. The described model 230, the 'Little Monster,' arrived to help the washing iRobot 390 called 'Mothership' to clean into hard-to-reach spaces in a mens bathroom. Having a separate machine allowed me to contain 'the boy's bathroom's' bacteria and not to drug it all over the house. We called the robot a 'Little Monster' because this tiny robot faces a serious job. The floors that nobody of us wanted to clean and nobody really cleaned even when they were paid to do it, today are cleaned twice a week. Despite that the 'Little Monster' chaotic bounces pattern of bouncing from one place to another, the final result of spraying a solution, scrubbing with a soft-like-eyelashes brush, and vacuuming-up the dirty water - pays off. It does cover all floors in that small room and generates black water. I took me four times to get to 'normal' dirty water. The Little Monster works fast on the tile and lifts the dirty water to the best of its ability. I didn't took one star down because of that. It's so little that after I did invested in a new nice mop, because some, here on the forum, suggested it. I didn't use it yet, because I really don't need it. The tile is fine and in a world of limited resources the machine does a great job. I didn't get the star down because occasionally, the machine stops with a glowing red 'error' signal. I have no idea what it is, but pressing a 'Clean' button sends the formerly confused iRobot goes on a second round, like nothing happened. What matters most to me, is that that stinky bathroom's floors are cleaned much more and on a drastically lesser budget. (The bathroom cleaning costs me less a dollar a day calculated from a guaranteed year of work, $250/365 days= $0.68). The 230 model proved as a great fit for the task of cleaning the small, crumped room. I will give the five stars to the Little Monster if it doesn't break in 11 month. I going to use it. As it compared to a hired help, requires lesser supervision, same after-cleaning, zero negotiations of a hourly-rate. I also like that the Little Monster doesn't give me a list of its favorite cleaning supplies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet thourough, April 7, 2014
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
I recieved my iRobot 230 and immediately plugged it into the charger, after a overnight charge I let it run and man was I impressed. I have two 10X14 rooms and a long narrow alley for my kitchen/bathroom. This little guy can cover every room in my apartment twice before finally being done.

After the first few uses I did notice that on his bottom tray there was a lot of build up from lint and hair, to be expected since he doesnt have a vacuum function and I didn't sweep prior. Because let's face it, you ordered or are ordering this so you do not have to do just that. I do have a robotic vacuum on the way that I purchased soley because of how impressed of this product I was. I also ordered another battery that I keep charged, just incase I want him to run through my apartment an excess of 6 times before he's done charging. I would Highly recommend this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars like it better than my bigger, older Scooba, June 25, 2013
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
I actually like it better than my bigger (older) Scooba. It's easier to fill and drain. With 5 dogs in our home, I'm always cleaning floors!

1.0 out of 5 stars I regret purchasing the Scooba, February 18, 2014
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
I sent Mr. Scooba to the e-waste facility after many battles to get it to work properly. It could not finish a small bathroom without running out of batteries and recharging took half a day. I replaced the battery and charger but did not notice any improvement in performance.

In addition, the Scooba could not handle the slightly curved tile pieces where the wall tile meets the bathroom floor. It would get stuck. It also scuffed up my cabinets and pedestal sink. In addition, it would not go on the far side of the toilet even though there was room for it to fit in.

I have an injured back and was desperate for this to work but finally had to admit to myself that it was a lost cause. I have a Roomba that works well, so this makes me very sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, August 5, 2014
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
After owning a Scooba 230 for just 8 months, the bladder failed, not sure what that means, but it will ot longer hold water. After spending $270 on the unit, customer support has offered me $50 towards the purchase of a new 450 Scooba value priced at just $599. Sorry, I don't see any value there. Why would I trust that the new unit won't fail? Sorry but I can not afford to be your R&D lab. It's back to the mop bucket for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars love my sooba!, November 28, 2013
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
this is great! first i use my roomba to vacuum the floor and then send in the scooba. perfect floors!

5.0 out of 5 stars works on 3 different tile types very well, April 23, 2014
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
This little guy does a great job on all of my tile floors which all very on space between tiles. Some reviewers stated their's would get stuck in between tiles but mine has no problems at all. It also gets under the cabinet overhang for basically edge to edge cleaning. I have to say it cleans better than I thought it would in my kitchen so my wife and I are pretty happy with it. I have a back problem so items like this improve my day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife is happy., January 4, 2014
This review is from: iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot (Misc.)
Cleans small areas well and larger areas ok. Make sure the floor is swept and vacuumed on large rooms. It can load up on hair and gunk on larger area. It is great when used regularly.

iRobot Scooba 230 Floor Scrubbing Robot