Published 8 months ago by The Lazer Viking

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes My Day
Published 11 months ago by Larry Torliatt

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle pill or a true stimulant, but good anyway. Let's break down what's inside..., October 28, 2013
This review is from: iSatori Energize All Day Energy Pill, Tablets, 84-Count Bottle (Health and Beauty)
This pill works, but I think some people are simply expecting too much from it. Yes, there are pills out there that can be ingested and a short while later, you're feeling wired and ready for action. Unfortunately, most of the pills in this category are either: illegal, prescription-only, harmful to your overall health, or some combination of the above. Even pure caffeine pills, which certainly keeps you up but is no replacement for sleep, has plenty of withdrawal effects and isn't the best for your body. iSatori Energize is not illegal or prescription only, and based on the ingredients alone, does not appear to be harmful to one's health, so obviously it will not give you the same kick that a Provigil (narcolepsy med) or Adderall (which is pretty much just speed, chemically speaking) tablet will give you.

That being said, this "Energy Pill" is actually more of an energy supplement. It gives your body the building blocks it needs to be active and productive all day. That being said, you can't sleep for two hours the night before and expect this to work its magic. Yes, there is a bit of "natural" caffeine in it. The natural part doesn't matter because caffeine is the same crystally white substance whether it's extracted from a plant or synthesized in a lab. The main difference between these tablets and a "NoDoz" or similar product is likely probably that these tablets don't have quite the same 200 mg (or "4 cups of coffee" advertised by those pills, which are based on weak-ish cups of regular coffee), and also the handful of vitamins and supplements that are meant to extend the wakefulness originally promoted by the caffeine throughout your day.

Let's take a quick look then, as to what's actually in here, according to iSatori themselves:

Tyrosine - an Amino Acid. Your body uses this to synthesize proteins. Ingesting it has been argued to have benefits under stressful conditions, but "Tyrosine does not seem to have any significant effect on mood, cognitive or physical performance in normal circumstances". Well, I guess it's not bad to have, if you're not getting it from any other sources such as chicken, turkey, fish, dairy, nuts/seeds, avocados, bananas... but I don't think it has any specific actual function in this pill.

1-Octacosanol - A fatty acid derived from plant waxes. It may show potential helping people with Parkingson's disease. It also may help inhibit cholesterol production through it's use as a component of Policosanol. However Policosanol itself has been dubiously linked with lower LDL "bad" cholesterol and higher HDL "good" cholesterol to begin with, and this is only a single component of it, so the jury is still out on this one. However, I still fail to see any connection to "energy" here.

Glucuronolactone - This is a popular thing to put in energy drinks as they claim it "detoxifies the body". Your spleen, liver, and kidneys already detoxify your body. There may be some truth to this, as there have been several studies done which show that this substance has moderate positive health benefits for your liver, will react with toxins within your body to help with their detoxification, and help form precursors for the TCA cycle, which is your body's way of turning your food into usable energy. So, overall, this is a decent choice of supplement to put into this pill. Though the "detoxification" does not directly help with energy, as iSatori seems to imply, the TCA cycle boost, though small, is positive.

Theobromine - A vasodilator (dilates your blood vessels, lowers blood pressure, helps get blood/oxygen/nutrients to where they need to go), diuretic (flushes water your of your system, makes you need to pee), and heart stimulant (obvious). The vasodilation also helps your memory and thinking, as it increases blood supply to the brain. Interestingly, theobromine has no bromine in it at all, but is rather named so after its natural source - theobroma - or a part of the scientific name for the cocoa tree from which it is derived. Also interestingly, theobromine is a natural byproduct of caffeine metabolism. I guess if iSatori wants to give you some of the benefits that caffeine would give you without actually putting a lot of caffeine into the product itself, having this compound in the pills would be a good way to do it. Too much theobromine can have negative health effects, especially on the sensitive or elderly, but I guess that's part of the reason you should never take more than 4 of these pills in 24 hours, as mentioned by iSatori. In the quantities in 1-2 pills, the theobromine levels are fine.

"Natural" Caffeine - This one's pretty obvious. Caffeine is a stimulant. It keeps you up. iSatori claims that their "naturally" sourced caffeine makes it super pure, which is appealing to the hippie/health nut nature of people. Technically, if the caffeine were synthesized in a lab, THAT would be the purest form of caffeine since there wouldn't be any extra plant products to have to separate from the caffeine. However, almost ALL caffeine is natural. It's simply easier to extract it from plants like coffee and tea than to make it "from scratch" in a lab. This makes the way they call it "natural caffeine" kind of misleading, but hey I guess they have to market this pill somehow. Overall, caffeine isn't too good for you. Overusing it dulls your memory formation, and I don't have to tell you the psychological and withdrawal effects it can have.

Rhodiola Extract - A plant extract. It MAY improve mood, physical and mental performance, and alleviate depression and fatigue, but not many studies have been done on it. There are a few sources with promising results, but you have to realize that before the FDA actually gives its stamp of approval on any drug, MANY different trials, from animal to clinical on humans, must be undertaken to prove safety and efficacy (which cost millions of dollars... which is part of why your drugs are so expensive. the other part is simply Big Pharma greed). Since this is a plant extract, you don't really need the FDA's okay, which is mostly fine in the safety sense, but then you can get companies claiming a HUGE benefit over a couple possibly skewed trials. The case here, however, isn't really a bad one. There really have been benefits seen with this plant in MOST of the studies (bearing in mind that some of the studies have also shown no benefit). Also, this plant has been used in Chinese Herbal medicine for centuries. However, the trials in which these benefits were seen involved people taking the extract for upwards of four weeks... so unless you want this pill to become a daily thing, this doesn't make a difference. I personally wouldn't want to use thee energize pills EVERY day, just as needed. However, Rhodilia does have quite a few health and performance benefits, so if you find a supplement pill with just that, go on ahead. It can't hurt.

Ginseng - Another "folk medicine" plant extract with a generally good reputation. Ginseng is pretty widely known as a stimulant and an aphrodisiac (especially for men "getting it up"). It can also be known to cause some temporary insomnia, so you can see how that "energy" link is there. However, in energy drinks themselves (and thus in these energy pills), the small-ish amount present has not really been shown to provide much of a benefit, if one at all. It may help, or it may not.

"Vitamin and Mineral Co-Factors" - well this includes quite a lot of different things, so I'll just list them and make a comment on each. Also note that in many cases, you don't really see benefits from vitamins unless you're taking them consistently for a little while:

Thiamine - AKA vitamin B1 - Used for many very important things in your body. Overall good to have. Deficiency linked to alzheimer's, beriberi, wernicke's encephalopathy, and other nasty things. FDA says you need just a couple (under 2)mg of it, but studies of questionable reliability have claimed that doses up to 50 mg daily increase mental acuity. These doses are safe, just not proven to actually do anything. Dose in here is about 5 mg per pill.

Vitamin B6 - another important vitamin. Lets you extract glucose from your glycogen stores. Your muscles use glycogen for energy, and in a short fasting state (no eating for up to 18 hours), your liver uses glycogen for energy after the freely available food energy has gone. Also has many other uses. This is the reason why it's probably in this "energy" product. Makes sense. However, if you keep up with your eating, should be unnecessary. Still, a good thing to have for your body in general.

Folic Acid - AKA Vitamin B9 - another important vitamin. Also used for lots of things in your body. Most relevant here is probably that it is highly utilized by red blood cells. Low folic acid leads to anemia, and anemia means your body isn't delivering oxygen effectively. RBCs are important for energy and for body function. Just think of Lance Armstrong and the other "blood doping" cyclists who freeze part of their blood and then get it transfused back into themselves right before a big race. All those extra blood cells transporting oxygen helps give them the energy they need. Good, functioning blood cells are essential for energy. Though I don't think having this compound in you will increase your mental abilities and efficiency, but having it available for your body IF NEEDED will help you out (a general trend I am seeing with these ingredients) A good choice for an energy pill.

Vitamin B12 - this vitamin plays a role in the metabolism of EVERY cell in your body.. AKA you need it to use energy efficiently. Having it available will ensure that this happens. If you already have it available, adding more of it with this pill won't do much good, but it won't hurt either. BTW, this seems to be the general trend with these ingredients. It's not something that will outright give you energy, but under the right conditions if your body is lacking in something, this pill will provide the basic ingredients to let your body help itself.

Magnesium - A very essential vitamin / element for your body. It plays a role in ATP synthesis. ATP is basically your body's "energy currency". If you already get plenty of magnesium, this extra won't do you much good, but it won't hurt. If you're like almost 2/3 of the USA according to one study and you don't meet the recommended magnesium intake, this could help you utilize your energy more efficiently.

So there you have it. Those are the ingredients. This is basically a "naturally" branded caffeine pill with some extra vitamins and ingredients that will help keep you a little more focused for longer. A lot of the extra vitamins and minerals are things you should be getting anyway with your food. However, as most people do not actually meet the recommendations for many of these vitamins, adding them with this pill should help. I think that may be why some people DO see a benefit with these pills while others do not. If you're not already missing something, you won't see much extra benefit with these pills over something like a caffeine pill. If your body is lacking some of the basic framework requirements to utilize its energy in an effective manner, then some of the ingredients in these pills will help you replenish those essential substances.

Overall, if a regular working caffeine pill was 3/5 stars, this would be a 4/5. Not a miracle, but a little bit extra.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes My Day, August 19, 2013
Thought it was a scam like most everything else on the internet but...this stuff works for me! I am a liver transplant recipient and I still take a few meds for my immune system and I would get tired earlier and easier than I should. I started adding Energize to my list of meds and supplements that I take daily and I notice a real difference! I take one with all of my other meds when I get up, excersize, eat, and then take a second one. I have a ton of energy from 5:30AM through dinner. I work with 4 guys in their 30's - 40's and keep up all day. We are in the commercial painting industry. I will be 67 this year! Try it. FYI...there is no "Crash and Burn" at the end of the day!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Energy, July 26, 2013
I like this product:) It gives me the energy I need to keep going working long hours and getting through the day. I'm a repeat buyer of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little extra boost.., October 25, 2013
Doseage is two tablets. I haven't had to take two. I take one and wash it down with coffee. Just right for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars No as expected, May 21, 2013
This is my second go round with energize. It seemed to work better the first time. It works in the morning but doesn't last all day as promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using this for years, June 29, 2013
I have a lot of experience with this product. This is a safe energy supplement, that does not give you jitters or makes you nervous. You can even sleep after you have taken a dose. I take 1 pill in the am, and 1 around 2pm. My only advice is to make sure you are going to be active, if not, you will be all charged up with nowhere to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like these, probably need to cycle, November 21, 2013
I should probably try something different, but these have become a staple in my diet. I don't drink coffee or really any caffeine so these kick start my day like coffee would. I usually take 30 minutes before heading to the gym. Not sure on effectiveness, I don't feel any kick after taking, but I might just be immune.

1.0 out of 5 stars didnt work, August 29, 2013
took the time to finish out the whole bottle and it never worked for me or my husband another waste of time and money

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, April 25, 2014
Works great with no crash! You don't get jittery! I use when I have to work long hours and helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars At 60, April 24, 2014
I'm at 60 and need a extra bit of energy,I found this product and so far like it a bunch. I've tried all kinds of stuff. In tell I find something better I'm staying with this.

Rate and Discover Movies