iTouchless Automatic Stainless Steel Pepper Mill and Salt Grinder
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Change
Price:$19.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 9, 2012
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
The reason I purchased these is because my old ones finally bit the dust (dang corroded connections, but they had a good run... sniff sniff). I searched in every store imaginable (I live in South Western part of Ontario, Canada, btw) and if I could find any at all, they were at least $60 CD per pair. I have fibromyalgia and often cannot operate a manual mill due to extreme pain.

This set is higher quality and less expensive than my burnt out one that was 5 yrs old.

It takes less batteries (old one needed 6 AAA this one needs 4 AA).

They have freakin' LIGHTS underneath which happily shine on your food so you can season to perfection (the grind is REALLY fine, another win in my books) and little lids to prevent the bottoms from being contaminated by whatever surface you place them on.

They are easy to open to change the batteries/refill.

These mills get 2 VERY enthusiastic thumbs UP!

The Man loves them too, although his vote didn't count for much to begin with. ;P

I'd also like to point out to Canadians that you should always check amazon.com after you check amazon.ca. I have yet to order from the .ca site because even after paying duty and shipping from the US, Amazon.com is cheaper than buying it from the stupid Canadian one, not to mention that the US site has WAY more choices. The only pitfall is that sometimes there were things I REALLY wanted to buy and couldn't due to shipping restrictions (DAMN YOU!). Canada, your retail sucks!
on May 3, 2011
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I am a kitchen gadget freak and when I saw these at a friend's house, I had to have them. I really love them. I have switched over to Celtic Sea Salt and this grinds it right up so my hard boiled eggs aren't crunchy! I love the little light on the bottom which helps you see how much you are using. I didn't realize they had covers over the bottoms and I don't care much for this feature. I often forget to remove the covers and then there is a mess when I take them off because I have been grinding away! The brand I saw at my friend's house did not have covers. But I did buy a set for another friend for her birthday and she was thrilled. Despite the cover issue, I would recommend these to others. They work very well and conserve sea salt by making it easier to use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2011
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
This salt mill and pepper mill set are working just fine. So far, so good. We had been looking for something like this for some time, but others that we looked at were really noisy. This set is much quieter than I thought it would be.
on April 13, 2013
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
We had trouble with our old pepper grinder so I decided to buy this set for my husband's birthday. It was exciting to see how they worked and even a little light to see how much you were putting on your food. We had fresh ground salt and pepper in an instant. I was a little disappointed in the very small compartment for the salt and pepper. They would have to be refilled often. Well, this is definitely a novelty since the batteries didn't last long. We were constantly replacing them. They are also tall and thin and a little top heavy so tipped over on our table plenty of times, jarring the batteries out of place. I would have to open them up and readjust the batteries back in properly each time. Then one day, they just didn't work at all, even after trying several pairs of fresh batteries! Died, just like that! This grinder set didn't even last 4 months!!! Outside of the return window, of course! Don't buy, you'll be wasting your money and still have to buy another set!
on December 4, 2012
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
After trying some manual grinders I thought I had found nirvana when I bought and started using these. I used the two as I assumed everyone would, one for salt and one for pepper. The grinding was smooth and it spewed out nicely ground salt and pepper as coarse or as fine as I wanted it for the circumstances. That is until last week. The pepper grinder is still perfect. The salt grinder however spins and clicks like the gears are stripped. Hmm, I thought maybe the coarseness adjustment was too tight. I tried to loosen it but it would not turn. At all. Neither direction. I assumed that the somehow the adjustment just got tighter and tighter. But now I don't think that was the problem. I took all the salt out and it spun fine, no clicking. I put the salt back in and it ground some then started clicking. I found that if I shook it up and down while grinding, I could get a teeny bit of ground salt before it started clicking again. I decided to loosen the adjustment with force. I removed all the salt and held the shaft with pliers while I turned the adjustment knob in the loosen direction with another set of pliers. It started to turn, or so I thought, but the metal shaft was twisting and then broke. I'm not a genius but I do know the difference between tighten and loosen and I was not tightening it. Remember I have the other to model from. I now believe that the salt somehow got in the threads of the adjustment knob and it totally froze up. We use Himalayan Sea Salt. Maybe it has some minerals that contributed to the problem.

Salt is very corrosive and I think that's what happened. I loved these little grinders and I just bought two more. My plan is to remove and rinse the adjustment screw shaft and threads every 6 months and then dry it before using again. While I do think these are still a great deal, I don't want to be buying a third set.
on April 19, 2014
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
Not amazing, but very nice, especially for the price. They get the job done and the light is a nice touch in low light situations. Adding salt/pepper or changing batteries is easy enough. The finish has held up well and they still look great.

The only two cons, if i had to pick them, would be that they are top heavy due to the batteries, and they struggle with coarse salt.

In regards to the coarse salt, if you "bump" it or pulse it instead of just holding it down it WILL get through it and probably keep going once you get it going. It also seems to have gotten better at grinding salt with use over time - or maybe moisture the salt has gathered makes it easier to grind? *see update below - new motor does not struggle*

If the light stops working, it's probably because it was put back together with the contacts on the wrong side. Done this a few times, but easily fixed.

**UPDATE 3/25/15**
These are still holding up pretty well with daily use, however I DID have a motor die in the salt grinder (actually it looks like the brushes burnt up - they were completely gone).
FIX: get a MOT2N, they're $2-$3 a piece. Now this isn't a plug in fix, you'll have to disassemble it, pull the gear assembly out, and SOLDER leads (or get small crimp on), but it is a CHEAP fix and relatively easy if you're somewhat capable with a soldering iron and a screwdriver. I ordered a couple extra for future burn outs.
* Make a note or take a picture of the gear layout so you can put it back together correctly. I laid them out in the order I took them out and reversed it when re-assembling.
* Take note of polarity, the wires are NOT color coded so it would be easy to mix them up when re-attaching. I did one side at a time.
* Don't over torque the screws or you'll strip the plastic! Just needs to be snug.
* The drive gear on the motor is friction fit, just pry it off with a screwdriver and push it back on the new motor.

FYI the new motor destroys salt now, where as it would struggle before, so this might actually be an upgrade! Will be interesting to see if that continues or gets weaker over time.
on October 21, 2011
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I was given these as a gift about a year ago and I have since purchased 3 more sets as gifts. The quality is great. I have never had any problems nor have any of the people I bought them for. The light is a bonus and really does come in handy. They are very well made and you would never guess they were so inexpense. Thanks iTouchless!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 31, 2012
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
I bought these to replace one that looked almost identical that had lasted over 10 years, when they came it was nice to see the change from a chrome looking plastic top to a brushed aluminum, better for finger prints, time will tell on cleaning. Another nice extra is that they have end caps, so any loose pepper after grind does not end up on the counter. Although I am still getting used to it having the cover and have ground a good share of pepper into it, but then you just sprinkle it over the food, no waste, just a duh moment. Of course you do not need to use the caps, so time will tell on that one also.

It takes 4 AAA batts and I would strongly suggest Alkiline (common Duracell or Eveready)as the motor needs some good cranking juice, if you use regargables I would go for NiMH, cheap batteries will not fair well, even new. In this model they have a battery retainer ring that hold the 4 batts in place, my old one I used a rubber band to hold them together.

OK, now to the real matter at hand, grinding pepper. I was a little worried when I read the reviews about the ability to adjust the grind, and perhaps it is just me but I found it had a pretty good range, from fairly fine, like what you might get in a regular pepper shaker to pretty big, great for salads and grilling.

Given my old one had a light on the bottom that was a must have feature, you would not think it would come in handy but it really does, especially on a fine grind onto dark colored food, it lets you see the flow rate very well.

These are fairly new, cost a 1/4 of what the other did from Sharper Image, and there are two of them so I have a spare since I rarely have need for fresh ground salt and for that I just use one of those McCormick Grinder/Salt bottles they sell. I used the other one nearly daily for over 10 years.

I saw a number of reviews noting a weak motor, and while it is possible to get a bad unit, I did not find the motor weak at all, however if you fill the hopper more than 3/4's full then you can expect trouble, it is not as much the motor being too weak but without room to jiggle around a little too many corns get crammed into the grinder and against the entire case and that is too much for the motot. The other main cause for what appears to be a weak motor are cheap batteries, given that you'll only change batts once a year or so, spring for some good ones, I use Duracell copper tops and they work fine.

So, great price, back-up unit if you use it for pepper only, good grind range, bottom light and cap, all makes for a pretty handy unit, and they really do look good also.
on July 10, 2013
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1
We purchased this set 5 years or more ago and these are still going strong...and still look brand new. They
have never ever given us one bit of problems so I am unsure of why people are having issues. I highly
recommend these (unless you're like my father, see below).

When the batteries get low (which is like once every two years or so) we notice that the pepper grinder
has a struggle but once we change the battery it works like a champ!

My father, whom only uses shakers and not grinders...ever, is NOT fond of these because he uses a massive
amount of salt and pepper on everything and hates to wait for the massive amount to grind. Needless to say,
he just grabbed our huge Morton's canister of salt and used that when we ate...(it was annoying). We aren't
the type to dump a teaspoon of salt or pepper on our meals so this set is PERFECT. LOVE IT!

These wash up nicely too. Every once in a while, I take dishcloth when cleaning my granite countertops that
has Windex on it and wipe off the exterior only and they look brand new....to this day!

Really love the light feature which has never failed us. You can see the grains of salt and pepper come out
easier (if you are paying attention) so that you know how much is actually coming out.

Wish they came in a copper or brushed bronze color, that is my ONLY suggestion!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2013
Color Name: SilverItem Package Quantity: 1Verified Purchase
The design is defective. I returned the original order and was furnished additional grinders. I have not been able to get any to work satisfactorily. I gave the grinder to a firm that designs products. They said it was a piece of JUNK.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations