Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Amazon Music with Prime Music forum

iTunes playlist upload on cloudplayer when iTunes is on external drive

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2011 7:17:07 AM PDT
I am wanting to upload some selected play list from my work computer. But it appears when itunes is on a separate drive it will not search itunes. It goes straight to windows media player media.

I have specified itunes folder to search and still no result. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want the playlist (with the music being uploaded) instead of just the music with no way to play with my playlist in amazon cloudplayer.

Posted on May 29, 2011 9:41:47 AM PDT
Will Clifton says:
same problem here. does not recognize itunes playlists when stored outside of default location

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 8:44:54 AM PDT
AdamH says:
i have the exact same issue. i can direct Amazon MP3 Uploader to the iTunes folder which contains the music as well as all iTunes files such as playlists but it will only find the music and none of the playlists show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 8:47:01 AM PDT
Will Clifton says:
i found a solution. Google music beta. automatically syncs with itunes. free 20,000 song storage. playlists work in this situation. i hope amazon gets this bug fixed though!

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 11:04:19 AM PDT
Matt J. says:
Also having the same issue. Come on, Amazon! Show some love and fix the problem!

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 1:58:53 PM PST
AugustFalcon says:
Same problem here among others --- duplicate uploads. If these guys want to buy or recommend Kindle Fire they should hire a real programmer and have them fix this program.

Google's Music Beta works great. That's what I'm using now.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 12:46:23 PM PST
Same problem - Found a work around solution that works for me, your mileage may vary:
Copy the iTunes library XML file to the "default" location.

Example for Windows 7:
My iTunes library for Amazon Cloud and iTunes Match usage is located in "D:\Music\iTunes for Cloud".
In there is a file that looks like "iTunes Library.xml". It may also be "iTunes Music Library.xml".

Copy that file to "C:\Users\<username>\My Music\iTunes\"
Replace <username> with the login user name
Important: !!!! May have to change the name the file to "iTunes Music Library.xml" !!!

Any changes made to the iTunes library requires the XML file to be copied over.
Run the Amazon MP3 uploader and it should read the library file and display the playlists for upload.

I use a batch file, with shortcut on desktop, to do the copy with a single click:
copy "D:\Music\iTunes for Cloud\iTunes Library.xml" "C:\Users\<username>\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml" /y

The /y is to silently accept the overwrite check condition.
As noted above, for me the XML iTunes uses is named "iTunes Library.xml" and gets copied over as "iTunes Music Library.xml".

Some notes:
* My main iTunes is filled with Apple Lossless files that were used to source an Internet radio station.
* The number and storage constraints are not conducive to Cloud use (yet, it's getting better)
* Playlists are made in the main iTunes of songs that need to go to the Cloud. These are kept under 1000 songs since that seems to be the limit for Amazon.
* These playlists are exported using a tool called iTunes Export (Google it)
* The exports are down converted using dBpoweramp to MP3 with VBR -v2 setting. This is, for my needs, a good compromise for space and fidelity sufficient for when I would need to use the Cloud or iTunes Match when direct access to the lossless files is not available.
* The MP3 files are added to the Cloud iTunes, the XML library updated, and Cloud uploaded.
* 2k+ albums in Apple lossless plus the Cloud MP3 files easily fits on a 1.5TB drive with plenty room to grow (recommend to RAID 1, 5, or other for backup and redundancy; if you're extracting to lossless you probably already have a data loss plan in place and are using Amazon, iTunes, or Google for on-the-go listening rather than backup and/or storage)
* For what it's worth, I also have the root of the MP3 converted folders hooked into Google Music.

Hope this helps you get from iTunes to Amazon and provides some insight into how to manage large libraries, including those containing lossless files, into manageable chunks for Cloud use.

Have a great day; and enjoy.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:32:28 AM PST
Jibbers42 says:
@Steve Thanks! That info really helped! To make it easier, you'll want to create a symbolic link and then you won't have to do any copying. The link will make it look like all the iTunes files are in both places, but they really aren't.

Something like...

* Run cmd as admin
D:\blah\blah> c:
C:\blah\blah> cd \Users\[username]
C:\Users\[username]> md "My Music"
C:\Users\[username]> cd "My Music"
C:\Users\[username]\My Music> mklink /D iTunes "D:\My Music\iTunes"

Now you have a "smart" shortcut or link from "C:\Users\[username]\My Music\iTunes" to "D:\My Music\iTunes".

If Library xml is really all that is needed and you need to do a file rename too, then a file link instead of a whole directory link might work better (I haven't tested this), something like...
mklink "C:\Users\<username>\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml" "D:\Music\iTunes for Cloud\iTunes Library.xml"

hth

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 11:38:17 AM PST
katwood says:
mklink "C:\Users\wade\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl" "\\S1\Music Portable\iTunes Library.itl"

this symbolic link worked for me. Jibbers 42 was close, but Itunes looks for an *.itl file not a *.xml file. My music is on a server named S1.

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 3:48:48 PM PDT
CamaeaER says:
My amazon cloud player does not recognize iTunes to export my music. I'm using the latest iTunes and window 8. As far as I know, I'm using the default folders. Anyone know what to do?

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 2:43:06 PM PST
How can I download music files I previously bought from Amazon to my iTunes library?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2015 7:28:30 AM PDT
D. Bryce says:
Problem still exists for me
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  May 18, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about