Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
What was your impression of Louie's "forgiveness letter" to Watanabe (the Bird)? I must admit I was very impressed with the story and Louie's transformation, the first line of the letter to Watanabe "As a result of my prisoner of war experience under your unwarranted and unreasonable punishment..." seemed a bit passive-aggressive for the start of a letter of forgiving (and honestly, who could blame him?).

It made me question whether Louie was truly able to put Watanabe behind him. It is one thing to say you have forgiven, and another to truly be able to forgive.
asked by No Name Required on May 18, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
I believe the transformation Louis had when he got saved absolutely was the beginning for him in forgiving his enemies. A wrong is still a wrong and what was done to Louis could only be, from the Grace of God, where that forgiveness came from. It's a matter of "hate the sin, love the sinner". He wanted to show Watanabe that he (Watanabe) was accountable for what he did to the POWs, but he forgave him. And it all gets summed up when at the end of his letter he writes, "I hope you will become a Christian"....that says it all. He meant that in love. He wants Watanable to be saved. Truly, he forgave him!
LMV answered on May 28, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
To me it seemed like a deeper level of forgiveness than most people ever offer. By writing it so descriptively and naming what was done to him, Mr. Zamperini made it clear exactly what he was forgiving. That's actually tougher than just saying "Oh, let's let bygones be bygones." or "Forgive and Forget." He made it clear he remembers what happened, and acknowledged that it did happen, yet he was still willing to forgive.
Debbie answered on May 31, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I agree with you totally, Hanna!
LMV answered on June 1, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the responses, yes, I see that the "hate the sin, love the sinner" is a difficult juxtaposition to deal with.
No Name Required answered on June 11, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Excellent comment - I couldn't have said it better!
David answered on July 3, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2011 6:18:19 PM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product