Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 3, 2014
Killed my Mac Pro upon installation. The night before my 8-core, 16gb, dual gpu, Mac Pro was busy doing 3d modeling. This card came in the mail, I put it in the machine as instructed while taking all precautions and my $4000 machine never booted again after trying literally everything. I get no chime after removing the card, and other components. I tried to reset pram, svc, and removing the cmos battery. The led diagnostics on my board no longer work. Only my fans turn on now. I contacted orico, but no one there speaks English and they are based in china. This takes the crown as the worst piece of tech I have ever bought. I will always hate this company now and am trying to rally support to start a class action lawsuit. I your Mac Pro or any other hardware was also destroyed, please leave a comment to my comment.
My youtube video on the subject ... http://youtu.be/kwspSGVBFVI
on January 31, 2014
I attempted to install this on a 2009 Mac Pro. I did a double take at the SATA to Molex power adapter as it seemed like the tabs that would hold the adapter in place seemed to have snapped off. When reviewing the instructions this is apparently done intentionally by the company, as the manual states (yes this is directly as it is written): "TheFixingSlipsofthe Connector on the PowerCableare beencutoff specialfor-MacPro . Plus they cut by Scissorssotheremains may not so tidy. We sincerely sorry for that and wish you can understand thatThe Cable will not work for Mac Pro if we do not cut off the Slips .However please kindly know that it can attached toTypicalPowerConnectorsinCoputerSecurely even if theFixingClips are been cut off."

After much effort, I finally got the connector attached to the SATA power for the 4th drive and the card installed. I powered on the machine and a red light was activated on the daughterboard with the processors. I noticed the fan in the back was not spinning, and then noticed a smell. As soon as I looked up at the PCI Card area, I quickly notices a big cloud of smoke coming from the area of the card. I pulled out the power cord to the machine. I touched the included power cord in an attempt too unplug it, and it was extremely hot. some of the plastic from the cord's wrapper melted on to my second graphics card (which thankfully is encased in a plastic shell.

Thankfully I tried this card out without putting the side door back on and sat on the ground next to the machine as I fired it up for the first time, otherwise I likely would have done irreparable harm to my machine. I have not tried adding a hard drive to the 4th bay again, as I fear there is likely damage to the SATA adapter.

I very strongly advise against this card purchase for any Mac Pro user, and given the complexity of powering the card, I am rethinking ever adding a USB 3.0 card to this machine.
on March 19, 2014
Purchased the unit and installed into a MacPro. First on OS10.7.5 Lion. Attached power cable to SATA drive power with cable supplied and the unit caused runaway fans. Downloaded latest drivers (lousy website for Mac users), uninstalled unit, installed drivers, restarted with unit installed, runaway fans had to hard shutdown again.
Got the Mac to restart normally after some resets. I decided to try it under Mavericks. Computer was fine under both OSs.
Changed start-up disk to Mavericks 10.9.2, unit is supposed to be "Compatible with Nature Driver. No Additional Driver and UtilityRequired". (Orico installation manual misspelling throughout) Thought I try the "Nature (suppose they mean 'native') Drivers. After reconnecting unit, it fried something on my MacPro. Removed card, reset SMC several times, reset PRAM, still no boot with either OS version and runaway fans. I think this unit is defective even though it has an inspection sticker on it. Pretty sure it shorted out somewhere sending voltage into logic board.
Thanks Orico
on August 16, 2014
Item fit into my case with no problem. Using Kubuntu 14.04 Linux, item was recognized and Fresco Logic chip driver installed automatically. Tested with USB 3.0 Buffalo 3TB backup drive and is working. However it has KILLED my other USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices plugged into it, including 2 new flash drives and my Seagate 1TB portable drive. THIS IS TRASH AND WILL DESTROY YOUR DEVICES' USB CONTROLLERS! KEEP AWAY!
on January 26, 2015
Update: Got hot and died 8 months later. I was not a regular user of the card, but I felt the heat coming off that card from outside my computer and discovered it didn't work any more. Checked the connections, but all seemed ok. Just died. Fortunately, my computer still works, so I suppose all wasn't that bad.

Works with MacPro 1,1 OS 10.7 BUT,,, You must install the driver and it is not easy. The instructions that come with the card lack needed detail.

• Power plug must be ALL the way to the left of the SATA slot. Plug will easily install improperly. Make sure it is correct.
• Must install GenericUSBXHCI.kext file into the \System\Library\Extensions\ folder.
• Must update permissions... The following must be typed into Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel GenericUSBXHCI.kext

• You must restart. If the copy doesn't take (make sure the file size is the same and not zero), then copy it again. It will work. Restart computer.

There is a good discussion on it at http://www.spaceman.ca/blog/?p=288. Good luck.
on November 20, 2014
Received this recently and installed into my MacPro5,1. Placed the ORICO card in the fifth PCI-e slot, which was closest to the power port from the fourth drive bay. System Information shows "USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Bus". My Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 RAID shows up fine when connected to it. Highly recommend this card to any Mac Pro owner.
review image
on July 20, 2014
Since I put it in my wife's computer I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly. However, it seems to work OK for her. I will know a lot more next time I do a full image backup. I certainly have no complaints about the thing. It was easy to install. Including the software, it went right in on the first try and worked when I plugged something into it to test it preliminarily.
on August 4, 2014
Works great on MAC and Hackintosh running Mountail Lion 10.8.5, plug and play and play smooth. For Windows the drivers are kinda hidden, since the site is not very clear about it since the product is not listed when looking fro drivers BUT looking to the Amazon picture, I was able to find it.
The driver is located here http://www.oricoonline.us/drive.aspx?did=39
For the money, one of the best cards you can buy.
on February 15, 2014
The card is going into a 2012 Mac Pro. the install went fairly easy, except that there was a bit of a deep depression in the bracket. it wouldn't fit properly, but a quick bend with some pliers fixed it fairly easily. Part two was finding a way to get power to it. the provided power cable is 4 pin Molex (what the card wants) to SATA power. if i didn't have every drive bay full, it would work out fine. so i assumed that i'd be able to run a splitter off the optical drive as there is a little wiggle room there.
looking at the machine, i couldn't find any easy way to run a cable from the optical bay into the hard drive bay / card bay. fortunately, i had an external power supply for an old PATA drive sled, so i just used that instead. i ran the cable out of one of the unused PCI slots and bingo, i had power.

I tested with a old style Seagate Goflex USB3 drive, and got about 40-50 MB per second transfer. better than usb but only just. i tried again with the usb3 converter into a new Crucial SSD and felt better, 200-250 MB per second transfers peak until i ran out of drive cache. so the speed is there provided you have something that can give and accept it.

so lost a point for needing a bit of physical adjustment and requiring an outside power supply. but the price is right. and it works.
[Edit]
so a few weeks in and had a few issues, somewhat easily solvable. first off, my external power supply is acting up, but kinda still works, so i found the card is really sensitive to questionable power supplies. i pulled an internal drive out and used the provided SATA power to molex cable and it worked fine.
Second, and possibly more of an issue, it doesn't like system sleep. if you leave a drive attached and it sleeps, it will force - dismount. so far no issues with that but its not good for my drive, and really makes a external backup drive not an option.
on October 25, 2014
Works like a champ in my MacPro 1,1 running on OS X 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10 without needing any drivers at all. I did't even use their power adapter, just stole the power from the optical drive and rerouted it through the case to the USB card and it works great!