Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Why do a few individuals feel the desperate need to troll Wheel of Time devotees?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 12:04:14 AM PST
I think it's a sense of personal impotence and a deep need to be heard by anyone willing to reply... and that's the key, eliciting a reaction.

I read somewhere that 40 million copies have been sold. Divide that by 13 (books published), that's 3,076,923 people on average who have bought the series, not to mention the hordes of people who have "borrowed" the books (friends, family etc).

So these trolls remind me of a joke: A mother, watching the passing parade, declares loudly: "Look! My little Johnny is the only one marching in time".

To all the little Johnnies who delight in trolling "the faithful": you'd have more luck converting devout Christians to Satanism than having 3 or 4 million WOT readers decide, based on the rantings of a few very ineloquent trolls, that they wasted 22 years of their life.

In short; the good people on the WWW have come to see trolls as the joke they are... yes amusing and somewhat annoying having to deal with such pitiable fools, who obviously think their repetitive screeching is changing the world or whatever it is they derive their jollies from.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:45:49 PM PST
Well trolling WOT and its fans is a pastime almost as old as the internet. I think it shows the strength of WOT that the trolls have always been so vehement. You can gauge success not only by how much adulation you receive but also by how much hate you receive. Most WOT trolls are really just fans themselves who have become disenfranchised for one reason or another, and I believe there is an old saying about something having no furry like a fanboy scorned, and if there isn't there should be. As for trolling in general you said it yourself "it's a sense of personal impotence and a deep need to be heard by anyone willing to reply".

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:22:22 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:36:35 AM PST
Hmmm off topic... unless you're a troll and attempting to justify the act. Tell me why it's so bloody important that everyone on earth embraces electronic media? And why do real book lovers suffer attacks for loving the smell, the feel, the experience of opening a book. I have a few kindles on my pc, but they annoy the crap out of me constantly having to scroll down, and my eyes burn after about half an hour. A good book I can read all night and look for more. One more question... why do technophiles screech so metaphorically bloody loudly when they don't get their own way?

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:56:14 AM PST
T. R. Wilson says:
Firstly a pc is NOTHING like reading on a real reader, its a totally different experience.

Until my girlfriend got me a reader a few years back i always hated reading on screen too.

Since getting one i would never want to go back to books, its a million times more convenient in lots of ways (easier to carry, can read with light off so not keep partner awake etc)

I certainly have no 'disrespect' to those who read normal books, like the smell etc but it works both ways

Imagine for a moment if you will, the book only being released on ebook, with months before dead tree copies were released. Can you honestly say you would not be annoyed?

I dont think anyone wants to hurt the author.. and a few ratings wont do that.

But some do want to try to send a message to tor... and yes have already emailed tor.

As far as 'die hard fans' are concerned, well i find it odd when people get really hardcore into anything (whether its tolkien fanatics, trekkies, wot fanatics etc) but- live and let live

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:17:53 AM PST
Firstly, you're in the wrong thread.

A number of possible replies crossed my mind Mr Wilson, but when I read that you still blamed Tor, especially after being told repeatedly that it has nothing to do with them, I decided it was an utter waste of time addressing specifics.

What part of "Jordan requested it, Harriet fulfilled it" don't you people understand?

Ok I'll grant you one specific. If my sustainable resource method of delivery was unavailable, being a true devotee I would read the conclusion by any method available, and I would NEVER be so inconsequential as to give an unread novel a low rating simply because I could not get my preferred method. How childish to refer to a book as a "dead tree", as if to elicit sympathy and gather recruits.

It has been fun, but this is getting increasingly intolerable dealing with such astounding levels of ignorance. I am finished debating with a broken record.

For those who came in late; TOR DID NOT DELAY THE ELECTRONIC DELIVERY METHOD, THE AUTHOR HIMSELF REQUESTED IT, AND HIS WIDOW FULFILLED HIS WISHES.

I bid you a less than fond adieu.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:35:29 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:39:22 AM PST
T. R. Wilson says:
skw

Well thats what tor have said anyway.. also ive since found tweets by sanderson saying he wanted ebook release at same time as hardback

I am inclined to believe sanderson to be honest, he really engages with followers a lot, in fact to be honest while im keen to read AMOL im actually more excited about the follow up to 'the way of kings'

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:49:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 18, 2013 6:48:36 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:59:28 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 14, 2013 12:58:30 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:08:36 AM PST
The series was a cash cow there was never any danger it wouldnt get finished. It was worth enough to bring a new author in to ghost the last like 5 books. I really dont see what she has to do with anything other than being tor's scapegoat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 9:10:53 AM PST
J. Ungerer says:
"skw says:
The series was a cash cow there was never any danger it wouldnt get finished. It was worth enough to bring a new author in to ghost the last like 5 books. I really dont see what she has to do with anything other than being tor's scapegoat."

DING-DING-DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:46:31 AM PST
chiwawa0540 says:
KEEP TROLLIN, TROLLIN, TROLLIN, TROLLIN, TROLL!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:49:50 AM PST
eric says:

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:34:20 PM PST
E. Mitchell says:
I'm one of the folks frustrated by the ebook delay--see elsewhere for my explanation of why it's not all about price and more about accessibility--but I strongly feel that making such comments about Robert Jordan's widow is very inappropriate. She made her decision based upon his wishes (and when he died, he could not have foreseen how the market and product would change) and while I disagree with her, yelling about her is uncool. At least she cared enough to put the series in Brandon's hands (a major fan with writing chops) instead of locking it down or rushing a finished and truncated book to market. However misguided I feel her implementation of RJ's request was, I can understand what Brandon means when he respects her reasons.

Addressing a question of Matrim's specifically: You ask why technophiles want everyone to embrace the digital. In this case, we're not asking that everyone embrace the digital but that our own access not be impeded. (See my post about old/disabled people with sight issues, joint issues that make holding a big book difficult, access and storage issues (those who travel for work or are deployed), allergy issues (allergic to book dust), space issue (tiny apartments) or time issues (being only able to read at night--backlit screen useful). Ebooks on small devices make access to books easier for many folks. Many of us wouldn't be buying the hardcover, not because of price, but because it actively wouldn't work with our life issues.

Note: I was quite a huge book lover, but after moving ten times in ten years, and learning that I need to moderate the dust sources in my life, I've given nine boxes of books to the public library (including my WoTs) and will only be buying digital in the future. I sympathise with your book-lovin' but in this situation, your book acquisition needs have been met, while mine are delayed. It's frustrating, because I won't be able to participate in threads where I might get spoilers. (I won't pirate the book or review bomb and have spoken out against both...but I definitely feel frustrated.)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:45:43 PM PST
ATC says:
Why do WoT fans always feel like they are being targeted? You all tend to act like everyone is out to get you when all of those that don't like this are also fans of the series.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:37:51 PM PST
NLM4501 says:
I have been reading this series for 20+ years and have on occasion "trolled" it myself. TBH there were a number of books and plot threads (Perrin & Faile anyone!!!!) in this series that deserved some serious trolling . especially to some of the diehards who still refuse to admit there are some shall we saw less than stellar moments in these books. My enjoyment has come from the totality of the series. If someone wants to "troll" me or my comments have at it - these are the interwebz people and it isn't like they are up in my face.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:27:50 PM PST
DING-DING-DING! WE HAVE A LOSER!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 3:56:41 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 9, 2013 11:34:32 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 4:27:45 PM PST
@Matrim
Such a joke, you are one of the biggest troller's and the most offensive poster I have seen in most of the discussions out here. You berate, condescend and belittle anyone that doesn't think like you do.
I really wonder how "real book lovers" are being attacked? It seems that the technophiles are the ones under attack, as you have your book already while we must wait 3 months for ours. This is extremely annoying as "real book lovers" don't spend as much buying books as technophiles do.
Oh how it must annoy you to see technology's growth and your inability to remain in the past.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 12:01:37 AM PST
T. R. Wilson says:
NLM4501 is right- there have been some amazing scenes in the series. Perrin defending the two rivers, dumais wells scene for example.

But theres also been a LOT of dross in some of the later books - chapter after chapter of people tugging braids and talking about 'woolheaded men'

And just the name of some characters would cause me to want to skip read.

Overall though its been one of my fave series of all time (my fave fantasy series is codex alera)

For myself the oddest thing i find with hardcore fans of anything is the aggressive way they react to any criticsm of the work- they really seem to take it as a personal insult somehow?. And that i dont get.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - January 8, 2013)
4.3 out of 5 stars (3,993)