Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Can you install the switch between the DSL modem and a linksys wireless router?
asked by Tomfred on January 6, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I am certain that you can, since the switch is merely directing the connection, but I prefer the other way around. Everything in my home is on the same subnet, and I pre-wired my house for ethernet in every room. I ran the modem to the router, and a port on the router to the switch. From there, every bedroom, living room and kitchen were connected at a central point.
Jamieson H. Dirkes answered on January 7, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
this is indeed what i do.
Joel Truher answered on January 7, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, you can place the switch in that position. But know that if you do, you are creating a DMZ area that is outside of your routed space. In other words, any devices you attach to the switch in this configuration (not below the router) will get their service from the modem, not the router. This will be ok if your ISP is willing for you to get more than a single DHCP (IP Address). It is far more common to place the switch after the router where the router can NAT all traffic into a single IP address.
Edwin answered on January 7, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
LaSmooz answered on January 7, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
What would be the purpose for doing that? I can only think that maybe the modem and the router are so far apart (over 300 feet) that you need a switch to repeat the signal between them? Does the wireless router have multiple switch ports? You can just chain this switch to a switch port (not the WAN port) on a router to add more ports/jacks for local devices (although even that occupies two ports - one from the router, and one from this extra switch).
Will answered on February 13, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have never tried this but doubt it. You need to go modem > router > switch. I don't see any reason to go with what you are suggesting.
Jim answered on January 7, 2013
Comment (1) | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
[Deleted by the author on Jan 7, 2013 10:37:50 AM PST]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product