Can installing this product over an old system fix a cloned computer?
asked by Booker w. Arnold on May 30, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
votes
I have no idea!
It was not the most up to date operating system on the market as advertised and when I found out I tossed it into the trash since I opened it I could not return it!
Red answered on May 30, 2013

A
votes
I really don't know but I prefer clean install with new OS.
Mike M answered on May 30, 2013

A
votes
First, I would format the hard drive (cloned computer) then install Windows 7. I am assuming that you would have already backed up your important data.
RumPunch answered on May 30, 2013

A
votes
A new system will not fix bad hardware
Nieuwendyk-25 answered on May 30, 2013

A
votes
Ok...Booker, When you say cloned, exactly what do you mean. Was the hard drive cloned from one old operating system to a new hard drive? Or do you mean that the current copy is or was duplicated from another computer (which makes it not legal). There are 2 ways normally to upgrade a legal copy of windows one is to do an upgrade from within Windows and the other is a custom or "clean" install, which wipes out all traces of the registry, but saves the old installation of windows in a folder called Windowsold. The Windows old folder will not boot, and programs will not run from it, but it is a good way to save .inf files, wall paper etc. If you do an upgrade, which can ONLY be done from within an operational install of Windows(except in cases where and upgrade version of Windows is used, but I do not think an upgrade version of Windows 7 Pro Sp1 is available.), then everything should work just fine, it should upgrade even a not so legal copy of Windows, but there is no concrete guaranty. This answer is as good as it gets with out knowing whether it is Windows XP or another copy of windows 7, I need more info.
Hope this helps, as for Windows 7 pro sp1, it works very well, I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.
Lynne Wilson answered on May 30, 2013

A
votes
RL Wilson is correct on his answer to you. Good luck.
Elaine Collins answered on May 31, 2013

A
votes
It's always better to do a clean install of any operating system. I don't know if you're talking about the computer as a clone that is running a Windows operating system or if you're talking about a Windows operating system which is a clone (copy) that's in the computer.
The first thing you might want to do is to find out if your computer can run a Windows 7 operating system or any other Windows operating system.
You will want to buy a Windows operating system if you want your computer to run a Windows operating system. I don't suggest getting an illegal copy of any Windows operating system. Stay legal and you can benefit from a Microsoft technical support. You get what you paid for.
If you're running an old computer and you don't have a lot of money to upgrade your operating system to a Windows operating system, then you might want to install a Linux Operating System for free. I will suggest you get Ubuntu Linux or Debian Linux Operating system.
You should install linux completely on your computer. Once you have installed a linux operating system, then you are ready to use your computer for a new computing experience.
Good Luck!
Albierte answered on May 31, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›