Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Garmin Portable Friction Mount forum

instructions for dashboard mount

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2009 1:59:54 PM PST
T. Bruno says:
I ordered this and feel like an idiot, it didn't come with any instructions and I can't seem to get the garmin to stay attached. Any help for the technically impaired would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2009 1:12:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2009 8:05:08 AM PDT
dsrussell says:
Hopefully, you've figured it out by now. If not (and for other people who may not know), do the following:

Take the arm assembly with the ball and slide it toward the back of flat surface within the beanbag mount (pressing down on the little lever). Once you release the lever, the mounting arm should be properly seated. You can now rotate this arm any direction you want. Once you've positioned the arm where you want, slide the locking lever to secure it.

Take the cradle of the Nuvi (make sure you take the Garmin off the cradle) and press it on the ball. It's a very tight fit, so you need to exert a lot of pressure (that's why you should do this with the Nuvi off the cradle). Once it snaps on, then mount the Nuvi to the cradle. You can readjust it any time you like by just releasing the locking lever and reposition the unit, then locking it when you are satisfied.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 7:35:53 AM PST
jane says:
Thank you__Thank you___Thank you! I have been struggling the past few days, trying to attach the cradle of my Nuvi. I didn't realize that I had to exert so much pressure, until I read your post.

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 11:16:33 AM PST
Jersey 52 says:
Okay I give up...just received my Nuvi 360 and ordered the Garmin Bean Bag Mount. But how does the assembly are/ball fit into the cradle?
Mine has the suction cup on the bottom and appears too big to fit into the mount. Am I missing something or jsut getting senile in my old age....Thanks

Posted on Feb 20, 2009 4:38:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2009 10:22:51 AM PST
dsrussell says:
Detach the cradle from the suction cup portion of the mount. To do this simply twist the cradle 90 degrees and pull. Once the cradle is off, follow the instructions I gave in the post above.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 11:55:33 AM PST
I did the EXACT SAME THING wht did you do to rectify this. I have been looking and CAN NOT find the mounting arm sold seperately. did you find one and if so WHERE.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 11:58:41 AM PST
I did the EXACT SAME THING wht did you do to rectify this. I have been looking and CAN NOT find the mounting arm sold seperately. did you find one and if so WHERE.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 8:40:35 PM PST
dsrussell says:
Carol: I'm not sure who you are writing this to, but you said you've done "the exact same thing". I'm confused. What thing? I'm also not sure what you mean by trying to buy an arm separately. If you've purchased this beanbag mount, the arm comes with this device. Do you mean the Garmin suction cup mount? If so, they sell them on Amazon (just make sure it's for your model). Do you mean the cradle? It's part of the suction cup mount (use the Amazon search function and type in: Garmin suction cup mount ... if that's what you are looking for).

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009 8:54:25 PM PDT
Mike G. says:
Thank you for your instructions. I figured out how to get the arm in the assembly but naturally the Garmin will not fit on it without the cradle. I was getting very frutstrated and since I purchased from Amazon went on line to see if I could look at the unit assembled. I read one review that mentioned you need to use the one part that comes with the Nuvi (Cradle) or else it won't work. After reading your comments on how to attach the ball to the cradle I was not afraid to apply pressure and it snapped right in. They should be paying YOU to write instructions for the company since they don't supply you with any. Thanks for making my day!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2009 6:20:16 AM PDT
dsrussell says:
You're most welcome, Eva. Happy motoring.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2009 7:27:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2009 7:28:32 PM PDT
M. Julian says:
I just purchased a Nuvi 255 and the Friction dashboard mount. The arm assembly that came with the Nuvi 255, the suction cup is too big for the mount, it won't slide in.....Help

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2009 11:16:47 PM PDT
dsrussell says:
M. Julian. Did you read my instructions above? If so, and you're still confused, I'll try to be more specific.

First things first. The suction cup mount assembly that came with your Nuvi is really two separate parts. Part one is the suction cup (with the arm and ball) and the other part is the cradle (this is what your Nuvi "clips" on to). Secondly, this friction (beanbag) mount has the same type of arm and ball interface as your suction cup mount.

1. One does NOT use the suction cup portion of the mount that came with your Nuvi to mount it to "THIS" brand of friction (beanbag) mount (there are beanbag mounts that differ from this model that do indeed require you to press the suction cup onto the flat surface).
2. Remove the cradle from the suction cup mount (you do this by twisting 90 degrees and pulling ... it comes off easily).
3. Attach the cradle to the Garmin friction mount by snapping the cradle onto the ball portion of the friction mount (this requires a lot of pressure).
4. Now mount your Nuvi to the cradle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 7:11:12 AM PDT
Tung Yin says:
I'm having a tough time as well. If I don't use the suction cup mount that came with the 760 nuvi we just bought, then there is no other "mount with the ball/arm"!? The Garmin friction mount that we also ordered from Amazon did not come with any arms in the package - it just came with the beanbag base. Did I get a package that is missing a part?

By the way, thanks so much to all who responded on this thread. I was going a bit batty trying to figure out why I can't attach the Garmin to the friction mount.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 10:49:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2009 10:49:59 PM PDT
dsrussell says:
"Did I get a package that is missing a part? "

Apparently, you ordered the other type of beanbag mount (the one(s) with the flat surface). As you can see by the picture of this mount, it has the ball/arm attachment.

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 6:53:42 PM PDT
I thought I was uniquely stupid until I read the other posts. This was my problem exactly. Thank you, dsrussell your help as been invaluable!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2009 1:19:59 AM PDT
dsrussell says:
Glad I could help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2009 9:12:32 AM PDT
J. Lindquist says:
Bless you for posting these instructions!! i felt like such a dummy, but once i opened my garmin box up again and saw that cradle thingy, with your instructions, it is a cinch!! I'm ready to hit the road now!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 12:10:03 PM PDT
I'm so glad that your post is still available. I couldn't begin to figure out what to do. You're a genuis!!

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:02:38 AM PST
Anna Lee says:
OK, It works if you attach the mount to the gps and then attach it to the ball mount. Snapped right on. This is not what was advised here, but it worked easily. Did not hurt the device at all. It was face down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:49:16 PM PST
Jean Fowler says:
Bless you. I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to put this thing together. You are the only
person who explained it in a way that made it easy to understand. THANKS A MILLION!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:52:03 PM PST
Karen Elaine says:
Thanks so much for the instructions. I, too, didn't know what to do with the parts and would have been very hesitant to press so hard on the cradle, without your assurance. All is well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 11:49:56 PM PDT
E. Lum says:
Thank you very much dsrusell. Your instructions were very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 2:57:49 PM PDT
Bunny008 says:
I am having trouble getting the suction cup to stay attached to the windshield. Any advice? I have no problem with the assembly. Many thanks.

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 10:52:50 PM PDT
Thank you to everyone on this thread. It took reading through here several times to finally get what I was supposed to do. Finally I realized there must be another part in the box that I hadn't seen--and there was. I had been looking at the suction cup arm and thinking that somehow the suction cup had to be removed to use the arm on the beanbag...then I came to, thanks to a post on here, that there was actually a separate arm part that fits the bean bag--and then I looked again in the box, and there it was. With the help of the instructions, once I had the right part, I was able to finally get this thing assembled. Garmin should be arrested for not including instructions with these things. Many of us are not mechanical engineers, which Garmin seems to assume we are.

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 10:31:41 AM PST
Just bought Garmin portable friction mount, fitted arm and ball to mount ok, but when fitted locking lever will not move, moves ok when arm and ball is removed, is device defective?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2015

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about