on May 11, 2012
**Update 12/4/2013: So I was able to find a cable on eBay that is compatible and I purchased it to see if that might be the problem. It was not, but I take back my previous comment about the cable. I just didn't look hard enough I guess. I then booted into Ubuntu to see if it was a Windows issue and bam, hard drive recognized. So I'm not sure if it is a Windows issue or a hard drive issue but Ubuntu found my stuff and I'm backing it up now. It should be noted that I tried the drive on an updated Mac with no success either. The hard drive still appears worthless on Windows machines but least I have my files now.**

**Update 10/28/2013: So, after a little over a year the device has died. Not as a result of a drop, a gun shot or a sledgehammer. I even made a point to always ensure the hard drive was "safe to remove" before unplugging it. Sadly, the computer simply stopped recognizing it, suggesting that the internals just stopped working. I've tried a few things to get it back up and running but to no avail. Unfortunately, I did not back up ALL the data (my fault but I really thought this would last longer than this) and I did not buy ioSafe's recovery service (again because I thought I'd get at least a few years out of it). Lesson learned. While the hard drive is surely better and more rugged than most, it too appears to suffer from the same problems as all others. I have to give up my quest to recover any data from the drive. Updated review - 3 out of 5 stars**

A little about how I ended up with my ioSafe - I travel quite a lot for work, and I need to take my work with me. So, up until the purchase of the ioSafe I was using just regular portable hard drives. Yes, plural. I made my first purchase in 2010 when I picked up a WD 500GB Passport (with some proprietary encryption software). Well, after a year (and after putting a year's worth of work on it), the hard drive stopped working. A computer would "recognize" it but the built in encryption software (which was not activated) and taken over and constantly demanded a password. Seeing as the software was not active I had no idea what password it was asking for. After trips to several data recovery places it was determined that all of my information was lost. That said, 95% of the information was backed up to a computer but I still lost a good amount of data. OK, no big deal I'll just purchase another hard drive. This time an off the shelf Imation 500GB hard drive. Well, what do you think happened. Roughly a year later, BAM - the hard drive stopped working.

At this point I had had enough. I started to shop around for something that could take a licking and keep on... going. I was on Engadget one day and noticed that ioSafe was giving away one of these drives. I put my name in the hat (because I was in desperate need of a portable drive for work) but no luck. After some online research and reviews I found myself on Amazon. Tech sites are great but I wanted customer reviews and this product's reviews were out of the park. So, I pulled the trigger.

Hard drive arrived, got it up and running and registered at ioSafe. Here is the interesting part, Robb, the CEO of ioSafe, apparently randomly emails new customers after they have registered to seek their input. I was one of those customers. While not related to the hard drive itself, Robb was outstanding and great to talk to. If nothing else I think the fact that the CEO reaches out to customers the way Robb does says a lot about the philosophy behind this company. After Robb and I finished talking I told him that I'd wait a couple weeks before I wrote a review, just to make sure the product really was what everyone claimed it was (check out YouTube videos of this thing getting shot and submerged and still work!).

Well, I had the drive for about a week and it had its first "test." I was returning from DC and if anyone has been in and around DC during rush hour, it is insane. Traffic sucks as usual and I have my work laptop in the back of the car in a bag with the hard drive. Well, wouldn't you know it at one point I have to slam on my breaks so hard that the laptop bag w/ hard drive go flying off the bag seat, hit the front seat and fall to the floor. Not that this is scientific in any way but got back to work, hooked it up and no issues. Granted this was just one "jolt" but still I'm sure there are plenty of drives that would have failed based on that fall alone.

As for the product itself:

Construction - This thing is a beast! Just holding it you know that you've got a quality product in your hands.
Transfer speeds - Great. Plus with USB 3.0 (assuming your CPU has it) you can transfer lightning quick.
Durability - Like I said, check out the YouTube videos. This is a tough piece of equipment.
ioSafe Services - This is great! You get a 1 year data recovery service (no questions asked) for FREE. And when you register you can purchase additional coverage so if you do happen to drop your ioSafe from the peak of Mt. Everest and it hits every rock on the way down and does stop working, they will work to get your data back.
Customer Service - Amazing! Like I said, Robb was excellent and the fact he even makes the effort to seek our feedback on products or ideas says a lot about ioSafe.

As I use the drive more, I may update this review but if you're in the market for a rugged, dependable hard drive that you can hit with a sledgehammer, submerge in water and then shoot with a shotgun without losing any data, this is it! And for the price you can't go wrong!
on September 9, 2011
I shopped around for portable external hard drives but Seagate and WD portable hard drives all have problems if dropped. And then I came across a CNET review about this bullet-proof hard drive, ioSafe. Quite impressive!

It is small but built like a tank and sure it can withstand bullets. I travel a lot and this small hard drive give me peace of mind that it will survive any outside impacts. Transferring data is really fast with 3.0 USB connection. Even with 2.0 connection, it still faster than my old drive.

More over, I got mail-in rebate for $50.00 that help bringing down the price to $80.00; around the same price with other brand names but it provides more protection. Very good deal. If you are looking for a reliable portable hard drive, this will fit your need.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 11, 2011
This is such a reliable hard drive, its light weight and very portable. I accidentally knocked it off my desk, I instantly plugged it in and there was no problems and it still looked good.I recommend this to anyone.
on December 3, 2011
This is my first first external hard drive purchase, and I wanted to buy something that I would not need to replace anytime soon. It was simple to format to my MacBook, easy to use, and it transfers files quickly even though I'm still using USB 2.0.

In addition to backing up my laptop, I got the drive to use as storage for large, high quality music files for my side job/hobby as a DJ. I needed something that could withstand the chaos of a crowded club environment where liquids often get spilled and smaller pieces of gear can get knocked off the table. The ioSafe Rugged Portable drive will definitely be able to take that abuse, and I'm confident that it will outlast my current laptop.

As an added bonus, the drive looks very attractive with its sleek and minimal design. Highly recommended!
on October 20, 2011
I have your basic external hard drive for one of my older XP laptops. It doesn't get used much anymore and its traveling days are over. I recently purchased a new laptop and was looking for a better way to backup my files than with an ordinary, exposed external drive. In the past I purchased two ioSafe Solo external hard drives for business use and they performed well. I was pleased to discover that ioSafe had a new portable drive. I'd been so content with the Solos that I purchased a rugged portable for my new laptop. I've been using it for about a week and it has worked flawlessly. It's not fireproof or waterproof but it's sure solid and now I'm not concerned about the rough handling it'll encounter in my travels. As a bonus I received Genie backup software with the unit. I opted not to go with cloud storage because as I archive files from my local drive to an external drive the cloud will no longer see the files and delete them from their servers. (Understandable, as they provide backup services not storage services.) Now I have total control over what gets saved, backed up, archived or deleted. All this in an attractive, seemingly bullet proof package. All in all I am a happy customer.
on March 2, 2012
Lightweight - compact and beautifully designed, one would think this product was created by APPLE itself. The package contained all accessories as advertised and is a must buy for anyone looking to backup their data. It works flawlessly with Time Machine and the entire initial backup required just over an hour to complete. Be aware though that the ioSafe has been designed for PCs and requires reformatting before use with Macs. I strongly urge that you DO NOT FOLLOW the formatting instructions in the accompanying 'User Manual'. The two changes I would suggest is to make 2 PARTITIONS rather than the ONE PARTITION ioSafe instructs us to do thus allowing you the flexibility to use and backup a diff OS on the second partition or for specific data/files you wish saved. In addition, choose the 'GUID Partition Table' if your Mac runs on an INTEL chip and NOT the outdated 'APPLE PARTITION MAP' as described in the instructions. This not only standardizes the formatting to the one already used on your Mac's hard-drive but also allows you to boot-up from the ioSafe itself as well as avoid the glitches others have encountered. A superior product at a reasonable price - what's not to like?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2012
When I am on the road I am terribly paranoid about data loss. Here's a nightmare scene - you travel to Italy from the U.S., you take your old laptop because you've heard horror stories about Customs arbitrarily seizing and holding for ransom various computers, your old hard drive fails with all of your cool new Italy images onboard. Life as you know it ends.

This could have been me...but because I am extra anal about backup...it wasn't.

I've used dozens of different portable hard drive solutions to store, backup and archive my digital photographs in the field, but after extensive testing, I am switching to the ioSafe.

The ioSafe Rugged Portable 500 GB drive costs less than $200 most places. It's a 5400 RPM 500 GB drive made of billet-machined aluminum and titanium. It's compact, beefy, well-built, reliable and comes with a Kensington® Lock compatible slot. It weighs two pounds and connects to my MacBookPro with a Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 cable.

The company advertises this as a rugged, go-anywhere drive that's perfect for harsh environments. Based on my experience, that's accurate. They boast that it's even waterproof. I haven't tested that claim but based on everything else I've seen, I'd believe it.

During my testing, I filled the drive with data, then, in a real-world situation, knocked it off my desk onto a carpeted floor. No damage - no data loss. I then got a bit tougher. I took it out into the studio, held it over my head and let go onto the tile floor. Some cosmetic damage to the drive, but no data loss. I am convinced.

The company says that the drive is "crush protected" up to 5,000 pounds. I don't know what that means but it sounds good. They also offer a data warranty and recovery service which you have to activate when you purchase the drive.

ioSafe specializes in what they call "disaster-proof hardware." They have made bigger versions of this drive and a version that is USB 3.0 only. All are reasonably-priced given their speed, build-quality and performance. But they are NOT the cheapest portable drives you can buy - not by a long shot. But as my dad used to say, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 motorcycle helmet. I consider my photographic data to be my prize possession so I don't want the cheapest portable drive. I want the best. I was particularly drawn to these drives because of my intended use, i.e., when I am on the road.

While ioSafe seems more well-known in the Mac community, this drive works on our lone Windows PC test machines with no problem.

No drive is perfect and they all fail eventually, but I think the ioSafe is about as reliable as they come.

Highly recommended.
on February 7, 2013
was so pleased with first one that I bought another. Easy to use, reliable, rugged.... The company solicits feedback and has a link to software if you want it (and at no additional cost). No regrets. Yes it is expensive but this product reflects the adage: you get what you pay.
on May 3, 2012
Cliffs: This is a high quality, plug and play, and user friendly device offered by a proactive & customer oriented company, leaving me with very high impressions of both the product and the company offering it.

I ordered this external HDD as an offsite backup for our small company. First impression was that this is a high quality product, at least in the tactile sense. Upon registering the S/N you are provided a link to Genie Timeline backup software, which is not required but I highly recommend using with this product. With the HDD connected, this software simply runs in the background performing incremental backups every couple of minutes. Shortly after registering the S/N the CEO of IoSafe emailed me asking for my thoughts on the product - as someone who works for a small business as well I understand the importance of proactive customer support as well as the need for feedback regarding one's products and services. I luckily have not yet had to recover data from the drive but all indications are it will be as simple as it was to set up.
on March 21, 2012
Product was easy to set up with MAC--instructions for MAC users were concisely written out. Product construction was very satisfactory--it looks and feel tough. Although I did not engage in any experiments/trial to challenge the product's advertised toughness against drop, water, weather etc. I picked this product because it was a US-company, in comparison to Trancend and A-Data--which are foreign based company (Taiwanese I think, if my memory saves me right). I recommend this product to anyone looking for a druable external hard-drive.

See 1 answered question