Apple iPad (first generation) MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi)
Used & New from: $84.00
ipad as sheet music reader i'm a musician, and i carry a lot of sheet music around. has anyone used the ipad to read music? practicing or live? would the kindle be better for this?
asked by Michael Cole-Rodgers on May 11, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 answers
A
AirTurn AT-104 with Boss FS6 Dual Pedal
This is an AirTurn automatic page turner with a dual pedal Boss FS 6 for turning pages forwards and backwards with your foot. The AirTurn works wirelessly with Mac and PC computers, and is a great way to read music and turn pages hands free. Hope this helps!
Hugh Sung answered on May 11, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You might find this article helpful in considering the iPad as a music reader.
http://airturn.com/newsflash/first-look-at-musicreader-for-ipad-app
I wouldn't advise using a Kindle due to its slow page refresh speed - I personally use tablet pcs to read my music, but the iPad is a compelling option, and we're working to develop an automatic page turning footswitch for it.
Hugh Sung answered on May 11, 2010
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I prefer using forScore. It's much cheaper than musicreader's desktop app that's needed for transferring music, and does the job well. The recent upgrade of the app has fixed any reservations I previously would've had about recommending it.
Dan Nunes answered on June 6, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I was at a concert the other night and while watching musicians hurriedly reaching to their music stands to flip the pages, I got this ah=ha moment; an idea in my head of a future time, watching a similar venue: musicians using a wireless foot pedal/mouse that is used as an auto page turner of downloaded sheet music on an iPad. Hands free and the screen lighted depending on ambient light source. This could revolutionize the whole industry, especially from the way you currently buy sheet music. Think about it! I googled a few words and found this link. Great idea! While there will be an initial hefty investment for hardware, music will be cheaper to buy as an internet download and welcomed freedom for the "second fiddle" page turner and a great application for a concert pianist.
Jere Wiegand answered on June 15, 2010
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have used the MusicPad Pro for about 5 years, but with my bad eyes I need something brighter, and more crisp. I've also run into trouble playing daytime gigs anywhere outdoors or near a window. Converting file to freehand file has a tendency to make the notes and print less clear as well. I want to have a LOT of music at my fingertips and with the IPAD I can't use a thumb drive, am I right? 16 gigs seems kind of piddly, but the battery life on the pad seems exceptional. I'd never have to worry about hunting for electrical outlets near the piano. Touch or swipe page turns for me are do-able even though I'm a pianist. My biggest worry is being able to read clearly a full piano score. I have been also eyeing the EEE Slate at over 12 inches, but I'm sure the battery life is maybe a couple of hours at best. Everywhere retail place I see the IPAD I ask how does sheet music scan in and read on it - NO ONE can ever give me any concrete answers because aparently reading music scores went out with gangsta rap. I'm frustrated that I can't try one out and see and I'm not spending $800 on a device that doesn't do what I need it to do. Can anyone give me more info even if it is just opinion?
Miss Mewsic answered on February 7, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
AirTurn just announced that they're developing a Bluetooth version of their hands free page turning pedal that will be compatible with the iPad. You can read about it and see a video demo of the prototype here:

http://airturn.com/press-releases/ipad-bluetooth-page-turner-footswitch-prototype-from-airturn-inc

The Bluetooth AirTurn page turner will be available Q4 2010.

ForScore is one of the developers that AirTurn is collaborating with for compatibility with the new Bluetooth page turner, among others.
Hope this helps!
Hugh Sung answered on July 17, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just came back from tour in Japan (played the Billboard live clubs). I use the program I wrote - unrealBook for my music reading needs. I am also in contact with the airturn.com guys about implementing a footswitch page turning solution too.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/unrealbook/index.html

You don't have to wonder if unrealBook works on stage. I use it all the time!
Aron answered on September 1, 2010

A
I use the I pad for music and love it . It is bigger than a Kindle all I need now is the foot pedal to turn pages.
S. Woolley answered on January 23, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Here's a video of iGigBook a iPad sheet music reader app that indexes many of the books that musicians use on gigs so that they can quickly search for tunes by song title or composer. The company also created a companion app called iGigBook Pager which turns any iPhone or iPod touch into a wireless page turner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4jmELJD5z0
Philip A. Smith answered on November 17, 2010

A
I approached EMI about this idea about 20 years ago!!!!!
They werent interested
M. C. Moss answered on December 5, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product