5.0 out of 5 stars The best kept secret in Video/Audio Players

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite ready for Prime Time
Published on December 15, 2008 by D. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite ready for Prime Time, December 15, 2008
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
I've got the 8gb SPINN, and have had it long enough to write a long review on my blog ([...] I've also got an iPod Touch and a Samsung P2 for comparison. The SPINN's firmware is still buggy. Using Bluetooth (limited to headphone pairing only) the sound drops out, slows down, or gets choppy after 10 minutes of use or if trying to use any other function (photo or text) on the SPINN. It's as if bluetooth steals all the SPINN's processor cycles. The interface is limited to one font, and that font is hard to see on many backgrounds. There is a Fonts folder, so hopefully there are more fonts available. While playing music the album art only shows up as a tiny image on the big screen. Very poor utilization of the screen. In photos there is no rotate options, and trying to zoom any photo gives me an error message.

The SPINN is firmware upgradeable, and hopefully there will be an upgrade soon. There are a few THEMES available, but none work well with the single font supplied.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kept secret in Video/Audio Players, December 26, 2008
A. Octavio (Weston, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
I just can't believe how many reviews of this product jump over the obvious facts. And I mean professional reviews, not the ones here on Amazon. The screen is simply amazing to look at! Forget the technical details like it is an OLED screen and it only has thousands of colors, just look at it! Watch a video on it! It plays normal .avi files without any conversion. On top of that it works acceptably as a podcast player.

The only negative thing is the lack of knowledge about this product. Even the company seems clueless about it, it says in irs site that it requires Windows, but, by changing a setting, you can use it with Linux or Mac OS X without a problem. The software is for Windows, but the player works. It isn't perfect, the interface could use some improvement and I have lost any hope of finding fonts, themes, and games for the SPINN, as no one seems to be paying attention to it. Which is a pity, a world where there are only iPods as Mp3 players is as sad as a world where there is only Windows as an OS.

If you do not like the iPod, give the SPINN a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy premium rival to iPod Nano, November 30, 2008
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
I haven't made long term use of this elegant little player, but I'm pleased so far. The design itself owes much to those created by Dieter Rams for Braun (and promoted on the iriver worldwide site). The AMOLED screen has very excellent black levels, but it can only display 262k colors.

The interface is simple to use, though I hardly bothered with the touch screen. You can avoid finger prints on the screen.

I wish that the entire case was magnesium alloy. Most of it is except for the plastic back. Also, the port cover is a little flimsy. This wouldn't be a problem, but there is no alternate port to connect it for charging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer support, September 1, 2009
Virginian (Rosslyn, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
This is a nice product with decent features, good sound, etc. However, ours is defective and iriver has refused to fix it.

When the battery on the SPINN runs dow, the date resets to sometime in 2005. Not a huge problem in and of itself, but it has the side effect of confusing Rhapsody, so that none of the licensed content will play. It was very difficult to figure out how to fix this problem: relicensing certainly didnt help. nor did formatting from windows or Rhapsody. iriver support happily blamed Rhapsody for this problem and was no help. Eventually I figured out how to use the SPINN reformat capability (which I found is a VERY unintuitive place) to format the drive. A couple hours later, after all the songs were reloaded, we were good to go - for a few days, when it happened again.

I contacted iriver, who admitted that this was not normal operation, but explained that if I charged it enough I could live with it. I asked to have the SPINN repaired, and after verifying that I was under warrantee, they sent me an RMA. I mailed the SPINN in, waited two weeks, and got it back with a note that they had changed the settings to change the discharge rate! When the battery dies - and it has - I still need to reformat the SPINN.

Two weeks later, iriver has yet to answer any of three emails I have sent them asking them to honor their warrantee.

Stay away!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem..., June 13, 2009
Dong Hyun Won "Dong" (New York, Brooklyn USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
Ok. So my mom has one and we always have a problem with this. Every time the battery dies out or is completely drained it will not turn back on. Like we tried charging it and everything, but it doesn't even recognize the charger or whatsoever. It just will not work once the battery is completely drained. This is not the first time either,we've sent it twice to the manufacturer because of this problem and today it happened again. Although my mom should just charge more often instead of letting it die like that. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. Plus i don't like their service either, they take forever and asked us the same question over and over again. I don't know if this has happened to others, but it has happened to us many times..

4.0 out of 5 stars put a "spinn" on your music, June 28, 2010
Ariel (Teotihuacán) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
The iRiver Spinn stands pretty well on it's own. The sound quality is excellent and the numerous features it offers over similar MP3 players is a plus as well. After being an iPod owner for several years I wanted a change and boy did I get it! The only thing I wish the player had was a speaker similar to its earlier model the iRiver E100.

Pros:
Drag-and-drop feature (doesn't require software to add music)
Lightweight
Multiple Files Supported
Video/Photo supported
Text Supported
Flash supported
Microphone
FM recording/FM Tuner
Touch Screen

Cons:
Player resets itself when battery dies (including the date, radio presets and time)
Not MicroSD expandle
No search command (must scroll through the library)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good player, February 18, 2010
Rajesh Kumar (Torrance, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
First of all I must say that the looks itself will make you buy this item. The Spinn feature is really attractive and easy to use for navigation and selection. Touchscreen is not that intuitive but works well. FM recording is also a good feature to look at. The sound quality is great. The video quality on 3.3 inch OLED screen is awesome. It is very light and portable. Overall a good player under $100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than an iPod, August 1, 2010
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
This has more features than an iPod, better sound quality, is easier to manage and maintain, has better video quality, and is much more flexible. There are some quirks, though. FLAC files won't play if blutooth is running and the interface can be slow when blutooth is running. However, it's great to own a portable media player that allows me to drag and drop songs onto the device and can play more than one type of file without additional conversion (which destroys the sound quality).

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad choice, May 31, 2010
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
Here is why I bought this player:

- I liked the iRiver Clix2, but the audio jack on mine broke and I didn't want to fix it. My impression of iRiver was that they made solid products, with a lot of custom features, which appealed to me
- It looked comparable to an iPod Touch (in screen size, for example), but much cheaper
- It had bluetooth, and I wanted to buy a pair of Motorola S9 headphones to go with it (another review... don't buy those either), for when I exercise

Here is why you should not buy this player

- The software is awkward to use and navigate through, unlike the Clix2
- Unlike the Clix2, you need to use iRiver's proprietary software to manage your music. This software is terrible.
- The touch screen is unresponsive and frustrating
- Using bluetooth while exercising didn't work. Whether this was the fault of the player or the headphones I don't know, but every time I exercised, the music would cut out at least once within a period of 10 minutes, and I had to reset everything (not fun when you're on a treadmill). Watching video and using Bluetooth at the same time was impossible, the device clearly just didn't have enough processing power to handle both.
- The last straw: lately my power button appears to be on the fritz, so that I can't shut off the player sometimes, and other times I can't turn it on.

In short, this player is going to disappoint you. I don't know what the best non-iPod alternative is out there, but this is definitely not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars sleek with great sound, September 7, 2012
This review is from: iriver SPINN 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Silver) (Electronics)
I needed to replace my Latte Espresso media player my wife had gotten me for my birthday due to it falling off my bed and being damaged beyond repair .

So I started looking at Cowon because I have always been pleased with the sound quality from my other Cowon purchases in the past but was intrigued by the look of the Iriver spinn and almost got one at the original price of $300 ,so when I found one here that was an open box unit I thought what do I have to lose .

I paid only $68 and I would have been pleased with this even if I was forced to pay the original price ,it sounds wonderful and for me it is easy to navigate and the build quality is second to none.
I have owned over 40 digital media players including many ipods an because I have most of my music in flac and because sound quality matters most to me I will continue to look at Cowon products first but after having a great experience with the spinn I guess Iriver will also be on my radar for future purchases

Rate and Discover Movies