4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not perfect
I got this one from Bestbuy and have enjoyed it for three days.

Pros:

--the sound quality (and the recording quality) is great, not less than or even better than iRiver iFP 700 series and iFP 800 series which use Philips chips;

--the design is very cool, far more than the above two series;

--the size is amusingly...
Published on August 22, 2005 by Sam Club

Published on March 2, 2008 by Walter L. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not perfect, August 22, 2005
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
I got this one from Bestbuy and have enjoyed it for three days.

Pros:

--the design is very cool, far more than the above two series;

--the size is amusingly small;

--the battery life is great ( I am still using the one that came with the player);

--If you have installed Windows Media Player 10 in your computer, it can be used directly as a UMS, without the need to chage firmware.

Cons:

--Unbelievably, no FM tuner!!!

--No armband or belt clip!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars worth a look, or 2 ...., November 22, 2005
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
With Christmas appraoching I wanted to beat the rush and get a MP3 player as a gift for my son. I read reviews like this till all hours trying to decide. I have an I RIver 795 that I have used for over a year with little trouble and still works fine. I thought about an I-pod shuffle, but I think this is a much better value with a display and settings and most importantly a battery. The thought of having to recharge a player on your computer like the I-pods is just not practical. I asked about a wall charger at Best Buy - 40 extra dollars - no thanks. My I-River runs forever on a double A. I already loaded all the songs he wants on with Windows Media Player 10 - which comes with the player if you don't already have it. I think MP 10 is relatively easy to use but I know some people don't like it.

I got the 512 MB version for 100 bucks, not bad. It is very small and has a nice blue display. Sounded good and has an eq to adjust to your liking. I didn't see another disc to manage the songs once they are on the player so I will have to figure that out in December. The I-River is a good value for the money and with the protection plan at Best Buy your covered for 2 years so they say. I would add that I use WMA files only - this just makes things easier. I tried Rhapsody and could not get any files onto my player. Napster takes only a few minutes so I use it. If you need a basic player and can do without the hype of an I-pod, this is worth a look. I think if you read the reviews of the other brands that will help narrow down the choices. Happy hunting....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea if you care to lose warranty, March 6, 2006
Ondra Hosek (Vienna, Austria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
Overall, apart from the USB protocol, I'd like to rate this player as good. Audio quality is outstanding, Ogg Vorbis support nice, battery consumption bearable.

Unfortunately, iRiver decided to make a nicely anti-competitive deal with Microsoft to use the Media Transfer Protocol (a [in Microsoft terms] standardised protocol for transferring media based on the Picture Transfer Protocol) instead of the USB Mass Storage protocol popularised by USB flash drives. Due to the open nature of the UMS standard, most USB-compatible operating systems support it, whilst the support for MTP is heavily lacking at best: the user is confined to Windows XP (and Windows Media Player 10, even though more MTP-compatible players for Windows are popping up). Primitive support is possible with gPhoto under Linux and Mac OS X users can just stay out.

If warranty is not a sacred term to you, the website [...] has the Hongkong-Australian drivers to make your T30 UMS-compatible. The instructions can be viewed on-site; the list of benefits and sacrifices is as follows:

Benefits:

* UMS support (i.e. compatibility with Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and any other inclined system)

* Vorbis Comment (Vorbis's IDv3 tag equivalent) support (MTP seems to be transferring this data outside the file, so the player doesn't seem to feel obliged reading it from the file)

* EU versions: French law limiting maximum volume worked around

Sacrifices:

* Warranty

* Player itself if firmware update is aborted before completing (e.g. due to power shortage)

* The player "name" (can be reset via menu)

(* I'm not sure about DRM-encumbered WMA files...)

The player still seems to have the long list of languages even after the update (you aren't confined to English and Cantonese).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent player. Exactly what I needed, December 18, 2006
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
I bought this player to take on a trip.

I knew that I would be away from a computer, could not "recharge" the battery so that took away the IPOD line that requires access to a PC. This unit has a SINGLE AAA battery. I bought a pack of LITHIUM AAA batteries for the trip and knew that I could always buy more if needed. (At home I use rechargeable AAA batteries so the cost for playing is minimal.)

For the two week trip, I loaded my player with old time radio shows, 2 audio books from audible.com (each one more than 25 hours of play) and lots of music. To use the books, I had to connect to the manufacturer's website and upgrade the installed software. Took minutes. Once I did, the books worked great. Could even bookmark my spot and come right back in. The 13 hour plane flights and days of train travel was made even more pleasant with this little player. The books tend to use more battery time than music, but I still got more than 20 hours of play from regular alkalines and close to 30 on lithium.

The sound quality is superior to some MP3 players I tried, even without using the built-in graphic equalizer. I used the regular earbuds it comes with for a couple weeks (very nice quality) then switched to a LARIAT style headset so I only had one set of cords around my neck.

The buttons are large enough and spaced well so the controls are easy to use. The backlit feature is adjustable in brightness and for how long it stays on. Plugged in a set of speakers (available at any drug store for portable cd player) to this unit at my office and so everyone can here what is on my player.

I HIGHLY recommend this player! There is NOTHING missing on this player. You will not have to settle when you get this player.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Iriver Music Player - NO LONGER a Music Player for Linux Users!, March 2, 2008
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
If you are a Linux user, DON'T be fooled by the lure of this players ability to play OGG-Vorbis music files. This player uses a Microsoft only interface called "Music Transfer Protocol", or MTP, and can only be accessed by Microsoft Windows Media Player, version 10. (And by what I have been reading on the blog groups this player is also not usable by Macintosh Apple - MacOS-X users.)

It would seem that the Iriver Corporation has "partnered" with Microsoft and have turned their backs on their Linux customers by not producing a comparable Linux upload utility or even making it so we can convert the unit to a UMS device (USB mass storage) so we can use it too.

I am VERY sorry and disappointed that I bought this music player (based on my good experience with my IFP890, UMS enabled) only to find out that I can't use the unit because I can't upload music to it.

If you are a Linux user, the Iriver T30 (and possibly other later models.) is NOT the music player for you! SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T BUY IT!!

Thank you for reading this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent player with problematic Audible file implementation, October 13, 2006
gordonbw (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
I was looking for a "do-it-all" player for music, voice and audiobooks. Although the iRiver T30 handles the first two functions pretty well, I advise you not to buy this unit for its support of Audible files. In this mode it works (sort of), but I have discovered several very annoying quirks.

As soon as I use the voice recording feature, the unit:

1) Will not save bookmarks in an Audible file.

2) Will not retain the last position in memory when I exit from an Audible file.

When this happens, the only solution I have found is to completely reformat the device and reinstall the operating system.

As well, when the unit's battery runs out in the middle of listening to an Audible file, the entire file is no longer recognized by the player. I must load a new copy of the file to continue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice player if you upgrade the firmware, June 16, 2006
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
This was one of the first 1GB flash players that supported subscription music services.

When I initially purchased this player, I disliked it. It wouldn't play OverDrive audio books (32kbps), and does not sort files well. I tried the early firmware upgrades, and they did not fix the audio book problem. However, the recent upgrades now support lower-quality audio, AND firmware 1.71 supports Audible.

I don't mind the default MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). It was frustrating at first, but if you use playlists as documented in the user guide, MTP works fine. If you don't like it, you can now switch to UMS (USB Mass Storage) which allows you to use the T30 like an external hard drive.

One thing that still really annoys me is the battery cover. It falls off all the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars no Windows 2000 support, January 7, 2006

work which has a Window XP Professional installed, it just

works fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall excellent little unit, November 18, 2005
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
As a device to hold downloaded music this device is fine. The sound quality is excellent, the battery life is long, and its physically tiny and weighs nothing. It comes with good quality ear bugs with a nice long cord. As long as you have some kind of pocket on your body you don't need a strap or case.

I choose this device because it has line-in and voice recording to mp3 format files. In an earlier version of this review I incorrectly stated that one couldn't retrieve recorded mp3 files from the device. This is not correct.

In fact you CAN retrieve voice and line-in recorded files from the T30 once you install MS Media Player version 10. The device will appear in your file explorer under the 'my computer' folder, where you can copy your recorded files from the T30 to your computer.

You can also use the Yahoo Music Engine to sych files with the T30 as well as Media Player 10.

The interface to activate recording is tricky. You'll want to be sure and practice a few times before you attempt to record something critical. The quality of the voice and line-in mp3 recordings is excellent.

In general the user interface not terrible, but certainly not 100% intuitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent sound quality, April 17, 2007
This review is from: iriver T30 1 GB MP3 Player (Electronics)
I've had my T30 for about 6 months and have used it extensively. I bought it because it has excellent sound quality. I listen to classical and acoustic music from reference quality recordings and always use high bit rate MP3s using good encoders (LAME 3.97). The earbuds it comes with are about average (crappy) but I use Etymotic ER-6 phones which are absolutely fabulous especially for classical music. The T30 has plenty of power to drive the ER-6 to levels beyond what my ears can handle.

The iRiver T30 sounds better than other MP3 players, both subjectively and objectively. I measured the frequency response, noise and distortion and found it to be excellent. With all EQs disabled, frequency response is within 0.5 dB of flat from 20Hz to 20 kHz and within 0.25 dB of flat for most of this range. Noise is below -90 dB and distortion is -70 dB or lower. This is as good as any MP3 player gets.

Playing high quality VBR files (LAME 3.97, VBR V0), the T30 goes for about 16 hours with a NiMH AAA 1000mAH rechargeable. Firmware upgrades are smooth & easy and it can operate in UMS mode which works on all operating systems and enables it to be a USB drive for generic file storage. It also records, which I haven't used much but is a nice plus.

1 GB isn't enough for anyone's entire music collection, but even with high quality MP3s it's more than enough for the 1 week business trips I take. I reload it with new music for each trip. It transfers files at about 3 MB / second so it takes about 5 minutes to transfer the entire 1 GB.

In short - it's compact and durable with the best sound quality you can get in an MP3 player. And it's inexpensive - can be found for well under $100 if you shop around.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›